bits of grit in fusilli

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

bits of grit in fusilli

Postby Hal » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:55 pm

So i was having a big bowl of pasta spirals with seasoned tomato puree sauce for lunch. I got the small fusilli size this time because the larger size that i much prefer have been out at the store for a while and some helpful person decided to put some fusilli packages where the larger spirals should be. So i took the bait without thinking. Anyway I was getting a few tiny bits of 'grit' every now and then in every other bite full- just a little 'snick' of something between the molars but very hard, like a nano-particle of hard mineral, but no pain, and i heard a crunch sound. Then i remembered why i stopped getting the fusilli for over two years now - the same little pieces of grit. What do you think these little bits of grit are? Any ideas? I'll let the grocer know.
Hal

Re: bits of grit in fusilli

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:59 am

Most likely they're just bits of pasta that broke off from the package being bounced around in manufacturing, transportation and delivery and just didn't cook up as well as whole pieces of pasta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4yrC5NXAak
I found that happens a lot with the curly shapes, whether it's whole wheat or semolina (white) flour pastas. Right now, my husband and I eat the Tinkyada brown rice pastas exclusively and we've never run into that problem, but our son prefers the regular semolina pastas when he cooks his meals and runs into those bits a lot. Unfortunately, many usually land on the floor, leaking out the bottom of the box, before they get into the pot of boiling water.
VeggieSue

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning