Calabaza Squash Pudding -- Is this dessert MWL-legal?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Calabaza Squash Pudding -- Is this dessert MWL-legal?

Postby S B » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:32 pm

For a dessert that I hope is MWL-legal, I experimented with this today……

Calabaza Squash Pudding

Mixed in a 2.5 quart bowl…..
*1 Tablespoon of finely minced fresh stevia leaves (from my garden) -- the equivalent of 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar
*1/2 teaspoon of cardamom
*2 ripe (but not over-ripe) medium-size bananas diced into very small cubes

Added and thoroughly stired-in while still very warm/hot….
*between 8 & 9 cups of well done, baked calabaza squash flesh

I let this mixture sit a few minutes to allow the stevia to sort of “steep” in the very warm squash. Then, I stirred the mixture again, covered it, and refrigerated it.

(Earlier, I had slow baked an 8 & 1/2 pound calabaza squash [cut in large chunks with the rind on them and covered] in my box solar cooker [the one with just one reflector] for several hours. When I took out the calabaza, it was so done that its flesh was as soft as puree!)

I had wanted to dice the cooked squash in to little cubes and stir it into the diced banana mixture and then gently mash the resulting mixture leaving little tiny pieces of squash and banana intact -- but the squash had cooked-up too soft for that.

Therefore, I am questioning if the experimental pudding I made today is totally MWL-legal because the squash was so soft. I know pureed fruit is usually not allowed but I am not sure about pureed (or very soft cooked) winter squash.

Anyway, if it ain’t totally MWL - ‘tis close -- and GOOD!

By the way, a calabaza squash looks sort of like a cross between a butternut squash and a pumpkin. However, it’s flesh is sweeter than pumpkin flesh -- a lightly sweet, nutty taste. I had never tried calabaza squash before today and I was in for a treat -- it is delicious just plain!

Thanks!
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Postby Jan Tz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:04 am

I don't see a problem with the ingredients in this recipe for MWL.
Jan Tz

Postby Mirrim » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:41 am

I agree. If mashed potato is legal, then mashed squash should be.
Mirrim

Thanks! Will probably do it a little differently next time..

Postby S B » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:21 pm

Next time, I will mix the spice(s) and the finely minced fresh stevia into the hot squash and let the stevia "steep" a few minutes BEFORE stirring-in the diced banana. That will keep the squash as hot as possible during the "steeping" (or whatever the correct term would be).

Also, the water tends to separate out the pudding after it sits overnight (in the refrigerator, of course), so it needs to be stirred before it is served. However, the pudding tastes sweeter after it has set awhile and gets cold -- and that is a BIG PLUS!

Thanks for your replies.
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning