Miracle Whip recipe?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Miracle Whip recipe?

Postby Patt » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:18 am

I grew up using Miracle Whip instead of Mayo. Anyone heard of a non-fat substitute or a recipe for a non-fat MW substitute?
Patt

Try this.....

Postby S B » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:32 pm

This is more of an idea than an exact recipe, but it may work.

Try adding some lemon juice or vinegar of your choice AND a little sugar or stevia or whatever you use for a sweetener AND perhaps a pinch of salt (if you can use it) to a McD mayo recipe. I have done this and have gotten similar to Miracle Whip. I do not know the amounts because I did not measure -- I simply added the extra ingredients until the mixture tasted good to me.

I grew up on Miracle Whip instead of mayo, too. I used to LOVE the SAD potato salad Mama used to make containing it. Basically, the dressing was a mixture of Miracle Whip (and maybe a little regular mayo -- not sure and will never know, now, because and she passed away over 15 years ago), some very finely minced raw onion, a little sweet pickle relish (or some vinegar from the relish), a little prepared yellow mustard, a little celery seed (or some very finely minced raw celery), and a little salt & pepper. (I do not remember if she used hard boiled eggs in it -- but we McDers would NOT be using them, anyway.) Then she topped her pretty light yellow potato salad with a sprinkling of paprika to make it even prettier and tastier.

I have made similar potato salad using McD type mayo fixed-up to taste something like Miracle Whip. Of course, I used less salt than Mama used to use in her potato salad -- and about 1/4 to 1/3 of the small amount of salt I did use was potassium salt. The result tasted ALMOST as good as Mama's!

Hope this helps!
S B

Postby Patt » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:07 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I grew up on it too. It's going to be rough come Thanksgiving... turkey sandwiches with Miracle Whip and salt has been my favorite meal of the season. This will be my first holiday season McDougalling.

Time to get inventive, I guess.
Patt

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning