groundhog(g)'s pupusa guidelines...loose recipe for

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

groundhog(g)'s pupusa guidelines...loose recipe for

Postby groundhogg » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:38 am

I've been fiddling with the pupusa idea for a few months now, with varying results. If you remember seeing this idea being bounced around on the old board...a pupusa is a Central American, maybe South American too, sandwich idea...but made with some kind of flour and contains a filling (usually meaty or cheesy-- :mad: ) and then sort of eaten while scooping/dipping in a fermented cabbage.

I've never seen a real pupusa...so I am flying blindfolded on this one, but the official groundhog(g) method is finally starting to settle in, shape up, and step up to the plate. Everybody who has tried these current groundhog(g) pupusas gives them approval:

So, again, not knowing what the heck it is I'm even going for...here is the groundhog(g) pupusa guideline I am now following...gluten-free, yummy, easy and definitely fiddle-able for the restless chefs among us:

(From what I read, most countries use masa harina flour as pupusa flour...mine haven't been that good yet, so I use rice flour, as they do in El Salvador for now)--- :)

Pupusas:

About 1/2 tsp. salt to 1 cup of rice flour. Use whatever amount of rice flour you think you'll need...1 cup makes about 4 pupusas for me.

Enough H 2 O (water or agua if we are attempting to be authentic!) added to the rice flour to make a workable dough like Play-Doh.

Divide the Play-Doh stuff into as many pieces as pupusas you wanna make.

Make a small, round "mud-pie," as thin as you can manage it without it becoming too fragile, for the bottom of each proposed pupusa, using only half of the dough intended for each pupusa.

Get a griddle hot (I use cast iron and for this need either no cooking spray, or very little) and lay those rounds on the hot griddle.

Spoon on filling...use only a small amount (see filling below).

Make tops for each one and set tops on as they cook...with a flat turner, pat around sides of each pupusa to encourage sides to close (this won't entirely close/seal the sides, but it's helpful).

Turn over once and allow to brown on both sides.

Now for the Pupusa Filling! (this is getting fun! :P )

I have been taking a can of black beans (this won't take the whole can unless you're making pupusas for your entire block! :shock: )-- I add to the black beans a finely chopped onion, chopped garlic (2 or 3 cloves), cumin (don't make me guess how much!!! :eek: maybe about 1 tsp for 1/2 can of the beans????) chopped tomatoes, just enough so it looks like filling, and either chopped peppers of any type...jalapeno or banana peppers, or whatever...make it as mild or as hot as you like.

As to the Pickled Cabbage Side Kick

I have no idea what this stuff should look or taste like...can only imagine.

Here's what has worked well with us so far (but since we are flying blind, we might be way off base here...but it TASTES good!!!)...

I have used fresh hot kim-chee (plan to make my own, but hven't had time--saurkraut seemed a little yuckie with these)

We also dip them in any good salsa (homemade or storebought), pickle relish, or guacamole.

As I said, they are definitely a fiddle-faddle type thing to be played around with. This is how mine are today, and everyone who has eaten them with us has liked them quite a bit. However, i should add that none of us have ever heard of, tasted, or seen a REAL pupusa...so these might be far enough removed to not really be entitled to that nomenclature ( :eek: oh, it's so ridiculous when groundhog(g)s resort to using them big fancy words!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Maybe we should just rename the things!
groundhogg

Postby Doris » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:23 am

Your recipes are so user friendly. I love them (mud pies, play dough). I understand exactly what you mean. I've made your socca bread and it is yummy. So I must try your pupusa idea. Now if I can figure out how to print your recipe without all the replies. :)
Doris

Postby groundhogg » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:28 am

I've wondered how we can print things from here too...and noticed there is an edit box in the upper hand right side of the posts...wonder if that would allow us to cut out what we want to copy????

I can't experiemtn with it here at wokr...and never think of trying from home...but sooner or later I'm gonna wanna copy some stuff from here :-)

Maybe one of our geekier Mcdougallers will spell it out for us!!!

Oh...glad you like the socca bread...hope you like the pupusas too :D
groundhogg

Printing recipes

Postby Sierra » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 am

To print recipe:

1. Hold left mouse button down and highlight what you want to print. This will be highlighted in blue.

2. Right click mouse button and select print.

3. When Print box come up on screen, select "selection" and hit print.

Waaaaa-Laaaaaa--should print out your highlighted text!!
Sierra

Postby Doris » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:57 am

Sierra, thanks for the directions to print. It works!!!! Now I have Groundhog's pupusa recipe. :)
Doris

Postby groundhogg » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:11 am

Groundhog(g) now wondering if it would be best if we leave out cute little faces from our recipes posted for easier printing????? :crybaby:
groundhogg

Postby Doris » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:42 am

Groundhog, keep your cute little faces!! Now, if you had a lot of color graghics inside the recipe ..... :crybaby:

Wow, that was easy. I think the cute little faces could be addicting! :)
Doris

Postby groundhogg » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:48 am

"Hi, my name is Groundhog(g), and I'm a

cute :o little :-P face :D ADDICT!!!!" :eek: :lol: :evil: :twisted:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I LOVE the faces :duh:

Can't get enough of the faces :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
groundhogg

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning