Lucidguppy's journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lucidguppy's journal

Postby lucidguppy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:54 am

I've been on the Starch solution since October 1st 2015, and so far I've gone from 250 lbs to 195.3 lbs. Today I've managed to lose what I gained over Easter weekend (4 lbs !!!). I was mostly compliant but I did drink alcohol and have to many compliant snacks. Thank goodness it wasn't a super long weekend.

This past Friday I went to a birthday party at a restaurant - and I ate before I went. But I felt super awkward not eating so I got some side potatoes to just eat with other people. One guy said "Your diet is weird". Looking at the others eat app, main, and dessert made me realize how much **I** was eating beforehand. I was sort of jealous that they were able to eat all of that and stay thin ( but hey they probably ate much healthier when they're on their own ).

I don't think I've got the social aspects of this diet down. Whenever when I'm in a social setting I eat more and I eat more vegan snack foods (processed carbs). I feel like the diet is a wall between me and other people. I feel like I'm going to have to find some new friends while keeping my old one's too.
lucidguppy

Re: Lucidguppy's journal

Postby Debbie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:45 am

lucidguppy wrote:I don't think I've got the social aspects of this diet down.

After many years, I don't either. ha I often feel awkward and really don't care being around others unless my husband will also stay on plan, but that doesn't always happen. If I'm really prepared and make lots of compliant foods, I'm fine.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby lucidguppy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:54 pm

Had the same oatmeal and banana for breakfast. Brownrice and vegetable tomato goulash for lunch. Had the pizza potatoes meal from the starch solution for dinner (didn't make it in the slow cooker - but should do so as the potatoes took too long to cook).

Big surprise! My mom and dad are going vegan. (Mom says vaygan which always makes me laugh). She was convinced when she saw my weight loss for Easter. I'll be happy if she sticks with it for at least 10 days, by then I hope she'll keep on with it. Dad did some online research to "vet" Dr. McDougall. They'll be getting the McDougall book and I've told them to watch Forks over Knives tonight. Wish them luck!
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:36 am

Breakfast and lunch were the same yesterday - but for dinner had to make some pressure cooked potatoes and throw some tomato sauce leftovers on top (on top of pieces of bread).

Almost down to my lowest weight - currently at 195.2 lbs. It should have been less but I ate a bit too much for dinner as I was a bit stressed.

I need to get back into my weight lifting routine today - as it really helps with the weight loss.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:54 am

Had pasta with beans and brussel sprouts for dinner, with an apple and a mustard pickle sandwich for a later night snack but I think I ate too much as I gained 0.2 lbs this morning.

Exercised with weights yesterday and tried walking for 5 minutes every hour just to get my body warm. Back shoulder muscles ached so I had to take an Advil. The weight training really seems to add extra calorie burning.

54.8 lbs lost since October 1, 2015. (250 to 195.2 lbs)
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:22 am

B: same old oatmeal and fruit
L: Had pressure cooked potatoes and microwaved vegetables with a hoisin/sriracha sauce put all over. It tasted way better than I expected.

D: Greens and rotini from Q&E mdougal.

Snack was an apple and a piece of bread.

This morning I hit my lowest so far 193.9 (my bmi is now 26.3). Took me 10 days to get off what I gained over three days on Easter weekend (snacks, drinks, and eating until overfull).
lucidguppy

Postby Jazz Clarinet » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:15 am

Good job!

I can relate to how you feel in a social-eating setting. It's tough. I have weird food allergies too, which makes me want to go out to dinner gatherings even less. I just don't want to explain anything at all to anybody. :roll:

Your meals sound yummy.
Jazz Clarinet

Postby lucidguppy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:40 am

B: Has brown potatoes with salsa. Yum
L: Rice and Vegetables with hoisin sauce.

D: Sloppy Jills - the recipe we had wasn't very good. So sad. The kids hated it and so did we. Put a mark in the cookbook against it so we don't make the same mistake.

DW is going to be a bit more strict this week (she was 80-90% compliant) to see what happens, that's cool!

Head colds are going through the family - I thought we were supposed to never get sick anymore! :unibrow:

Stayed the same weight today - which I'm surprised about, I thought I would gain.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:16 pm

Made vegetable soup and brown rice for our lunch this week.

Pressure cooker brown rice cuts the time down by half which is nice.

lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:34 am

Yesterday we went out to a vegan restaurant, pretty much a cheat day. All vegan, but still not on plan.

There's always the next day right to get back on track!
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:35 am

Breakfast and lunch same as before.

Dinner was two bowls of whole wheat pasta and marinara sauce and a couple of whole wheat buns. Apple for dessert.

I've lost the weight I've gained from the cheat day, but haven't lost any more. At 193.8 lbs. Would really like to get into the 180's before my summer vacation.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:50 am

Bean burrito day was yesterday! I always eat too many. Microwaved a small half cup of chopped vegetables and put that in one. Also ate a can of chickpeas. I still use the wheat tortillas as I think the corn ones are horrible. I'll try the trader joe's version soon enough.

Finally lost 0.6 lbs to get down to 193.3 lbs today. Slow and steady right?
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:33 pm

Got a road bike and biked for 10 miles. Some really big hills ( for me ). Pretty sore but I'm glad I went out and flew. It's so cool that bikes can enable to so far just on your own energy.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:43 am

Had a real hard time pressure cooking and then baking potatoes for dinner last night. "Cooking under pressure" always seems to underestimate cooking times by a few minutes. Also had steamed asparagus (so much better than poached).

Not really losing this weekend. I was much more consistent losing at the begginging - I wouldn't lose a lot - but I would always be losing a little.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Wow this week flew by. I haven't lost much, but my trend is still downward - my withings app keeps showing me that I'm not failing. I'm pretty stressed out lately and have been eating processed wheat tortillas - and an extra can of beans when I should have had an apple.
lucidguppy

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning