Yam/sweet tater toppers

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Yam/sweet tater toppers

Postby Veggiewannabe » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:14 pm

Hi everyone~

What all do you put atop your yams/sweet potatoes? I use cinnamon, but last night I was stumped for poor hubby who doesn't care for the cinnamon topping (although, come on! What's wrong with a plain old sweet tater??). He ate it plain and wasn't complaining, but I'd like to have some things to suggest in the future.

Any kind of instant/fast pour or shake on things that y'all use?

TIA~
Veggiewannabe

Cilantro Lime Sweet Potatoes

Postby Sierra » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:41 pm

Try the recipe for Cilantro Lime Sweet Potatoes at this website:

http://www.simple-vegetarian-recipes.co ... -home.html

Click on the vegetables sidebar.

I have not tried this yet--but I think it sounds delicious!!
Sierra

Re:sweet potatos

Postby KareninTN » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:49 pm

Molly Katzen recommended mashing sweet potatos with lime juice. I thought that sounded pretty weird, but I tried it and love it! That's the way I have mine all the time now.

karenturtle
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Re: Cilantro Lime Sweet Potatoes

Postby Pumpkin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:24 am

Sierra wrote:Try the recipe for Cilantro Lime Sweet Potatoes at this website:

http://www.simple-vegetarian-recipes.co ... -home.html

That does look interesting. I love about anything with cilantro in it, but I would never have thought of cilantro and lime on sweet potatoes. I'll report back when I've tried it.

By the way, that is a very interesting recipe site... easy vegan recipes, most look easily McDougallizeable.

Pumpkin
Pumpkin

Postby DianeR » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:33 am

There was a recipe in a McDougall newsletter a couple months ago or so (I think :roll: ) for a spicy peanut sauce to go over sweet potatoes. (Usable for other things, too). I've also just used a little commercial Thai peanut sauce when I'm lazy and not worried about a little fat -- after all, you don't need much.

I'm thinking of ordering all the different varieties of Toad Sweat dessert hot sauce. There is a cranberry one that I think would be wonderful on sweet potatoes. My husband just rolls his eyes on this one, but I am the big cranberry fan in the family. (When we do Thanksgiving, I notice I'm about the only one that eats any cranberry dish and any others just take a tiny, polite amount. Oh well, more for me!)
DianeR

cranberries - yum!

Postby Anne » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:45 am

We like the whole cranberry sauce right out of the can on sweet potatoes. I'm not sure how much sugar is added to those cans - I wasn't McDougalling last year when cranberry sauce season began.

Salsa, especially salsa with lots of cilantro, works great.

My husband likes stewed tomatoes on sweet potatoes - not a fan myself, but it is healthy. He also sometimes uses ff barbecue sauce, which is surprisingly tasty. Oh, and he uses tamari sauce.

Any of those Asian sweet-hot-garlic red sauces are really good (my favorite), and most don't have oil.

Mr. Spice makes several McDougall-legal sauces, including a curry sauce I've just ordered and plan to try out on sweet potatoes:
http://www.mrspice.com/posics.html
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Mr Spice

Postby KareninTN » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:37 am

I just LOVE the Mr Spice sauces! I discovered them even before I started McDing, back when my BP was marginal, my Dr was threatening me with meds, and I was trying to work on cutting salt. I use them all, on any number of things.

karenturtle
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning