Mallow's Bran Muffins

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mallow's Bran Muffins

Postby Mallow » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:37 pm

I adapted a favorite old recipe for bran muffins, and they turned out almost exactly the same as when they had fat and dairy! Yay! So, if you need a good whole wheat bran muffin recipe, here goes:

Mallow's Bran Muffins

INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup soy milk
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup applesauce
Egg replacer for 1 egg (I use Ener-G)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 12-cup muffin tin with a nonstick baking spray that contains flour, like Baker's Joy, or Pam for baking (it releases a lot better than plain baking spray.)

Pour soymilk into bowl and squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into it. Let sit for 10 minutes, to curdle it. Then, stir in the wheat bran and let sit for another 10 minutes, to soften the bran. Add the applesauce, egg replacer, brown sugar and vanilla and beat together.

In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and raisins. Stir flour mixture into soymilk mixture, just until blended.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let sit in pan to cool for 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack.

Makes 12 muffins.
Mallow

Postby LindaB » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:45 pm

Thank you Mallow - that sounds delicious, and I have been craving a bran muffin lately. Please keep adapting and posting recipes. I print them out and then give them a try. Take care, LindaB. :-D
LindaB

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning