Black Bean Brownies

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Black Bean Brownies

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:45 pm

I think I'll use this recipe as a reward. As soon as I lose 10 pounds I will make them.

Thanks!
StarchBeet

Postby shell1226 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:42 pm

I made a batch this weekend and omitted the flour. The came out moister than the original recipe.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby Kiki » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:49 pm

So, my next chocolate craving hit big time. Unfortunately, I did not have all the right ingredients for Shell's brownies, so I made a heavily modified version of them -- bananas instead of applesauce, dates instead of agave, no cinnamon, etc. It still wasn't quite right for me, but boy was it an improvement over the Happy Herbivore version. We ate it and enjoyed it and will continue tweaking the recipe to our tastes.

Thanks.
Kiki

Postby shell1226 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:22 pm

When I made them last weekend, I added 1/2 tsp of chili powder and topped with some hemp seeds. My wife likes them a little spicey.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby stoumi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Okay Rachelle. I followed your recipe completely, no changes. I had read this discussion thread and a few other recommendations in the thread and decided this would be the easiest to make. Not sure what I was expecting. I used our blender instead of the food processor, didn't feel like dragging it out and cleaning it when I was done. The mix came out like other brownie mix I recall making, something thick a bit gooey. I put in the 8x8 and baked it. When it came out out, the top seemed a bit dry, as the edges were pulling away from the Pyrex. The top also looked a bit dry. Once I cut into it, it was moist and the brownie did stay together nicely.

The taste reminds me of a chocolate sheet cake my mom used to bake. It must be the cinnamon that brings those memories back. The middle was moist, not really spongy but more cake-like. The flavor was good, not really sweet, but there was a hint of chocolate. All things considered for my first attempt, I think these would go over very well with my son and maybe even the wife. I am supposed to feed some people at work tomorrow and I am still debating if these are good enough for them to sample.

stoumi

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning