MWL pizza crust

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MWL pizza crust

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Tonight is pizza night, and I have to make it MWL legal for me. I remember a discussion a year or two back about this but don't remember what the recipe was! I have some mashed potatoes and am thinking I could spread them on parchment paper and even bake them a little first - or not - and then put my toppings on. Unless someone has a tried and true other thing that would work? Brown rice, maybe?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Here is something that I tried last year

Postby S B » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:25 pm

I do not remember the exact measurements but you have to go by looks and feel, anyway.

I think it was approx. equal parts of plain mashed potatoes and cooked whole grain brown rice mixed together and then spread out on a non-stick pan (or parchment paper). Then I EVENLY spread a thin layer of DRY rolled oats on top of this and gently pushed them in. The oats are to help absorb excess moisture from both the potatoes and the toppings.

As long as the toppings are not too moist, this crust seems to work OK for me. Plus, you can mix some herbs in the crust "dough" if you like.

Please let me know if this works for you, if you try it, that is.....

Good luck!
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:33 pm

Thanks for your response! I think I will try your idea next time.

I ended up using my mashed potatoes, I was ready to start baking pizzas and the guys were hungry and the dough was raised.

I spread my potatoes on a parchment paper placed on a sheet pan. There was about 2 cups of potatoes, and I had put a little salt and pepper and garlic powder in when I mashed them for lunch. I put my sauce and just onions and peppers on top, and baked at 450 for about 18 minutes. It wasn't all that bad, but I wish I had thought to put some more of something in the potatoes. Maybe roasted garlic would have been good, and a little oregano. I have some nutritional yeast too, but have never used it because I'm afraid of how it will taste! Maybe a little of that would give it more flavor.

Anyway, I'm happy with my food today. I ended up with 6 percent of my calories from fat, and just over 1400 calories. I don't always enter my food into Fitday, but like to when I'm trying to fine tune things. It really helps me see where I'm going wrong, and if I have a little cheat it shows just exactly how bad it is for my totals! :eek:
Mrs. Doodlepunk

I created this solution to pizza cravings...

Postby Sandie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:41 am

...while following MWL several years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/RiceBakes.html

It really helped satisfy the craving! :thumbsup:
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Postby Lilac » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:30 am

Great ideas for pizza crusts, I'll be trying them out too.

What I usually do is use thinly sliced baked potatoes for my "crust" and put the toppings on and bake in the oven to warm it all up. Sliced lengthwise giving a nice sized surface especially when I have really large potatoes.
Lilac

Postby SusanV » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:37 am

Sandie, I really like your rice bakes! I will have to try that. I've been doing what Lilac does--use baked potatoes as the crust. I've got some photos here, but I got the idea from All-Creatures, which has even more photos.[/url]
SusanV

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:53 am

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

I should add that my pizza on the parchment paper was a bit large and difficult to remove from the parchment paper. I should have made several smaller ones, but I wasn't thinking ahead that far.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Sandie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:56 am

I also make the baked potatoes with pizza toppings as well as a scalloped potato like dish I also called 'pizza potatoes.' I posted this recipe years ago on VegSource and Jan Tz said she made them without the added water and they turned out great. Old habits die hard, I still add water if I'm baking them in the oven but if I make them in the crockpot on busy days, I don't add water. Both are yummy as are the pizza baked potatoes. I'll post the 'pizza potatoes' recipe under their own heading here on the recipe forum.
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning