sugar substitute ?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

sugar substitute ?

Postby made in oregon » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:58 pm

Does anyone know what I should use in place of sugar in a recipe? I was thinking honey but trying to stay within the principals of mcdougall and not sure what to use. HELP
thank you in advance
:-D
made in oregon

Re: sugar substitute ?

Postby Heart4Animals » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:21 pm

made in oregon wrote:Does anyone know what I should use in place of sugar in a recipe? I was thinking honey but trying to stay within the principals of mcdougall and not sure what to use. HELP
thank you in advance
:-D

I use stevia as something safe to sweeten my oatmeal, coffee, etc (yes I do still drink coffee, but I know that it is something Dr McD discourages). I am not sure if you can cook with it though. In recipes the amount is usually small and I figure it doesn't hurt to use molasses, honey, or maple syrup (or even sugar I suppose, although I just don't even buy sugar these days) in those very small amounts.

Tricia
Animals leave pawprints on your heart.
Heart4Animals

Sugar uses

Postby Mallow » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:56 pm

Sugar uses are very limited if you're staying on the MWL plan. No flour = no baked goods! So, for myself, I keep sugar/maple syrup around for oatmeal, the occasional coffee, etc. My problem is I keep straying OFF the MWL plan for the standard plan, which puts the kibosh on my weight loss. I don't know about you, but I HAVE to stay MWL in order to lose weight, my weight remains stable on the standard McDougall diet.
Mallow

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning