Surger-free cookies?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Surger-free cookies?

Postby WendyW » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:37 pm

One of our grandsons gets very hyperactive after eating sugar so we try not to give him any if we can help it. I would love to be able to make cookies with him. Does anyone have good sugar-free, vegan cookie recipes?

Thanks!
Wendy
WendyW

Postby groundhogg » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:04 am

no recipe, here :( , but I used to make one for my daughter when she was little that consisted of mashed banana with vanilla as the cookie "base," so to speak. THen added raisins, other dried fruit and nuts (somehow, without any real sweetener, the nuts seem to make it taste sweeter) and I added oats to that and baked them.

She and her friends didn't like the first few bites, but nibbled on them anyway as they played, and then after a cookie or two they started gobbling them up...they are not sweet-tasting at all, but start to just taste good on their own when your mouth adjusts. I've lost the recipe, but it was something like what I put above.

IF you get onto raw recipe boards, there are many recipes for raw "candies" and "cookies" that are based on date paste and stuff like that...I make these quite a bit now...they are really, really tasty. If I bring them to work, they disappear by this SAD-eating crowd faster than I can possibly keep up...I think they'd be a big hit with kids.

I've gotten some really good ones from here:
http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/
groundhogg

Thank you so much!

Postby WendyW » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:20 pm

I will try the banana based one and will also check out the site you mentioned. I'll try anything at least once :)
WendyW

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning