Looking for ideas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Looking for ideas

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi friends. My husband has decided that he wants to try this way of eating and he has some restrictions that need to be accommodated. Can you help me think of some ideas?

In addition to no animals or oil, also no beans/legumes, wheat, corn, onion, garlic and tomato.

(He’s having a little trouble understanding that this isn’t just vegan. He keeps asking for vegan Hellman's, LOL.)

Thanks in advance!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Looking for ideas

Postby Plumerias » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:48 pm

It's been a while, but I seem to remember Katydid had some serious food issues, including beans. Maybe looking for some of her old stuff might be useful?
Plumerias

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:04 am

I think the first question I would ask in such a situation is 'what can I eat'.
For instance grains and starchy vegetables that provide the basis for meals include oats, rice, buckwheat, potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Seeing there is little restriction on fruits and vegetables there is still a wide scope of acceptable foods to choose from.
From your list of what can be consumed you can start to plan meals.

As a vegan I'm often asked 'what do you eat' - I just say 'plants'. I now have a substantial veggie garden so I plan all my meals around what is in season and is in abundance. When there are no tomatoes from the garden I don't buy them. I don't find this restrictive as there is always something in the garden to be incorporated in a meal.
My point is to get away from the idea of 'restriction' as there are a still a vast array of options.

You may find this website with a long recipe list useful;
https://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/index.html
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Daydream » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:00 am

Pick your husband's favorite foods and make recipes/meals from that. Stews and soups would be good for this time of year and those can be served over brown rice or his favorite grain.

Lyndzie wrote: He keeps asking for vegan Hellman's, LOL.)

There are recipes for vegan mayonnaise if that is what he would like.
Daydream

Postby PJK » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 am

That still leaves you with quite a few starches, including potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, rice and other grains - oats, buckwheat, quinoa, farro, etc.

For ex, A simple lunch could be a mixed salad with a baked potato or sweet potato. Then a fresh sliced apple or pear for dessert.

Or maybe a veggie bowl based around brown rice.

And tell him "starches, not vegan."
PJK

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:08 pm

In addition to other good suggestions...

Oat Based
- Banana Oat Pancakes
- Oatmeal-Porridge

Potato Based
- Oven Fries
- Baked Potatoes
- Breakfast Potatoes
- Shepherd’s Pie (essentially any vegetable stew with mashed potatoes topping)
- Vegetable Soup-Stew with Potato

Rice Based
- Rice and Vegetable Bowl
- Indian Vegetable Curries (potato curry, eggplant curry, okra curry, etc.)
- Vegetable Soup-Stew with Rice

Also depends on whether avoiding foods because of taste “don’t like vegetables” or because of gas-bloating-sensitivity “does not agree with me”.

If the latter case, might also want to start with lower fiber foods, enjoy lots of soups and stews (cook fruits and vegetables) and slowly increase fiber and variety to heal and build the gut ecosystem.
michaelswarm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning