Holiday recipes...need help

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Holiday recipes...need help

Postby Chrmann » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:28 am

Any ideas for a "Breakfast Casserole". The regular rcipe has sausage, crescent rolls, eggs, milk and cheese. It sits overnight before it is cooked.

I make sausage using oats and beans with seasonings...so there's the sausage.

I've been wondering if I could leave out the crescent rolls because of the oats in the sausage and just add vegetables (shredded cauliflower, brocoli and carrots) and then what...

Since the holidays are upon us, maybe we can all work on a recipe for this.

Also, "Sausage Balls" that would be McDougall friendly. I've worked on trying to make these for several years now and have not managed to come up with a descent recipe.
Chrmann

Postby Karen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:53 am

I've made us a breakfast thingee that is Mexican. It uses corn tortillas for layers, with additional layers of FF refried beans, salsa, potato slices that have been baked, grilled veggies...all kinds of things.

I sometimes add scrambled egg whites, but I don't always. I always sprinkle nutritional yeast on top.

You could serve it with the cheezy sauce stuff, too. Even if you don't want to go Mex, the corn torillas could stand in for the puff pastry.
Karen

Postby Sandie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:03 am

Oooh, I make a version of this all the time for work and my co-workers love it! :-D

I use whole grain bread, torn into cubes (fill a casserole dish). Add plenty of veggies (I use broccoli tops ~ save the stems for something else, minced onion, chopped mushrooms, minced red pepper, etc.), salt, pepper and your choice of spices (I add a tiny bit of garlic, Spike & a little nutritional yeast). Pour plain rice milk over all (make sure all the bread is well moistened). Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning bake in a
350 degree oven until done (about 45 minutes or so). Nobody misses the eggs & cheese. :-D
Last edited by Sandie on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Sandie

Postby Chrmann » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:12 am

Do you add "fake" sausage to this breakfast casserole when you make it.

And. are the vegetables cut small or left large?
Chrmann

Re: Sandie

Postby Sandie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:15 am

Chrmann wrote:Do you add "fake" sausage to this breakfast casserole when you make it.

And. are the vegetables cut small or left large?

I do not add the 'fake' sausage.
I chop the veggies small.

One thing I forgot is that I sometimes add asparagus tips (my favorite for a brunch) and I also sometime add fresh basil (a couple tablespoons). And another option is hash brown potatoes. Yum!
Have a great day!!
Sandie

Sandie

Thanks everyone!

Postby Chrmann » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:35 am

Now, we need a recipe for "Sausage Balls".
Chrmann

Sandie...about the Breakfast Casserole

Postby Chrmann » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:38 pm

Question: Am I supposed to cover everything with milk...vegetables included or just the bread?
Chrmann

Re: Sandie...about the Breakfast Casserole

Postby Sandie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:20 pm

Chrmann wrote:Question: Am I supposed to cover everything with milk...vegetables included or just the bread?

I just pack everything down as I pour the rice milk over all so that it is all covered. The bread packs down as it becomes wet. Sorry about not having exact measurements but this is just one of those dishes that I just wing it! :)
Have a great day!!
Sandie

Sandie

what I did

Postby Chrmann » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:29 pm

Sandie, I made some whole grain herb bread (sausage seasonings). I thought maybe it would give a hint that maybe sausage was in there. It tasted good. But, it reminded me of my Thanksgiving dressing with veggies on top. It tasted good. So, I'm going to experiment with this recipe again and use my herb bread and some millet bread crumbled with the nutritional yeast and milk (will not put the veggies on top but will add celery and onions to the bread mixture) and see if it tastes like dressing. If so, I might use this recipe for Thanksgiving. I have a big pumpkin that I might fill with this dressing.
Chrmann

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning