Knish recipes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Knish recipes

Postby Chumly » Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 am

I recently discovered knishes in the frozen food section of my local Publix grocery store. They're delicious! They seem like they would be a perfect McDougall food if they could be made without oil. Has anyone got a good recipe?

Michael
Chumly

Re: Knish recipes

Postby MINNIE » Wed May 26, 2021 8:21 am

There seem to be a lot of vegan knish recipes online, but most of them use oil.

This is from Forks Over Knives, and is oil-free. It might be helpful for the pastry instructions.
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... n-knishes/

The filling is non-traditional, but you can change it if you want the old-fashioned potato/onion mix. Or just use whatever you want.

I wonder if you could make a decent knish with pre-made spring roll wrappers, or other oil-free doughs. I've never tried it, but maybe someone else her has.

I haven't eaten these in years, but as an aspiring vegetarian in New York in the '60's I sure ate a lot of knishes and kasha -yum!:)

You might want to check with Jeff Novick about this, as he might have expertise in Jewish cooking that is McDougall-compliant.
MINNIE

Postby JeffN » Wed May 26, 2021 9:04 am

Here are 2 recipes. The first one is from No Cholesterol Passover Recipe by Debra Wasserman and Charles Stahler and the second one is from The Low-fat Jewish Vegetarian Cookbook (same authors)

For the dough
1 1/2 cup Matzo Meal (or Whole Grain flour)
4 tbsp potato starch (I think this is optional)
1 1/3 cup water

Mix the above well, refrigerate for 15 minutes then form into 2 ball. Roll out (or flatten) to about 1/4 inch thick. and cut into 3" x 5" squares.

Filling
3 cup cooked and mashed potatoes
1 large onion, chopped and sautéed in water
1/4 tsp each paprika and pepper

Lay about 1 1/2 tbsp filling in each dough square. Fold in sides and pinch closed. Lay on non stick baking pan and bake at 400 degree until light brown

Here is a link to the second one. I would reduce the salt or leave it out.
http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/potatoes/potato-knishes

We used to make the first one, but have not made it in like 30 years when my daughter was much younger. We would just get Whole Wheat tortillas, cut them into appropriate size, fill with mashed potatoes (sautéed with onions, mushrooms, etc), or roll them burrito style) and bake. We would also substitute cooked kasha for the potato. Or we would just make these balls of mashed potatoes, cool them down, then roll them in whole wheat flour and then bake them.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby MINNIE » Wed May 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Thanks, Jeff !

Those all sound good. I'll probably try all of them at some point.

Whole wheat tortillas with a potato filling -why have I never thought of that??

Will be trying it soon :).
MINNIE

Postby Chumly » Fri May 28, 2021 9:23 am

Hi Jeff and Minnie,

Thank you! I will give them a try. They seem like they would make a great portable starchy snack!

Michael
Chumly

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:03 pm

What about some good kasha knishes?
Vanilla Orchid

Postby realfood » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:22 pm

Interesting concept. I have to try this recipe.
Maybe I will make half the recipe as is and half filled with some exciting Ethiopian spices. I can also imagine it with some smoked paprika type crumbled tofu inside and mushrooms.
And maybe a carrot dog inside it
realfood

Postby Chumly » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:10 am

I finally got around to making some knishes. They came out very tasty and were easy to make. I will experiment with using buckwheat next time I make them.

https://bestofvegan.com/vegan-wrap-n-bake-knish/

Michael
Chumly

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning