Tortillas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tortillas

Postby Jack Monzon » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:36 pm

Does anyone know if this exists?

Flour tortillas without oil

or

Corn tortillas that are giant and can be used as a burrito

Whole Foods used to have the former, but I can't find them anymore. I'm getting fed up with the tiny corn tortillas that barely hold anything in them and want something more burrito-size.
Jack Monzon

Re: Tortillas

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:13 am

Besides those Food for Life Ezekial ones that come frozen and taste like cardboard and snap (even when heated) like a potato chip?

Not in whole grain and not without additives. La Tortilla Factory has one that comes in either white corn and wheat or yellow corn and wheat. All their other flour tortillas have some kind of oil.
https://www.latortillafactory.com/view/ ... tortillas/

Non-GMO Hand Made Style Tortillas, White (or Yellow) Corn & Wheat

WATER, STONE GROUND CORN (or yellow corn) MASA FLOUR, WHEAT GLUTEN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF: GUAR GUM, NON-ALUMINUM BAKING POWDER (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SEA SALT, FUMARIC ACID, TRACE OF LIME, TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS (CALCIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID).

I bought these once a few years back and they had a gummy mouth feel and not much of a taste. The only good thing I could say was that they held together a bit longer than the healthier tortillas did. I've never seen them in any of my local stores ever again, but I see you can order direct from the company's web site if you're truly desperate. Looks like it's $24 for 6 packages of 8 tortillas each. No idea what shipping is.

I know other people had said they were using lavash bread, I think from Whole Foods, and others used pita bread sliced in half the hard way.

The only meal I ever used flour tortillas with was Mary McDougall's enchiladas, and when I make it now I make it deconstructed, sort of like a lasagna, with flat corn tortillas.

Larger corn tortillas - Mission brand has what they're calling "super sized" corn tortillas. But it's not just corn - it also contains cellulose gum, guar gum, amylase, propionic acid, benzoic acid, and phosphoric acid (preservatives). They're also NOT supersized, just regular 6" corn tortillas. Their regular sized tortillas are even smaller than that, so I guess they *are* "supersized" compared to those.

And La Tortilla Factory also has a corn tortilla with the same ingredients as those, also called "super size", but I can't find any web site giving the dimensions. https://www.latortillafactory.com/produ ... uper-size/

This is why everyone tells us healthy eaters to just make them ourselves - because it's the only way we can get what we want. Good luck in your search!
VeggieSue

Postby MINNIE » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:17 am

I don't know if they are big enough, but I use the sprouted corn Ezekiel tortillas a lot. The trick to thawing/ heating these is to keep them covered so they don't dry up.

I put them in the microwave under a silicon pot lid or pyrex bowl cover. I heat them for about 20 seconds but YMMV depending on your microwave. If you cover them and get the time right they are soft enough to fold. To me, they have a robustly corn-ey taste when heated this way.

(Note that I haven't been able to roll them, but they do fold OK).

If you live in a place where there is a Hispanic grocery or tortillaria that sells them fresh, you could call and ask them if they can make you a larger size -you never know.

So far, I haven't seen any ready made burrito-sized corn tortillas, so maybe the answer is to buy some masa and try making them? It's pretty easy, especially if you don't care about having them perfectly circular :).

Or do what I do: use regular size tortillas and just make two or three small tacos instead of one big one!
MINNIE

Postby pundit999 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:46 am

These are compliant and very tasty.
Used to be able to get them at Super Walmarts and Krogers. Have not seen them of late in Walmart. And Krogers closed down here.
https://www.tortillaland.com/gluten-free-corn-tortillas/

pundit999

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:01 am

pundit999 wrote:Used to be able to get them at Super Walmarts and Krogers.

No stores in my part of NJ have ready-to-cook tortillas of any brand, only the already cooked ones.

When I go to their website and check where they're sold, our local store, and all other Walmarts within about 50 miles, only have the flour ones.

It also listed a Modell's Sporting Goods store about 25 miles away as having them (Weird!). Our closest Modell's closed last year, but I know they never had fresh food, only a small display of protein bars. Do some Modell's really sell things like this?
VeggieSue

Postby bebe » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:23 am

I always use water on my store bought ones to soften them. Prior to heating on an open plate in the microwave, I run one or both sides under the faucet. Then 30-40 seconds in the microwave, uncovered. Works well in the toaster this way, too.
bebe

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning