Sweets

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Sweets

Postby PJK » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 pm

We make banana ice cream often ... this is compliant:

For 2 people:
* 2 very ripe bananas, frozen
* Nondairy milk (oat, soy, etc.)
* Cocoa powder

Combine in a blender. Blend. Eat.

No need to measure. 2 bananas...a bit of milk (maybe 1/4 cup?)...about a tablespoon or so of cocoa. You can always taste and adjust.

Easy, creamy and good.

I do let the frozen bananas thaw a bit, for maybe 5 minutes. Otherwise, the bananas are rock hard, and my blender can't do much with them. Your mileage may vary.

And no need to add sugar or any other sweetener, as the sweetness comes directly from the ripe bananas.
PJK

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:50 pm

PJK wrote:We make banana ice cream often ... this is compliant:

For 2 people:
* 2 very ripe bananas, frozen
* Nondairy milk (oat, soy, etc.)
* Cocoa powder

Combine in a blender. Blend. Eat.

No need to measure. 2 bananas...a bit of milk (maybe 1/4 cup?)...about a tablespoon or so of cocoa. You can always taste and adjust.

Easy, creamy and good.

I do let the frozen bananas thaw a bit, for maybe 5 minutes. Otherwise, the bananas are rock hard, and my blender can't do much with them. Your mileage may vary.

And no need to add sugar or any other sweetener, as the sweetness comes directly from the ripe bananas.

I do this too, only I use a food processor, rock hard frozen bananas, sliced, and no liquid. The result is a product with the texture of premium ice cream. It's also nice if you omit the cocoa and substitute a little lime juice and zest, then serve it in a half papaya as desert or along side of a spicy meal.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Hal » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:18 pm

Sounds delicious, PJK. Thanks.
Hal

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Hi! I just had a bunch of avocado to use up and I made an avocado chocolate mousse that I really liked. The (non)recipe was roughly 2 ripe avocados, 1 large overripe banana, 2 heaping spoons of cocoa powder (just Hershey's unsweetened), a very large handful of fresh mint (or sub mint extract to taste), a bit of filtered water. Use only as much water as needed to keep the blades moving. I just blended it all (I think it would work in a blender or food processor) until really smooth and a little fluffy, and portioned into 4-6 dishes, covered and refrigerated till set and the flavors combined. I think you could easily play with the flavoring, I went the chocolate route since I didn't add any citrus to keep the avocado from turning brown.
ch47gunnergirl

Postby PJK » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:58 pm

The problem there is that avocados are both caloric and very fatty. For those of us losing weight, those aren't great features.

Specifically: 1 avocado = 160 calories, of which about 132 are from fat. That works out to over 80% of calories from fat. "Low fat" generally means 20% or fewer of calories.

https://www.verywellfit.com/calories-in ... do-3495640

By contrast, a banana has just 90 calories, of which only about 3 are from fat.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fo ... #nutrition
PJK

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning