Making your own soy milk???

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Making your own soy milk???

Postby Mama Owl » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:17 am

HI, Im looking at a soy milk maker and wondering if anyone here uses them and how does it taste? Im looking at the soyquick that comes with the tofu maker kit as well. Are these worth the effort? We use the store products mostly since I have never learned to make this stuff myself. But Im considering it...cause the price is killing us. We use at least a gal of rice milk a week and almost that much soy milk for cooking.
Thanks
Donna
Pray the Rosary for Peace and the End of Abortion!

http://www.dtovarspecialties.com

Catholic Homeschoolers Rule! LOL!
Mama Owl

I've never used a soy milk maker...

Postby Clary » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:24 am

Mama Owl--A very long time ago, when I was a young Mom with several children, a desire to help them to be healthy, and sometimes limited funds, a friend taught me a principle to add to my decision-making processe techniques: "Do I have more time, or more money to put toward this?" (Sometimes I had very little of either, but one was usually dominant in most situations).

I looked for my soy milk instructions that I used years ago in my blender, adding dates, and straining through cheesecloth, but haven't done it in years and can't find the recipe. The dates were a touch that made the soymilk more acceptable to the children. I later switched to making my own rice milk, instead of soy milk, but that, too, was so long ago, that I don't remember the details of that, either.

Here, at this link, is a list from people who make their soy milk at home in their blenders, and a few other techniques.

http://nomilk.com/soymilks.txt

At this link, is one way (more lengthy than some of the above) to make your own home-made soy milk. Takes little investment except time. I am not sure how much of the article will copy and paste (good illustrations), so I will include the link, only:

http://justhungry.com/2006/03/milking_the_soy.html
I have a recipe from THE VEGETARIAN FAMILY, a cookbook I have used since 1978, which includes a recipe for soy milk make from soy flour. I don't recall making it this way, but will include it here, it is so simple:

1 cup soy flour
4 cups water

Mix water and soy flour. Let stand at room temperature for a couple hours. As it sticks easily, cook soy milk in a double boiler for about 45 minutes. OR, cook in a large pot, stirring constantly. For a smoother soy milk, strain through cheesecloth.

Pour into quart jar and cool in refrigerator.

HINTS:
*A chopped vanilla bean added while cooking gives a good flavor.
*A TB. of lecithin added to the quart bottle will help keep it in suspension.

VARIATION:
*Sweeten with a tablespoon of honey, if you like.
*May also be sweetened with molasses, maple sytup, or fruit syrups, and flavored with carob powder.
*Or, add fresh fruit such as bananas or blueberries, and blend until smooth.

SESAME SOY MILK:
This formula takes advantage of all the nutrients of soy milk, complemented by the high calcium content of the sesame seed. And since soy and sesame are complementary proteins their combination yields an abundance of high-quality vegetble protein...

1 cup Soy Milk, warm (from above recipe)
1 or 2 Tb. tahini
honey or molasses to taste

Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Last edited by Clary on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clary

Postby hope101 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:20 am

I have a Soyquick I bought 6 months ago, but I have only used it 4 times. I was just thinking the other day I should try it again. If you are going to use it for cooking it is likely worth it, but to drink alone I haven't had much success. Putting the lid on with the beans in is a technique I haven't mastered yet (please note this just might be my experience). I found the milk too gritty to drink on its own without straining through a dish towel, but that took forever.

You might want to browse on vegsource. I did some research before I bought mine and some people seemed to have loved theirs. It is certainly cheaper if you want to use it primarily for cooking.
hope101

soymilk maker

Postby aussie » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:39 am

I have been using a Soyquick for the last 2 years. I make it twice a week at least, and have been very happy with the results. As long as you are diligent about cleaning the wire mesh filter, it is great and saves me a bundle. Organic soybeans are pretty cheap.
aussie

Postby hope101 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:59 pm

Aussie: Do you sweeten yours or add anything?
hope101

Home-made Almond Milk and Tahini Milk...

Postby Clary » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:36 pm

Don't know if you would be interested in these, Mama Owl, but just in case...and this thread seems a good place to add these two recipes from Shelly Young from the book: The pH Miracle.
They sound simple to do:

ALMOND MILK

(-Serves 2-)
1/2 c. raw almonds (soaked 12 hours)
1/2 c. raw pine nuts (soaked 6 hours)
1 cup spring or filtered water

Soak almonds and pine nuts for 12 hours*. Put in blender and pulverize. Add 1 cup of water gradually, while continuing to blend on high. Strain through a fine strainer or cheesecloth (you can use the almond pulp as a body scrub). This milk will keep for three to four days. It is great on hot grains such as quinoa, buckwheat groats, millet, or amaranth. We like to add some soaked almonds to our grains for "crunch." You can thin further with more water if desired.

(* I typed the recipe as it is in the book. I don't know why the difference in the soaking times. Clary.)
-----------------------------
QUICK TAHINI MILK

-Serves 1-2-
2-4 Tb. tahini (raw)
1 cup water

Tahini is a butter made from hulled sesame seeds, usually used as a spread. It also makes a very nutritious milk, which is high in calcium and protein. In a blender, combine 2 Tb. of tahini with water. Blend thoroughly and taste. Add additional tahini and blend again for a richer milk. The milk will keep for three to four days.
Clary

are those higher in fat?

Postby Mama Owl » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:32 am

Are the tahini and almond milks higher in fats?

What is Tahini???

I also wanted to know about the sweeteners for soy/rice milk. Has anyone made rice milk in the soyquick unit?

Thanks'
Donna
Pray the Rosary for Peace and the End of Abortion!

http://www.dtovarspecialties.com

Catholic Homeschoolers Rule! LOL!
Mama Owl

soy milk sweetener

Postby aussie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:59 pm

I usually use 1.5 Tblsp maple syrup. If I've run out, I use honey.
aussie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning