Which cookbook do you use the most?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

New McDougall Cookbook
21%
Quick & Easy Cookbook
71%
Health-Supporting Cookbook
8%

Total votes : 24

Postby havfaith » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:30 pm

I have the New McDougall Cookbook but am thinking about getting the Quick & Easy Cookbook too. Then there's the Health-Supporting Cookbook. So my question is, which one do you use most often?
havfaith

Postby LJ » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:04 am

How's everyone like the Quick and Easy cookbook? I'm thinking about getting that one...sounds like its right up my alley. :D

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Wow, I just realized something!

Postby Sandie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:22 am

I have all of Dr. & Mary McDougall's books and I just realized with this poll that I don't use any of them to cook. I used to but haven't in years! :eek: All the new recipes I try are either from other books (I like to McDougallize recipes) or from the internet.

Very interesting! :shock:
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Which Cookbook

Postby Ladybug » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:36 am

I use the New McDougall cookbook most, as I like to cook , and am retired so have the time. I'm sure when I was raising a family and working it would have been a different story. :D
Ladybug

Postby DianeR » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:16 am

In addition to the Q & E cookbook, I also use Atlas, "The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet." Do you see a common thread in the recipes I like :lol:

The latter cookbook isn't vegan, but there are plenty of recipes without dairy. Omitting any oil usually isn't a problem.
DianeR

Postby Sunny » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:41 am

I'm like Ladybug, I like to cook, so I use the McDougall Cookbook, I also have a large variety of other cookbooks that I also use. I work 6 hours a day so I have the time to cook. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Looks like I may just have to order

Postby havfaith » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:47 pm

the Q&E cookbook too. =) Thanks everyone!
havfaith

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:01 pm

I have favorites in all of the McDougall books and probably none of the books get used more than any others. I guess right now I'm using MWL the most because I'm focusing on that for me, mostly for the salad ideas. The guys can eat regular McDougall and we already have that figured out.

Lately, I've been exploring Sandie's site for new favorites. One real big hit was the 'egg' rolls! I had to make the ones for the boys with some finely minced fake chicken nuggets but that is just so I can slowly wean them off of the fried chicken taste and eventually they will be eating vegetable eggless egg rolls.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

help on cookbook request

Postby fiddler3 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:59 pm

My daughters have asked for vegan cookbooks for Christmas (wow!!!) but hav especifically asked for "a cookbook with lots of pictures.."

Any suggestions?

fiddler3
fiddler3

Vegan with a Vengeance....

Postby tiranda » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:09 pm

has color pictures of the food. Some of the recipes are at theppk.com, so you can see if they'd like it (chickpea broccoli casserole that someone mentioned is in it). It's by Isa Chandler Moskowitz and you can find it at Amazon. Sorry, I can't do links yet, still have to learn that,

I think Vegan Vittles has pictures of the animals at the Farm Sanctuary, if you want to be literal :-D --that one's by Joanne Stepaniak.
"The 80% is percentage of calories, by the way, and is not a volume measure. McDougallers are supposed to be eating lots of vegetables." - Pumpkin
tiranda

Postby noodle » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:48 pm

I have all the McDougall books, but I tend to use the Quick and Easy book the most.

I also like the recipes in the back of Dr. Neal Barnard's book - they are easy and good tasting.
noodle

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning