Winter squash

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Winter squash

Postby Plumerias » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:42 am

With the days shortening and cooling (in some places), various winter squashes are becoming widely available. In looking for inspiration for some new recipes and instruction on how to use some unfamiliar varieties, I came across this website. Looks like it has potential.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/winter-sq ... ns-2217736

Favorite uses anyone?
Plumerias

Re: Winter squash

Postby Daydream » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 am

Thank you for posting this. I like roasted Kabocha squash and also Red Kuri squash.
Daydream

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:08 pm

Here in Australia what you refer to as winter squash we refer to as pumpkin.
In the major supermarkets the main winter squash you see are Kabocha (known here as Jap or Kent), butternut and Queensland blue.
I mostly use Kabocha and butternut. Both have dense orange flesh which not all winter squashes do.
Nowadays I have a quarter acre of land on which to grow things and as we are headed into summer I have just planted out seedlings of butternut squash (a longer variety). I still have winter squashes laying around from last season's harvest.
It's no coincidence that I have the name Pumpkin Pete on this board. Pumpkin or winter squash as you refer to it is a food I use regularly. Up until my early 30s I had hardly ever had winter squash. I have made up for it since then.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby MINNIE » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:00 pm

I am eating lovely locally grown kabocha and delicata every day!
Kabocha is the queen of squash/pumpkins for me. I eat it every day when I can get it. I have never put it in a recipe because I am too lazy. But it tastes so rich, sweet and starchy by itself that I don't feel the need to.

I bake it whole, or microwave it for a few minutes to soften the shell. Then I cut it up and steam it.

For some reason I never tried delicata before, but it is delicious and very easy to cook.

I poke a few holes with a fork and microwave the squash on high temp for 6-8 minutes until is is soft and starting to cave in a bit.

To me it has almost a vanilla-like flavor -very interesting.
MINNIE

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning