Great recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Great recipe

Postby SeaGail » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:39 pm

I just tried the White Bean and Vegetable Soup recipe (although I used chickpea pasta instead of whole wheat) and it was SO good. I highly recommend it - and it's pretty darn easy as well.
Gail in WA State

SeaGail

Re: Great recipe

Postby Daydream » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 pm

Thanks for sharing!

I took a look at that recipe and it does sound good. I want to try it. I pasted the recipe below if anyone is interested:

White Bean and Vegetable Soup from Heather McDougall
Prep: 15-20 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
Serves:4-6

This is another great meal because if I don't have one ingredient, I know there's an easy substitute in my fridge. This soup has changed over the years. Below is my current version. I serve this with warm bread and a simple salad or sauteed broccolini with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of sea salt.

4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
2-15 ounce cans white cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
15 ounce can fire roasted red tomatoes
2 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped
1 cup whole wheat small elbow macaroni, uncooked
juice of one lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Add 1/4 cup broth and saute onion and carrot on medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining broth and water to large saucepan. Add beans and tomatoes. Simmer for about 20 minutes. With a bean masher or a hand held blender push through the soup to create a thicker consistency, about 10 mashes or blends. Add pasta, cook for 2 minutes. Add the kale and cook for about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Daydream

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning