My journey to a happier, more healthy life

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My journey to a happier, more healthy life

Postby glo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:55 am

WoW... so here I go again, and again!!!

Today is Dec 3, 2019... and I’m on the merry-go-round again. Here is what I wrote in my journal:

“ Whew. I really am: “old, fat, and hating it!” I think the FAT part is what bothers me the most. You know, inside I don’t feel fat. But oh my, when I try to bend and tie my shoes... then I definitely KNOW that I am FAT!
I go on a very healthy eating program... I stay right on program... I feel good... I have energy... My mind feels useful... I do this for about 2 or 3 months... then WHAM... or should I say... slowly, slowly, slowly... then WHAM! I’m into all kinds of junk food... feeding that hole inside of me that cannot be filled with food!!!
Anyone else out there? (Even if the “old” part doesn’t fit? LOL)”

I have lost weight, and I’m almost down to the 200 mark... and I WANT so badly to reach that goal, then set another goal to reach... etc.
My daughter is doing so well. She is sticking to The Starch Solution, and also does MWL program... I’m the one who gave her Dr. McDougall’s book on Maximum Weight Loss... and she has lost over 65 pounds and is maintaining. She loves it. She said she feels better and has so much more energy.

What in the world is wrong with me????
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:20 pm

The Lounge or Health Issues might be better forums to ask for advice. Food, Recipes & Meal Planning might not be best forum. May also want to link to existing thread, like this:

My journey to a happier, more healthy life
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53909 (Copy url from title and paste between URL tags.)

Very common to stop and start healthy habits. Happens all the time to lots of people.

Perhaps get detailed on specific situations that throw you off plan: Where are you? Who is with you? What are the foods? What are your thoughts? Then you can look for better responses to each situation. It may be a hundred separate things, not just a single issue that is tripping you up.

What cause off plan?
1. restaurant
2. take out (fast food)
3. holiday or feast (family)
4. party (friends)
5. work break lunch dinner
6. off plan food in house (off plan food shopping, off plan food family)
7. bar (alcohol)
8. cafe (coffee)
9. Other
michaelswarm

Postby glo » Wed May 27, 2020 12:29 pm

I had posted the following to a thread which was subsequently locked... so I am posting it here to my thread... because it should have been posted here anyway. OOOPS.... I misunderstood the topic of the previous thread. Sorry...

“I can only speak to my own experience. Over and over, I have gone on “program” and my blood sugars get better. Then, since I’ve been so good and had such good results and I can see absolutely that Dr. McDougall’s way of eating is helping me...
ahhh, now I can relax and just take a bite or two. Then three and four, etc. And before I know it, I’m back in my old habits. Eventually back to the JUNK food that has led me to Type 2 Diabetes.
So, for me personally... I know I need to stick strictly to the program.
Why go on and off, over and over — having the same result. How crazy is that?
By now, I should remember the definition of the word I N S A N I T Y. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Will it happen again? Will I slip again ... probably. But ... I will NOT give up. I know Dr. McDougall’s program will help me.
It’s not easy for this “food addict.” Just one bite can trigger my cravings!
And, OH I feel so much better on program!!! — Glo
P.S,
I truly admire those who can stick strictly to the program. Kudos!“
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby glo » Wed May 27, 2020 12:37 pm

Thank you to “michaelswarm” for your post. Excellent suggestions. — Glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby glo » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:31 am

Glo . .. here — AGAIN *sigh*
Today Is July 5, 2022
I see my primary care doctor this afternoon. He is totally agreeable to Dr. McDougall’s Way of Eating. “I” am the culprit… the one who is an “on again” “off again” … not very wise person.
My health has deteriorated. In addition to having had a brain stem stroke in July of 2021, Now i have been diagnosed with Ventricular Tachycardia… and will be having repeat heart monitor test and echocardiogram in August. The heart doctor wants to start me on Betablockers.
I try to only take the medications that are absolutely necessary. I’ve been reading Dr. McDougall’s newsletters about irregular heart rhythm, a-fib, and whatever I can find on the heart.
This is scary for me. My stroke should have been my wake-up call. And it was… for a while, then the junk foods started calling my name again… and i answered their call.
I have finally got my Type 2 Diabetes under control with Metformin and Glimepiride. These are 2 medications I totally refused to take prior to the stroke.
My one goal for right now, is to come to this forum and read… and learn. And find motivation. Although I’ve read that real motivation comes from within. I seem to always seek motivation from without.
I want to CONVINCE MYSELF that I need to take care of myself. NOBODY else can do it for me. NOBODY else can give me the motivation to take care of me. I have to do it. However, that said, reading the experiences of others helps me.
I am totally ashamed of myself for not being able to keep up with my chosen way of eating, and of all the wonderful doctors who have written about healthy eating, my choice has always been The McDougall Way.
So WHY can’t I stick to it. ????
Today is day 11 of staying totally away from added sugar and dairy products. CHEESE is my big downfall. But I’ve learned that I am sensitive to the casein in cheeses… all kinds of cheese. I finally saw the connection that if I ate cheese, then 2 days later I would be feeling so bad that I felt like I needed to go to the hospital. It affects my brain, my thinking, my emotions and more.
Well, that’s my story for today.
Thank you all, and I am so grateful that this discussion forum is still here!!!! Thank you to all who work behind the scenes and to Dr. McDougall for his persistence in presenting accurate information on why “It’s the food!!”
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:52 pm

Hope you are doing well now Glo you've had a bunch of serious medical difficulties to overcome! It sounds like you are finding the motivation to make real changes for your health.
ch47gunnergirl

Postby glo » Tue May 16, 2023 10:00 pm

May 16, 2023
Another attempt to eat healthy.
Frustrated to have failed so many times.
—- glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:57 am

Glo,

Welcome back. Over the last decade, I've thought a lot about this. I think humans have been struggling with these problems since the beginning of civilization. Our instincts are adapted to the wilderness, not to technology, and the same technology that gives us farms and cities also misleads our senses and instincts. We've attempted to learn from our mistakes and warn our children, wrapping the message in stories, morals, taboos and religions: gluttony, lust, envy, sloth, pride. Given the technology, it is our nature to error. Forgive yourself, and others, and keep trying.
michaelswarm

Postby barryoilbegone » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:43 pm

Hi Glo,

Akin to others have said - and what michaelswarm have said, I agree, and totally relate.

It's a delicate notion I know, with family being in rehab prior (really hope this went as best as could, with circumstances) - but the animal foods, oils and processed foods are so drug like. It's recognising that so many people are knowingly or unknowingly self medicating with these - and tackling addiction to these food like concoctions and food like substances, as Dr Klaper puts it. As long as there's the memory of addiction somewhere in mind, it can overwhelm us at emotional times. Potentially anyone. It can be total Moment of Surrender time as they'd say in AA/NA, and it's usually many of those moments, given how powerful the addictions can be.

I guess part of me as well has always remembered, and sometimes really disliked and been upset, by what Dr Popper says "if it's in your house, it's in your mouth". As it's totally true. That goes for in a restaurant - if it's on the table, it's in your mouth. If in a shop or supermarket, if you can reach it, it'll go in your shopping cart if addiction hits. Setting the home delivery on auto-click, if we can, for the McDougall cart... and the waiter the strict instructions.

It's even tougher of the rest of the world feels it doesn't have to care or bother about this (some never realise, even when it's too late of course).

It takes helluva courage to get back into the saddle, as you're trying to do. That's always worth it.

I wish the best, I really do.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning