Pumpkin Muffins from fatfreevegan.com

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pumpkin Muffins from fatfreevegan.com

Postby Lilac » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:54 pm

I love this website...
http://www.fatfreevegan.com/
And just made the best Pumpkin Muffins. I am in the fall mood for cooking and these really hit the spot. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Muffins

Recipe by: Heather McDougall

Here’s another recipe just in time for the holidays. I bake these in the red SiliconeZone muffin holders, medium size. I let the muffins cool for about 10 minutes, then just pop them out of the muffin cups. No sticking ever!

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins

Dry Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup unbleached white flour
½ cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup raisins

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup canned pumpkin puree
½ cup Wonderslim fat substitute (or apple sauce)
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup soy milk
2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer mixed in
4 tablespoons cold water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. Combine all wet ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well until smooth. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix well (do not over-mix). Spoon batter into muffin cups. It will fill 12 medium muffin cups. Bake for 30 minutes.

Hints: Use a whisk when mixing the egg replacer with the water and beat until frothy. Then add to the other wet ingredients. Ener-G egg replacer is a flour product, available in natural food stores. It is used for leavening and binding. It does not make anything resembling scrambled eggs. We do not recommend products like Egg Beaters. They are mostly made from egg whites (animal protein) and additives.

This may also be made in a square or round baking pan. It may take a bit longer in the oven. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it is done. If you don’t have the red SiliconeZone baking pans, these may be made in any non-stick muffin tins or baking pans. Allow to cool before removing from pans.
Lilac

Postby noodle » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:30 pm

Oh this sounds good. I am a muffin maniac! :eek:

I'm saving it and will make them soon.
noodle

Postby Elaine » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Thanks for the link, and the recipe!
These sound just great! I can't wait to try them...
Elaine
Elaine

Postby SandyW » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:06 pm

Ooooohhh...these do sound yummy and I, too, have been thinking "pumpkin" with the Fall weather here. So many times I will read a recipe, though, and either have never heard of one or two of the ingredients or have looked for them and not been able to find them, so I end up not making the recipe. In this recipe, for instance...it is the Ener-G egg replacer and the Wonderslim fat substitute. I was glad to read that I can just use apple sauce in place of the Wonderslim and to know that I should be able to find the Ener-G egg replacer in the health food store because I did wonder if it was the same thing as Egg Beaters...now I know! Would Wonderslim be something you could find at a health food store or is available eslewhere? Thanks for posting the recipe...can't wait to try these. :)
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:14 pm

The egg replacer is mainly potato starch, and you beat it in water a little. I have some and use it.

Recently, I was reading in a book called the Frugal Gazette that soy flour makes a good substitute for eggs in baking, and I've tried it. I think it was 2 tablespoons of soy flour per egg, and maybe some extra water, too. Not sure, I'll have to look it up if i can find the book. Anyhow, I don't think the recipe would be really much different if you eliminated the egg replacer, especially if you had some soy flour to add.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby veganruthie » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:28 pm

Laura's Mom,

I think you're thinking of the egg replacer in the Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacycyn. I love that book. The recipe she uses for eggs is 1 heaping tbs soy flour mixed with 1 tbs water. I don't like this recipe as much as Egg Replacer by EnerG (I actually make my own by mixing potato and tapioca starch) because I think soy flour has a bitter taste.
~ Live simply so that others may simply live. ~
veganruthie

Postby Lilac » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:29 pm

I've found Wonderslim in the grocery store with the baking products. But I find applesauce to work just fine and use it all the time in recipes that call for Wonderslim. In fact in this recipe I think the applesauce actually made the muffins even more moist! Pumpkins and the fall nip in the air sure do go together along with these muffins, warmed up with a nice cup of tea!
Lilac

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning