Wow, great recipe in old McDougall Newsletter

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Wow, great recipe in old McDougall Newsletter

Postby Vegankit » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:54 am

Fat Free Karei Rice (Japanese style Curry Rice) by Miyoko Schinner. I haven't had Japanese curry in years and this tastes exactly as I remember it. It's a mild slightly sweet curry. I used 2 tablespoons of curry powder since I didn't want it too spicy to serve to guests - you can always add more at the end. I used 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce and felt it didn't need any more. I chose to use maple syrup - and instead of thickening the sauce with rice and soy milk, I skipped that step and added a slurry of corn starch/water (2 tablespoons corn starch to 1/2 cup cold water) then quickly boiled the curry to thicken. Sadly there were no leftovers - it was so good.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/jun/080600.pdf - scroll down towards the end.

Fat Free Karei Rice (Japanese style Curry Rice) by Miyoko Schinner

Serve over brown rice.
2 large onions, sliced or minced
Water for sautéing
2 to 6 tablespoons Japanese curry powder
4 cups vegetable stock
1 apple, peeled and grated into a fine pulp
3-4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Agave or sweetener of choice
2 cups cubed waxy potatoes
2 carrots, sliced
2 cups of additional vegetables or meat substitute of choice (mushrooms, broccoli florets, extra firm tofu, etc.)
½ cup rice (uncooked)
1/4 cup soy milk
In a heavy bottom sauce pan, saute the onions in a small amount of water, covered, until tender. Add the curry powder, stir to combine, then add the stock, apple, soy sauce, sweetener of choice and vegetables. Partly cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender.

Next, carefully, drain the liquid in the pot into another pot. Add the uncooked rice, cover, and simmer on low until the grains are tender, about 15 minutes. Place in a blender and blend until thick, creamy and velvety. Pour back into the larger pot with the vegetables, add the soy milk, and reheat for a few minutes.

Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve over hot brown rice
Vegankit
Vegankit

Re: Wow, great recipe in old McDougall Newsletter

Postby greentea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:32 am

That is a great recipe, thank's for reminding me about it! I haven't made it in ages. I love japanese curries.
greentea

Postby Vegankit » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:11 pm

I just had leftovers for lunch - it reheats beautifully in the microwave.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Marla » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Thanks for posting this Vegankit! I made it tonight and it was DELICIOUS. I appreciated that you posted the changes you made, too.

I used 3 level Tablespoons of curry powder. I used S&B Oriental Curry Powder, product of Japan, which is slightly different from Indian-style curry powder, but on reflection I think it would have tasted just as good with "regular" curry powder. I thought 3 Tablespoons was pretty spicy (and I like spicy) -- 2 would have been adequate, and I can't imagine using more than 3.

Like you, I used 2 Tablespoons of reduced-sodium soy sauce and felt that was enough.

I used half potatoes and half Japanese sweet potatoes, and I used green beans for the "additional vegetables." I meant to add peas, but I forgot them!

I also added one Tablespoon of ketchup and one Tablespoon of Tonkatsu sauce. I took that inspiration from another (non-vegan) Japanese curry recipe that I found online.

I did follow the original recipe's instructions to thicken with rice, cooked in the cooking liquid in a separate pan and then blended smooth. I used the 1/4 cup of soymilk also. I thought it might make the sauce seem more "creamy and velvety" than corn starch would have. My opinion is that the rice worked well, but it made the sauce almost too thick and borderline "gluey." It was still wonderful, but next time I am going to try cornstarch, flour, or rice flour to thicken.

I put the recipe (as I made it) into Cron-o-meter and was gratified to see that it had only 4% calories from fat. You would never know, as it tastes so rich.
Marla

Postby Vegankit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:09 am

Marla wrote:Thanks for posting this Vegankit! I made it tonight and it was DELICIOUS. I appreciated that you posted the changes you made, too.
Marla, I'm glad you posted your changes - it's inspiring to see what other do to modify recipes.

I also used the S&B Oriental Curry Powder - I love that curry blend, but yes I think any similar blend would work.

I really love your idea of using Japanese sweet potatoes - think I'll do that next time. I did add frozen peas - perfect addition. I used a mix of fresh and frozen veggies in mine.

The beauty of thickening with corn starch is it's easy to thin out a sauce with a little water - or if not thick enough - add a little more slurry (cold water/cornstarch).
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning