Mary's dehydrated potato recommendation

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mary's dehydrated potato recommendation

Postby Starchyme » Sun May 30, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi, while watching one of the Mcdougall's segments of what to keep in the house during the pandemic, Mary mentioned dehydrated potatoes. I couldn't catch the brand name. Can someone tell me? Thanks.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Re: Mary's dehydrated potato recommendation

Postby Daydream » Sun May 30, 2021 3:34 pm

Daydream

Postby VeggieSue » Mon May 31, 2021 4:41 am

Starchyme wrote:Hi, while watching one of the Mcdougall's segments of what to keep in the house during the pandemic, Mary mentioned dehydrated potatoes. I couldn't catch the brand name. Can someone tell me? Thanks.

There were 3 names mention between a few videos, Harmony House, My Patriot Supply, Augaston Farms.

I buy the tiny (1/4") diced and the slices from Harmony House - been doing that for years. They come in sizes from small pouches up to 20 pound boxes and last forever. They also have diced sweet potatoes that I use a lot. Of course, they also have a wide variety of other veggies, both dehydrated and freeze-dried, as well as fruits, beans, soup, stew and chili varieties. This stuff saved my butt a lot, not just during early covid days but through hurricane and blizzard seasons every year. I still add a handful of their spinach into my oats each morning.

He showed a bucket of spuds from Augaston Farms in one video, but I see now all they have are something called "funeral potatoes" and "mashed potatoes", each with additives we shouldn't be eating - no plain potatoes at the moment. Since I've been doing business with Harmony House for over 20 years I've never bothered to order anything from these people.
VeggieSue

Postby Starchyme » Mon May 31, 2021 5:37 am

Great! Thanks all for the education. I'll look into Harmony House. Right now I'm using Bob's Red Mill and it's pretty good. I sometimes mix it with a real mashed tater and seasonings. Then roll it into balls or patties. Pop it in the air fryer and dip it in a little mustard. Yumser!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby vegman » Mon May 31, 2021 8:49 am

Harmony House dried potatoes contain sodium bisulfite as a preservative. Some people with asthma are highly allergic to sulfites and need to avoid them.

Bob's Red Mill potato flakes contain no preservatives.
vegman

Postby Starchyme » Mon May 31, 2021 10:05 am

Vegman, thanks for cluing me in. I never thought of it. I stay away from additives as much as I possibly can when I purchase foods for home.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Starchyme » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:14 am

Thank you all for telling me about Harmony House. I've been away from the computer and finally getting to view the replies.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning