Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Simple 1,2,3, or 4 ingredient Recipes Needed

Postby Doris » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:49 pm

JanTz use to post a lot of very simple recipes on the old board that would be perfect for McDougallers that don't have time or inclination to spend a great deal of time in the kitchen. I think that we should try to make a list of such recipes here on the recipe forum. Breakfast, lunches, dinners, snacks, brown bag meals - I think all of these could be represented. :)
Doris

3-ingredient recipes

Postby Clary » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:06 pm

I have these few saved from the old board. I wish I had saved them all as they were posted. --just thought they would always be available.

Someone good at searching could probably find all of Jan Tz's 3-ingredient recipes from the old board. The "subject line" for most of them included the words "3-ingredient recipe".

Or MAYBE JAN TZ kept a collection of her 3-ingredient recipes??? :question: --and will share them with us.
Date: December 28, 2002 at 3:28 pm PST

This is a variation of the Barley-Mushroom Bake that many of you requested. It has only 3 ingredients (not counting water and pan spray), and is very meaty and satisfying.

BARLEY-MUSHROOM BAKE
3/4 cup quick barley
1 (8 oz.) box fresh mushrooms, whole, cleaned
1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets, any fat-free flavor (check the boxes)

Put all the ingredients in a casserole dish. Stir in 2 cups boiling water. Stir to mix. Cover and bake at 325 F. for 45 min. Uncover and bake another 15 min. Stir lightly before serving.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan Tz
CRANBERRY-SAUCED CHICKPEAS

2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce
dash powdered cloves

Preheat oven to 300 F. Put the chickpeas in a casserole dish. Put the cranberry sauce on top. Sprinkle lightly with cloves. Bake uncovered for about 30 min.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Artichoke Soup---a 3-ingredient recipe
Date: September 25, 2003 at 2:46 pm PST

Artichoke Soup

2 medium-sized red potatoes, peeled
2 can artichoke hearts
1 quart vegetable broth
juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to your taste
salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until tender. Puree artichoke hearts with their liquid. Add cooked potatoes to blender or food processor and puree again.

Pour pureed artichokes and potatoes into saucepan. Add veggie broth and stir. Heat till boiling. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
-------------------------------------------------------
Subject: 3-Ingredient Recipe: Easy Meaty Spaghetti Sauce

Date: January 23, 2003 at 4:27 pm PST

Mix in a small saucepan:
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 original Boca Burger, nuked to thaw, then cut or crumbled

Season to taste with whatever you like, basil, Italian seasoning, garlic or onion powders, etc. Simmer over very low heat for about 30 minutes or so, stirring often.
-----------------
Garlic Bread
Sliced French or Italian bread
fat free Italian salad dressing

Brush or spread bread with dressing. Add a little minced garlic or garlic powder if you like. Broil until the crust is crispy. Careful not to let it burn!
--------------------------------------------
Last edited by Clary on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clary

More Jan Tz 3-ingredient recipes

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:28 am

This is what I found in my Cardfile of Jan's 3 or 4 ingredient meals that I saved throughout the years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jan Tz Sept 16, 2003

Yesterday, I combined a can of veg baked beans with a can of cream-style corn, seasoned with onion, thyme, and pepper, put in a saucepan, ploppped dumpling dough on top, and steamed 10 min. This was lunch and dinner, with some extra fruit at dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Subject: A Pretty Vegetable Casserole
Date: January 29, 2005 at 2:50 pm PST

Combine in a serving bowl:

1 can sweet potatoes, well drained (or cooked fresh sweet potatoes)
1 cup leftover cooked cauliflower
1 cup leftover peas

Re-heat and call it dinner. Adjust amounts to suit your taste.

http://www.vegsource.com/mcdrecipes/mes ... 17812.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Recipe: Apple Buttered Yams
Date: September 8, 2004 at 10:43 am PST

APPLE BUTTERED YAMS

3 large yams or sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup apple butter

Cut the yams into small chunks. Spray a pan with non-stick, and add yams and garlic. Add 3 cups water, along with pepper to taste. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Add the apple butter. Stir gently to mix. Cook uncovered another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the yams are completely cooked.
~~~~~~~~~~~

om: Jan Tz (ppp101-80.youbetnet.net)
Subject: Three Ingredient Recipe in a Four Ingredient Entree: Beans & Dumplings
Date: September 6, 2003 at 2:59 pm PST

I got the recipe for the dumplings from Bryanna Clark Grogan's book, "The (Almost) No Fat Cookbook." I have cut the recipe in half and paraphrased the instructions.

Dumplings
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt

Mix together well. Pour in 1/4 cup water and mix well.

Beans & Dumplings

Pour 1 (16 oz) can of your favorite beans into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Then drop small spoonfuls of dumpling dough on top of the beans. Cover. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook about 10 min. or until dumplings are done.

You can use any beans you like. If they are in a sauce, like chili beans or baked beans, don't drain. Otherwise, you can drain and rinse and then just add back an equivalent amount of water. Season plain beans as you like.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Three Ingredient Recipe: Chickpea-Sweet Potato Stew
Date: September 5, 2003 at 5:22 pm PST

CHICKPEA-SWEET POTATO STEW

1 (23 oz) can sweet potatoes, drained
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained
1 (16 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice

Combine these ingredients. Heat. Season as you like with salt and pepper. I also added in some unmeasured dashes of garlic powder, red pepper, cumin, and cinnamon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you don't count the spices, then this is still 3 ingredients. :)

HOLIDAY BAKED BEANS
1 (28-ounce) can Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans
1 (16 ounce) can sliced sweet potatoes, drained
1/3 cup dried cranberries ("craisins")
2 teaspoons grated orange rind (slice up the orange and eat it on the side)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients; spoon into a lightly greased/sprayed casserole. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 min. or until bubbly. If you don't have an oven, just nuke in the microwave or heat in a saucepan over hotplate until hot.

Nov 23, 2004
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Macaroni with Garlicky Cream Sauce
Date: November 9, 2000 at 8:07 am PST

Sauce: A standard medium white sauce with sauteed garlic.

Saute 1 or 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic in pan spray or 2 T veg oil spread. Use a small saucepan, rather than a skillet.

Shake in a jar 1 cup ff soymilk with 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper. Shake the lumps out.

Add the soymilk mixture to the sauteed garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat until the sauce is thickened and bubbly. Be careful not to let the sauce burn on the bottom of the pan.

Mix this sauce into your cooked macaroni. The amount of sauce can be adjusted to fit the amount of pasta you are cooking.

http://www.vegsource.com/mcdrecipes/messages/12385.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Three Ingredient Recipe: Mandarin Sauce (for brown rice)
Date: October 22, 2003 at 3:18 pm PST

Mandarin Sauce

1 envelope Liption's Onion Soup Mix
1 (8 oz) can pineapple chunks, with juice
1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges, with liquid

Put it all in a saucepan. Cook and stir for 10 min. over medium heat. Use this to top cooked rice.

Optional: if you want this to be a thicker sauce, sprinkle 1 Tbs. flour over the hot sauce, continue cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Are Boca Burgers still on the Approved Foods list? If so, then this one is still good:

Subject: RECIPE: Mock Meat Balls (3 Ingredients!)
Date: November 15, 2004 at 3:34 pm PST

MOCK MEAT BALLS

1 Boca Burger (original vegan), microwaved until softened (1 min.)
2 cups stuffing mix (Brownberry Traditional sage & onion)
½ cup boiling water

Mix all ingredients together. Mix very well, as for meatloaf. Form into four equal sized balls. Place in a sprayed baking pan. Bake 20 minutes uncovered at 350 F.

Top with any gravy to serve, or use as meatballs with spaghetti sauce.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This one is a family favorite:

Subject: Three Ingredient Recipe: Pioneer Baked Beans
Date: October 14, 2003 at 3:57 pm PST

PIONEER BAKED BEANS

Peeled and cored apple, cut into big chunks

Onion, sliced thinly and separated into rings
Vegetarian Baked Beans

Combine all ingredients in whatever quantities you
need, put into a baking dish, and bake uncovered for
30 minutes at 350F.

I remember reading about "Apples 'n' Onions" in one of
the "Little House on the Prairie" books some years
back. Baked beans were popular then, too. They seem to
go well together.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Three Ingredient Recipe: Southwest Corn
Date: October 16, 2003 at 6:24 am PST

SOUTHWEST CORN

2 Boca Burgers (original vegan)
1 can corn, drained
taco sauce

Warm the Bocas, then crumble into a saucepan so they look like ground beef. Add the corn and taco sauce. Stir to mix. Cook until heated up. Nice served with tortillas or baked tortilla chips.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted to VegSource
<http://www.vegsource.com/mcdrecipes/messages/9917812.html>
Subject: A Pretty Vegetable Casserole
Date: January 29, 2005 at 2:50 pm PST
Combine in a serving bowl:
1 can sweet potatoes, well drained (or cooked fresh sweet potatoes)
1 cup leftover cooked cauliflower
1 cup leftover peas
Re-heat and call it dinner. Adjust amounts to suit your taste.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Recipe: Old-Fashioned Raisin Sauce
Date: July 1, 2004 at 7:11 am PST

This is the raisin sauce that Grandma used to serve with Sunday ham. It is wonderful on brown rice.

RAISIN SAUCE

1 and 1/2 cup raisins
1 cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup vinegar

Put the raisins and water in a small saucepan. Heat slowly 10 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar. Boil slowly about 15 minutes until thickened.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

VeggieSue

Nava Atlas 3-ingredient meals

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:31 am

I think I got these Nava Atlas recipes from one of her monthly newsletter articles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BARBECUE-FLAVORED TOFU AND POTATO KEBABS
Serves: 4

Served with good Southern corn-on-the-cob and coleslaw (made from pre-grated cabbage, if you prefer, and dressed as you’d like), this meal recalls outdoor summer barbecues.

* 4 medium-large red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and microwaved until done but still firm
* 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu, well-drained and blotted and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
* 2/3 cup (or as needed) natural barbecue sauce

Preheat the oven’s broiler. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into 1-inch chunks. Starting with potato, alternate the potato and tofu chunks on metal skewers. There should be enough for 8 average-length skewers. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and brush the kebabs generously with barbecue sauce.

Broil for 5 minutes, then turn to the other side very carefully, wearing a long oven mitt. Broil for another 5 minutes. If desired, turn once again and broil for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve at once.

SALSA GRAIN-AND-BEAN PILAF
Serves: 4 to 6

This is a flexible recipe that I frequently rely on when I want a simple, nourishing main dish. I vary the combinations each time I make this, so it’s never the same way twice. Serve with sautéed green and/or yellow squash or baked winter squash. Round out the meal with a green salad.

* 4 cups cooked grain of your choice (quinoa, bulgur, rice, couscous, or other)
* 1 16- to 20-ounce can beans of your choice (pinto, black, or pink beans, black-eyed peas, chickpeas, or other), drained and rinsed
* 1 cup prepared salsa, or more to taste
* Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan and heat slowly until well heated through. Serve at once.

THAI BROCCOLI AND TOFU
Serves: 4

Serve with long noodles (such as udon, soba or linguine) simply seasoned with sesame oil and soy sauce and some sliced red bell pepper strips.

* 2 large crowns broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
* 1 pound well-drained firm or extra-firm tofu, diced
* 3/4 cup spicy Thai peanut sauce, preferably reduced-fat

Steam the broccoli florets in a covered wok or stir-fry pan with about 1/2 inch of water at the bottom, until tender-crisp.Very gently stir in the tofu dice and peanut sauce. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Add salt to taste and serve at once.

HEARTY PASTA AND PINK BEANS
Serves: 6

Use hearty pasta from the frozen foods section for this filling dish. All you need to complete this meal is a bountiful tossed salad and some fresh bread.

* 16-ounce bag frozen tortellini (ricotta, tofu, or vegetable-filled), ravioli, ricotta cavatelli, or gnocchi
* Two 16-ounce cans pink beans, drained and rinsed
* 28-ounce jar good-quality chunky marinara sauce

Bring water to a boil in a large pot and cook the frozen pasta according to package directions. Just before draining, add the beans to the water and cook briefly to heat them. Drain the mixture well and transfer to a serving container.

Stir in the marinara sauce and serve at once.
VeggieSue

From the Post Punk Kitchen

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:38 am

These came from the Post Punk Kitchen message board ( http://www.theppk.com ) about a year ago. Not everything is McD-approved so I'll highlight those and my comments in red. I'm sure we can come up with our own substitutions, like a bit of water or broth instead of margarine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rice, chickpeas, spinach

Peanut butter, soy sauce, soba noodles
(PB is high fat but I've seen it in some of Mary McD's recipes)

garlic, tomatoes, spinach

rice, soy garden/earth balance, bbq sauce

make things more glorious: paprika, salt, garlic
Meal?: potatoes, onions, veggieburgers (cheap and use the 3 make things more glorious ingredients mentioned above and more spices)

salad veggies, rice, can of lentils

couscous (or rice), corn, veggie burger (crumbles, tvp)

veggie burger, salsa, mushed up and rolled in tortilla

refried beans, tofutti on tortilla
(This is Tofutti cream cheese, a high fat, but vegan, product)

rinsed can of chickpeas + can of tomatoes with liquid + curry powder + margerine

I throw a bag of frozen broccoli into a pot with a can of chickpeas. I throw in a little water, 1/2 a bouillon cube some garlic and italian seasoning. I cook it until everything is hot and steamy. I serve with a liberal dousing of Bragg's and a bunch of nooch. Simple and good.

("Nooch" is what the people on the PPK call nutritional yeast, a great product that gives things a cheesy taste)
VeggieSue

Thank you, VeggieSue! *:)* (nt)

Postby Clary » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:48 am

-no text-
Clary

Postby Sierra » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:13 am

This spicy soup is a colorful combination and is a snap to throw together...just open the cans and heat.

Fast Fiesta Soup

2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies

1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained

1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained

Shredded soy cheddar cheese and tofu sour cream, optional

DIRECTIONS
In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, corn and beans; heat through. Garnish serving with cheese and sour cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Sierra

Postby Doris » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:04 am

Here is another JanTz recipe:

Spaghetti O's (3 ingredients plus seasonings)
8 oz. box of "O" shaped pasta (any shape will do)
Cook pasta and drain. While pasta is cooking mix the following together.
1 can tomato soup
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of oregano
pinch of basil
Heat sauce and add to the drained pasta.

I bet that sauce would work on potatoes, or any whole grains.

:)
Doris

Postby Lilac » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Doris wrote:Here is another JanTz recipe:

Spaghetti O's (3 ingredients plus seasonings)
8 oz. box of "O" shaped pasta (any shape will do)
Cook pasta and drain. While pasta is cooking mix the following together.
1 can tomato soup
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of oregano
pinch of basil
Heat sauce and add to the drained pasta.

I bet that sauce would work on potatoes, or any whole grains.

I just made this sauce and wow is it great! I am cooking brown rice pasta to serve with it and yes this would be good on potatoes or any grains. Thank you for a yummy and oh so easy recipe!
Lilac

Postby mistyshores » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:52 pm

Macaroni, beans and Tomatoes

2 cups dry whole wheat macaroni or pasta of choice
2(15.5 oz) cans red beans or beans of choice
1(28 oz) can diced tomatoes

Boil macaroni and drain. Add beans and tomatoes and heat through. Then season any way you like.

My whole family loves this simple and quick recipe. I was seasoning it all with taco seasoning, but some were complaining they didn't like that, so that's why I decided to just make it plain and let them choose the spices. :)
mistyshores

Postby Jan Tz » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:23 am

3 Ingredients -- Endless Variety

Pick one ingredient from the starch group: rice, pasta, potatoes, other grains

Pick a vegetable or a bean

Pick a liquid: choose what you like and have on hand. Suggested sauces might be tomato paste/sauce, Manwich sauce, chili sauce, brown gravy, cream gravy, sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, vegetable broth, onion gravy, mushroom gravy, etc.

Cook the starch and the vegetable/bean. Add the liquid. Season to taste as desired. Use what you have, use what you like!
Jan Tz

Endless Variety!

Postby Clary » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:45 am

Jan Tz wrote:3 Ingredients -- Endless Variety

Pick one ingredient from the starch group: rice, pasta, potatoes, other grains

Pick a vegetable or a bean

Pick a liquid: choose what you like and have on hand. Suggested sauces might be tomato paste/sauce, Manwich sauce, chili sauce, brown gravy, cream gravy, sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, vegetable broth, onion gravy, mushroom gravy, etc.

Cook the starch and the vegetable/bean. Add the liquid. Season to taste as desired. Use what you have, use what you like!

How clever (and easy), Jan. --and useful, AND time saving! Thanks. :)
Clary

Postby Rita » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:44 am

Wow! I missed this thread guess cause was on vacation. Love it! My kind of cooking. Thanks, all.
Rita

great thread

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:44 pm

Thanks everyone. My 3 contributions:

pre-cooked brown rice
1 yam, chopped

small head of broccoli, cut in large chunks
or
baby bok choy cut in long stips
or
large pieces of chopped kale
(or whatever green you like)

Steam the yams and add the greens once the yams are almost done.

Serve everything over the rice. I like this with San J low-sodium, no msg soy sauce.

I also like the baked potato slices on wheat bread toast with ketchup as a spread. That's from a McDougall book.

Yam sushi is also good. If you can't get it at your local sushi place (I have to ask for my yam sushi steamed and not fried) you can make it yourself with the seaweed wraps, brown rice, and steamed yam. A little broccoli in there is also good. You also need rice vinegar for the rice and some time because it can be a trial.
Caroveggie

Carrot Raita

Postby FrauMomandant » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:51 pm

2 cups of shredded carrots
1 TBS. lime juice
1 TBS. honey
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper

Toss and serve.

Absolutely delicious!!

Keeping the home fires burning,

FrauMomandant