Squash

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Squash

Postby gbrowne » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:30 am

I'd like to try cooking squash--so far I've "mastered" the basic zucchini squash. But, I'm interested in expanding my repertoire so that I get more variety, especially during the winter. It's just me and my husband, so those huge squashes seem like too much. I really want a squash that I can bake and eat like a potato...does this make sense? What do you all like to use? Thank you!
"The candle that gives light to others must itself be consumed. Thus we also have to act. We ourselves are consumed to give a good example to others." St. Charles Borromeo
gbrowne

buttercup squash

Postby Anne » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:04 am

Our favorite winter squash is buttercup squash (that's butterCUP, not butterNUT). It's about the same size as an acorn squash - perfect for two people to split. They are dark green, somewhat rough on the outside, and not so pretty from the outside. The squash is dark orange, nutty, and much more flavorful than other varieties.

I cook them this way: scrub the outside, put in an casserole and microwave for 5-10 minutes until the rind softens. Once the rind is soft, cut in half (use a towel as a hot pad) and remove the seeds and strings from the center using a spoon. Sprinkle seasoning on the open halves, pour a little water into the bottom of the casserole, cover the casserole, and bake in conventional oven for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees. It's done when a fork easily slides all the way through the squash.

Sometimes we season with cinnamon and nutmeg (blech on nutmeg, but DH likes it), sometimes with hot sauce, sometimes with curry spices (my favorite).

The other winter squashes I love are the delicate pale orange-fleshed Japanese-type varieties like delicata and sweet dumpling. These are small and quick-cooking, but unfortunately more expensive.
Anne

Simple method

Postby Malva » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:31 pm

Cut squash (any winter squash) in half.
Remove seeds.
Bake in oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Longer if thicker squash (should be soft when pierced with fork).

Skin will peel off easily, and sometimes I just eat it right out of the shell.

I use a convection oven. So I put them on the rack, with a little water on the bottom which slightly steams as well as bakes the squash. This way they don't get too dried out as they cook. You could do this in a regular oven by placing a pan of water beneath the squash (put squash directly on oven rack).

You can also steam in microwave, or stove top steamer. Check for doneness by piercing with fork.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Squash

Postby gbrowne » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:27 am

Thank you both! I will try some squash this weekend!
"The candle that gives light to others must itself be consumed. Thus we also have to act. We ourselves are consumed to give a good example to others." St. Charles Borromeo
gbrowne

Curried Squash Dahl

Postby LoriM » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:52 am

I cut butternut squash in half, remove the seeds, and then peel and dice it, and use it in any recipe that calls for sweet potatoes.

One of my favorite recipes is Curried Squash Dahl:

1 medium yellow onion, quartered
1 cup rice milk plus 1 tsp coconut extract (I use that to sub for coconut milk...original recipe calls for 1/2 can coconut milk)
3 cloves Garlic
1 Tbs fresh ginger root, or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp coriander
2 cups vegetable stock or water
2 cups fresh tomatoes diced or 1 can diced tomato
4 cups fresh Butternut squash, peeled and diced
2 cups cooked lentils or black-eyed peas
2 cups fresh spinach or kale
1 cup frozen green peas
3 Tbs mint, minced

Cook the spices in the milk for 10 minutes (it's like a paste--mash it around). Add the stock, tomatoes and squash, and cook for 20 minutes until squash is tender. Mix in the lentils, spinach and peas, and cook until spinach is tender. Add the mint just before serving, and eat with rice. YUM.
A statistician is someone who is skilled at drawing a precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.
LoriM

using squash

Postby Malva » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:23 am

You can also par-boil (partially cook) butternut squash, cut into cubes, and freeze on a cookie sheet to have chunks available to add to dishes all year long.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

some new squashes for me!

Postby Ang » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:53 pm

I stopped at the Fiesta grocery store on my way home and there was a big bin of assorted squashes for 79 cents/lb. I picked up a Delicata and a Buttercup, based on the recommendations from Anne. I've never had these varieties before and I'm looking forward to trying them this weekend!
Ang.
Ang

have fun!

Postby Anne » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:54 am

The delicata cooks fast, so check it early. I can usually cut it without microwaving it first, too, so you could skip that step.

Oh, and the microwaving I do only because I have trouble cutting the rind of the raw squash without endangering myself and nearby creatures. If you can handle it, don't bother with that step.

I really think the buttercup is a superior squash, I hope you enjoy it! They are easy to grow in your own garden, too.
Anne

I have a great squash recipe for you.....

Postby LindaB » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:43 pm

This recipe is for a Curried Vegetable and Chickpea dish that I got out of a magazine that our grocery store puts out. It has a mild curry flavour, hope you like it - I have made it 4 times and my husband and son (who are carnivores love it):

1 tbsp. water (recipe called for canola oil)
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp. mild curry paste
2 1/1 cups vegetable broth (I added a little more because of the addition of the carrots - another 1/2 cup)
1 lb. butternut squash, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I have also tried it successfully with various other types of squashes)
1 lb. yams, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 med. potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tin chickpeas, rinsed, drained
1 cup frozen green peas
(I also added 2-3 chopped, peeled carrots)

Heat water in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add curry paste and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in broth, squash, yams, potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked. Add chickpeas and green peas. Cook for about 5 minutes or until hot. Serve over rice.

Hope you try it and enjoy it. :D
LindaB

Re: I have a great squash recipe for you.....

Postby Heart4Animals » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:54 pm

LindaB wrote:... recipe is for a Curried Vegetable and Chickpea dish ....<snip>

Oh does that ever sound good, Linda. Thanks for sharing, I am going to print it out right now!

Tricia (H4A)
Animals leave pawprints on your heart.
Heart4Animals

Anne's Buttercup squash

Postby gbrowne » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:22 am

It was delicious! And you were right--it looks dreadful from the outside, but I chose a small one, and my husband and I loved it.

Thank you for expanding my dinner choices!
gbrowne

Anne

Postby Anne » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:08 am

I'm so glad you liked it! I'm always afraid buttercups will vanish from the grocery store because they are so homely on the outside.

My favorite heirloom tomato is really ugly, too - the Brandywine. I guess you can't judge a vegetable by its cover :-)
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning