Oat Milks

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby jenn* » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am

George Eisman (vegan dietician) told me that the best is to make your own, here's how easy:

At night take a handful of oats and toss them into a mason jar. Let them soak overnight. In the morning, put a lid on the jar, shake well. If you like, add a little agave or maple syrup to sweeten, you can add a dash of vanilla or almond extract. Whatever you like, however much you like. Custom made oat milk.

I haven't done this yet though I definitely will. My only concern is the temp. I am not fond of room temp oat/soy/rice milk. Maybe tonight I'll soak one in the fridge and one out. I'll let you know if it makes a difference and how it turns out, etc.
"veganism starts with vegetarianism and carries it through to its logical conclusion" -Donald Watson, founder of Vegan Society

jenn*

Postby Jan Tz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:43 pm

I wonder if oat milk could be used for vegan French toast, instead of soy milk? I like your mason jar method of making the oat milk, and I just never buy soy milk any more. This would be really convenient.

What else are people using oatmilk for, besides breakfast cereal?
Jan Tz

Postby Lilac » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:07 am

I make almond milk using my Soyquick Milk Maker and just love it. Very mild in flavor and can be used for everything from baking to with cereal or a shake with frozen bananas. The directions are included with this machine if you have one or basically I use 1 cup soaked nuts to 3 or 4 cups of water. You can blend it in a high powered blender and then strain with a nut milk bag (or paint strainer bag). I store mine in Mason jars in the fridge and it lasts for about 5 or 6 days.
Lilac

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning