Is oat-milk a special occasion food or everyday fare?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is oat-milk a special occasion food or everyday fare?

Postby Hal » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 am

I am hoping to add one of the recommended cereals for a fourth daily meal - looking at possibly shredded wheat or one of the Kashi offerings. Is sugar-free oat-milk is A-OK for this WOE or is oat-milk a food that one should limit to occasional use? Thanks all.
Hal

Re: Is oat-milk a special occasion food or everyday fare?

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:39 am

Oat milk is fine. In fact, Mary McDougall has shown recipes where you can make your own using just water and oatmeal.
VeggieSue

Postby Vegankit » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:55 am

A little oat milk splashed on cereal is acceptable. It’s hard to find a compliant commercial oat milk.

However it’s extremely easy to make oat milk at home. Sold water with some old fashioned oatmeal. Blend and filter out particles. I prefer making my own since it’s only oats.

We rarely add any plant milk to cereal. Add water to cereal to moisten and let it sit a few minutes then stir. Some of the cereal starch will mix into the water creating a milky liquid. True it’s not as thick as milk but it doesn’t have any additives and is easy.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Hal » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Does the home made oat-milk get rid of the electrolytic or 'watery' taste of plain water?
Hal

Postby Vegankit » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:14 am

Hal wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Does the home made oat-milk get rid of the electrolytic or 'watery' taste of plain water?

The home made oat milk has a very mild oatmeal flavor. If you want you can add a small amount of vanilla extract to the oatmeal milk to enhance its flavor. (Add a drop at a time to the milk you made and taste before deciding if you need another drop or two). If you want thicker oat milk you can blend in a ripe banana. The banana will give the milk a thick, non-watery texture and banana flavor. Adding both banana and vanilla makes a really delicious milk.

When I make oatmeal milk I soak 1 cup water with 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal. Then I blend and sieve for a smooth milk. This is thick so I add water to thin it out for the purpose I will use the milk. Most recipes call for 4 cups water and 1 cup oatmeal. If I want a very watery oat milk I add 3 more cups of water. Making oat milk my way you can choose how thick you want it for your cereal.

You can also make banana milk blending a banana with water. Add as much water as you want to achieve the texture you want. I believe there’s a recipe on this forum to make banana milk.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby PJK » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am

I like Oatly oat milk - the low-fat version. It's quite good and quite compliant.

Just 90 cal. for a 1-cup serving.

That has 1 g. of fat - about 9 calories, for a total of 10% fat, which is pretty good.

And no saturated fat at all.

Ingredients: at least 98% just oats and water.

https://us.oatly.com/collections/produc ... lk-chilled
PJK

Postby Hal » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:59 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions, all. Just a heads up for anyone else wanting to try a little compliant cereal - be sure to read the box carefully. It turns out even the best brand names offer non-compliant varieties by the same name, and the boxes can look much alike. For example i found the Kashi section of the cereal aisle and they had what looked like a dozen different flavors to choose from, most of which have way too much sugar and contain some oil.
Hal

Postby KatherineUK » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:54 pm

If you can get it Oatly Organic Oat Drink is fine.

https://www.oatly.com/int/products/oat-drink-organic
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning