Spices and Seasonings

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Spices and Seasonings

Postby Red721 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi,

I want to give the starch solution a try. I did buy the book by John McDougall and Mary McDougall on Amazon.

I understand the basics with starch and plant based foods from what I read.

My question is what are the best seasonings, sauces, spices, spreads or dips etc. I don't think I could handle starches in large quantities by themselves like beans, rice, and potatoes. Traditional butter is out, not sure of soy sauce or duck sauce examples.

I did find about nutritional yeast, that it has a cheesy flavor but saw it can cause side effects if started too much too soon. I saw that on a Youtube video.

Does anyone know a long list of seasonings, sauces, or spices on website, or book, or learned over time that would help.

I know recipes on McDougall's book and website are fine, but what about the basics and not complicated recipes, like not having time prepare. I know processed diners are out, so if I was in a hurry or not feel like cooking at the time what could I have.
I did read these two threads.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10924

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5046

The problem is that I have tried the way of imitation meat. I used to eat spicy bean burgers, Morningstar Farms. I don't really want to go the way of tofu and the like anymore.

Also any help with Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, like what to eat, or when to eat certain starches or plant based foods, and so on.

I also have an air fryer, what could I use in that.

Thanks for the help.
Red721

Re: Spices and Seasonings

Postby Vegankit » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:54 pm

Here’s a link to prepackaged foods https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ged-foods/

I use all kinds of herbs and spices, both fresh and dried. The only dried spices I don’t buy are things like garlic salt.... I buy garlic. Spice mixes often have too much salt but I have found mixes without salt. Some spice mixes have dairy, again I don’t buy those. I read all the labels before purchasing.

I also use nutritional yeast.

I’m sensitive to sodium so I’m extremely careful when using soy sauce. Most commercial products have too much sodium, sugar and oils so it’s important to read the labels.

And here’s a link for Jeff’s SNAP meals. Easy nutritious recipes using mostly packaged food. search.php?keywords=Snap+meals&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=22&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I don’t eat any imitation meat and we probably have tofu once or twice a year. You don’t have to eat any to be successful. Jeff does have a wonderful hamburger recipe that is easy and holds together when cooking. It’s so simple to make and vary the flavor in it that I would never waste my money on Morningstar burgers.

I don’t have an air fryer but I have an induction oven and I sometimes make oven fries.

As for meals, there is no schedule of when to eat anything. We sometimes have leftovers from supper for breakfast. If you post what you typically eat others can provide you suggestions of McDougall appropriate alternatives.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Red721 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks for the help.

When you say seasoning packs, is there a specific brand or blend you like. I understand soy sauce, I usually buy the low sodium version. I also buy garlic, I really like to use a garlic press.

Before discovering this diet, I did do things like put sliced potatoes in the oven with spices. I don't have any problems with potatoes and recipes, baked potatoes, sliced, mashed, etc. I need more suggestions for beans like dried or even canned. A lot of baked beans have maple syrup. brown sugar, with bacon, or like pork and beans. This seems to limited to beans to something like Bush vegetarian beans. Any other brands that exist that work?
Also I don't have much experience with dried beans types and seasonings. As far as rice goes I was hoping to expand the lists of seasonings beyond say soy sauce. A lot of rice meals from store is seasoned with chicken or cheese or butter. I know how to cook dried rice, but what seasonings can go with it like other than chicken boullion, I would like to expand that list.

Thanks again for your help!
Red721

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:47 pm

Where to start?

How I cook now is different than 10 years ago when I started.

Back then, I purchased more packaged products: oil-free bread, salt-free beans, salt-free tomatoes, oil-free marinara sauce, salsa, sugar free ketchup, etc. I experimented a lot with spices, exploring Indian curry and rice dishes, often using 5-10 spices per dish. I used to make seasoned rice dishes like tomato rice, carrot rice and lemon rice, and added onion, garlic and spice to my cooking beans and lentils.

Now, I purchase few packaged products, and use mostly fresh produce and bulk dry goods. My use of spices is minimal, often just a single spice to add another note of flavor. I make mostly plain rice and plain beans, because that is the most flexible way. I typically have multiple containers of plain rice, lentils, beans and potatoes in the refrigerator, ready to go as ingredients. I make my own marinara sauce and salsa. Extra gets frozen.

I use individual spices rather than mixes. Whole spices and chilis often get toasted. I use the blender to blend whole spices along with vegetables.

I feed a family of 5 with 3 kids.

Breakfast is one of
- apple porridge
- overnight oats
- banana oat pancakes and apple sauce
- amaranth cereal and almond milk
- whole wheat toast

I make one of either lunch or dinner and leftover for the other meal. Always lots of basic ingredients and leftovers in refrigerator. The following routine is not set in stone, for example, today is Friday, and I’m making tacos because I have basic beans, potatoes, salsa and tortillas readily available. Burgers on whole wheat buns, oven baked fries, pasta with marinara sauce, spinach curry and baked tofu or shepherd’s pie get made often.

Mon: Beans (Sun nite soak beans. Mon morning start slow cooker beans.)
Tue: Fruit Salad (fresh fruit from shopping day)
Wed: Bean and Potato Tacos or recently Sushi
Thu: Whole Wheat Bread (Thu morning start dough)
Fri: Soup (Fri morning start soup)
Sat: Pizza (Sat morning start dough)
Sun: Variable

You need to find out what works for you. Packaged products save time. Cooking from scratch saves money and tastes better, in my opinion.

You just need 1 breakfast and 3-5 lunch-dinner dishes that you enjoy to get started. Add dishes as your time and skills allow.

I have learned more about ingredients in the last 10 years than my first 40 years. I enjoy finding new vegetables that I have never cooked with before. I often stump the supermarket checker with produce they don’t know the name of. I enjoy being creative in the kitchen.

Hope some of these ideas are useful to you. Have fun.
michaelswarm

Postby Vegankit » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:19 pm

Red721 wrote:Thanks for the help.

When you say seasoning packs, is there a specific brand or blend you like. I understand soy sauce, I usually buy the low sodium version. I also buy garlic, I really like to use a garlic press.

Before discovering this diet, I did do things like put sliced potatoes in the oven with spices. I don't have any problems with potatoes and recipes, baked potatoes, sliced, mashed, etc. I need more suggestions for beans like dried or even canned. A lot of baked beans have maple syrup. brown sugar, with bacon, or like pork and beans. This seems to limited to beans to something like Bush vegetarian beans. Any other brands that exist that work?
Also I don't have much experience with dried beans types and seasonings. As far as rice goes I was hoping to expand the lists of seasonings beyond say soy sauce. A lot of rice meals from store is seasoned with chicken or cheese or butter. I know how to cook dried rice, but what seasonings can go with it like other than chicken boullion, I would like to expand that list.

Thanks again for your help!
I have a huge collection of spices that I use. Most of my spices are just the one spice but I do have several mixes I like I buy spiced from Indian and Asian Grocery stores as well as Penzeys Spices and the grocery store.

I love a Japanese curry blend S&B Oriental Curry powder - I believe there's a recipe for Japanese curry on the forum. It's delicious. In addition to making Japanese curry, I also use it to make a quick dish. I stir fry frozen veggies, add cooked cubed potatoes and some of this curry powder mix to taste to make a very easy, flavorful dinner.

Penzeys Spices has a nice tandori spice blend that I like to use on cut up cauliflower mixed with a little lemon juice to make a faux Indian tandori.

Thai Kitchen has some curry pastes - you have to read the label because some have fat - that I use to make Thai curries.

And there's a baked beans recipe someone on this website that looks good.

As for rice - I keep it plain and serve stir fries over it. I vary the stir fries with various spices - maybe Chinese, or Thai etc. This is often my quick meal because I cook up a large batch of rice (or quinoa which I often use instead of rice) and keep it in the fridge. It's easy to heat up what we need for a meal in the microwave - just add a few drops of water and seal, microwave a few minutes. Stir fries can be very easy and quick to make - served over rice and we have a meal.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Plumerias » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:31 pm

Hello, and welcome!

I'll give it a go.

My question is what are the best seasonings, sauces, spices, spreads or dips etc. I don't think I could handle starches in large quantities by themselves like beans, rice, and potatoes. Traditional butter is out, not sure of soy sauce or duck sauce examples.

The best seasonings, etc, are the ones you like best. That's a very personal matter. And you'll be surprised how good simple can taste once you are accustomed to "cleaner" foods. Soy sauce tends to be rather high in sodium, our use is rather minimal. Don't know what duck sauce is, but if it contains duck.......

I did find about nutritional yeast, that it has a cheesy flavor but saw it can cause side effects if started too much too soon. I saw that on a Youtube video.

Many here use nutritional yeast as they enjoy the cheesy flavor. As I have always hated cheese, there's none of that here.

Does anyone know a long list of seasonings, sauces, or spices on website, or book, or learned over time that would help.

There have been numerous conversations here over the years about this. Take some time and use the search function to explore here. If you enjoy Indian cuisine, any of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks (try her World Vegetarian) will have a great deal of information about spices. But again, that's personal preference. There are lots in our kitchen. We also make generous use of fresh herbs. Many recipes also use citrus juices for example.

I know recipes on McDougall's book and website are fine, but what about the basics and not complicated recipes, like not having time prepare. I know processed diners are out, so if I was in a hurry or not feel like cooking at the time what could I have.

There is a saying here that goes something like "Failing to plan is planning to fail". So, learn how to plan. Many set aside a period of time to batch cook. Maybe a large batch of rice or potatoes once a week, perhaps some portioned for the freezer. We always make extra rice. Keep a good selection of canned goods, frozen veggies, and the like. Then all you have to do is combine whatever together, warm it up, and you're all set. It doesn't have to be complicated. That's what leftovers are for!

The problem is that I have tried the way of imitation meat. I used to eat spicy bean burgers, Morningstar Farms. I don't really want to go the way of tofu and the like anymore.

Good, because analog foods aren't really foods, IMHO. Morningstar Farms is to real food as Velveeta is to real cheese. We only eat tofu on the very rare trip to an Asian restaurant. I think the last time was two and a half years ago while we were travelling.

Also any help with Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, like what to eat, or when to eat certain starches or plant based foods, and so on.

There are no hard and fast rules. You just need to experiment with what works for you and yours. It will take time, and may not stay the same over time.

I also have an air fryer, what could I use in that.

I don't have one of those, but many here do. Again, try the search function.

When you say seasoning packs, is there a specific brand or blend you like.

You might look at the Mrs. Dash's options in the spices area of your grocery store. They're inexpensive and widely available. The one with the yellow lid/label is an all purpose salt free one, which can be used where a soup recipe calls for that, for example. We do use a few blends, like chili powder (Frontier's Fiesta chili powder), garam masala (purchased at an Indian grocery), curry powder (curry varies from culture to culture).

Pre-covid, I would advise people to see if their local health/natural foods stores had a section with bulk spice and dried herbs jars. You can just get a little bit of whatever smells good and try that, very inexpensively. At present I'm not comfortable making that recommendation, but that's up to you. We buy a lot of our spices in larger bags at Indian grocery stores, as it's very cost effective. Common things like dried oregano can be purchase in larger jars at ordinary grocery stores, for example. As vegankit suggested, look at the Penzey's Spices website for some learning, some ideas. I don't think their stores are open at present, although they are doing online sales. I know this because we need some baking extracts, and DH looked this morning.

We do use Bush's vegetarian baked beans, mostly in the warmer weather when we're making picnic food type meals.

If you have spices you enjoy with potatoes, you have that one covered already.

Please clarify more suggestions for beans. We buy salt free canned beans, mostly Whole Foods Market's 365 brand, which cost as little as $.79 when on sale. You can also find no salt added in many a grocery store's own line, like Kroger. We cook dried beans with only water. When you have basics, your combinations are infinite. Refer to above with respect to batch cooking. Many cook a particular bean each week and then plan meals around that variety. Home cooked beans freeze well.

I never season my rice when cooking it. With the exception of wanting some plain when not feeling well, all my rice ends up as part of an ensemble meal, and needs no other seasoning. Any seasonings/tastes you want can go with rice.

Here's an example for both beans and rice. (And by the way, don't forget lentils when thinking about the beans.) It's cooling off, so it's soups, stews, and chili season! If you make chili, your beans are seasoned within that chili. Serve it over hot brown rice, and your rice is also seasoned. No need to make it feel complicated.

Please remember that a meal can be as simple as a microwaved potato.

Okay, that's all I've got at present.
Plumerias

Postby Plumerias » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Plumerias

Postby Red721 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Thank you for such a long list of help. I will post my experience and results with the all the help and suggestions.
Red721

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning