Question about stew recipe from old McDougall cookbook

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question about stew recipe from old McDougall cookbook

Postby Treble » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:47 pm

I am looking for info regarding a recipe from one of the older McDougall cookbooks—I think it was the McDougall Health Supporting Cookbook Volume 1 (the small collection with the yellow cover).

The recipe had a simple name, something like “Vegetable Stew #1” or just plain “Vegetable Stew”. I remember it called for potatoes, carrots, onions, green beans, zucchini, and mushrooms. It was baked in two stages in a covered casserole dish in a mixture of 2 1/4 cups tomato juice and 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari; and sprinkled with basil and paprika.

I remember the ingredients and the cooking steps involved. What I’m not sure of are the temperature and cooking times. Was it baked at 425°? Or 375°? Was the first stage of cooking an hour and 15 minutes or just 45 minutes? (I know the 2nd stage was 30 min).

Please help if you own this cookbook! I still own it but thanks to a wildfire in California it is in a storage unit 80 miles from where I now live.
Treble

Re: Question about stew recipe from old McDougall cookbook

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:53 am

You know you're asking for a lot, don't you? LOL

After going through the 2 books page by page, there was no Vegetable Stew in either of them. I checked all the stew and casserole recipes in case it was by a different name.

Then I remembered that The McDougall Plan book has the identical cover to the Health Supporting Cookbooks. The weird thing is, it didn't come up in the PDF file of the book searching for "Vegetable Stew" but it did pop up when I searched for "tomato juice."

Vegetable Stew
SERVINGS: 6-8
PREPARATION TIME: 45 mins.
COOKING TIME: 2 hrs.

5 medium potatoes, cut in large cubes (unpeeled)
1 lb. boiling onions, or 2 round onions cut in wedges
2-3 carrots, cut in 1/2-inch rounds
1/2 lb. mushrooms, cut in half
2 medium zucchini, cut in half, then sliced 1 inch thick
1/2 lb. green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
2 1/2 cups tomato juice mixed with 1/4 cup tamari (salt-reduced)

Place potatoes, onions, carrots, and beans in a large casserole dish. Pour about 2/3 of the tomato juice mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle with a little paprika and basil. Put covered casserole in oven at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours. Remove from oven and add mushrooms, zucchini, and the rest of the tomato juice mixture. Sprinkle a little more paprika and basil on the top. Return to oven for 30 minutes longer.

HELPFUL HINTS: Serve with fresh bread or brown rice. Vegetables may be stirred from time to time during cooking to make sure they are all coated with juice mixture. To make a thicker sauce before serving, remove vegetables to serving bowl. Put liquid in a pan, heat to boiling, and add a small amount of arrowroot and water mixture until desired thickness is obtained (try 3 tbsp. arrowroot or cornstarch in 1/2 cup cold water). Pour over vegetables.

Page 292 The McDougall Plan

My thanks go to the McDougall Program for selling these out of print books in PDF format. Makes it *so* easy to search for things (usually)!
VeggieSue

Postby Treble » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:51 pm

I’m so sorry!! I feel really chagrined! The original book, of course! You’re brilliant to remember the similarity in the covers (which I had completely forgotten) and to search the PDFs using those specific keywords. I had done an advanced search of the forum here using the same keywords, without success.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your time and trouble! You even took the time to post the whole recipe from PDF! I really appreciate it! I’m just starting to gather real cookware again and have been hankering after this stew for weeks. I cannot manage a 160-mile round trip to retrieve my cookbooks right now. I made this stew all the time when I first adopted the program, and it always helps me a lot when I need to reform my diet.

Thanks, again. You’re a gem. Hope the McDougall lifestyle is treating you well.
Treble

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:15 am

Treble wrote:You’re brilliant to remember the similarity in the covers (which I had completely forgotten)

I have them right next to each other on my book shelf so it was an easy think. :)

and to search the PDFs using those specific keywords.

It was driving me crazy, because I remember that a lot of those early recipes has simple names and many had numbers after them. It had to be here somewhere!

I had done an advanced search of the forum here using the same keywords, without success.

Even if someone in the forum posted it in the past, good luck trying to find it! The search on these forums was pretty wonky if you used more than one word *before* the recent "upgrade" (To use the term loosely), but since then many things have been broken, including the search.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your time and trouble!

I enjoyed doing it, so don't worry about it! It's just nice to find people who 1) remember those older books and 2) still uses the old recipes. Have you visited the Store section of this website? Dr. McDougall had recently gotten hold of someone's copy of his original hand-out booklet that he gave his patients in Hawaii, the one he said in the past that Mary had hand-typed, called Making the Change, and is giving it away for free. Those are the original older recipes, for sure!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/product-category/ebooks/

I cannot manage a 160-mile round trip to retrieve my cookbooks right now.

One of the reasons I collected all the McDougall books in digital form as I had the funds. They take up very little space and can be with me everywhere I go. What isn't available in Kindle form Dr. McD sells here on his website in pdf form.

I made this stew all the time when I first adopted the program, and it always helps me a lot when I need to reform my diet.

Roasted veggies are always great. I could never find lower sodium tomato juice or V8, another Mary McD favorite, so never made this one. I'm glad I was able to reunite you with it. :)
VeggieSue

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:59 am

VeggieSue wrote:I could never find lower sodium tomato juice or V8, another Mary McD favorite, so never made this one.

https://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/product ... um-organic

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Treble » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:26 pm

VeggieSue wrote:...the recent "upgrade" (To use the term loosely)

LOL That would be an upgrade in the Microsoft sense of the term.

It's just nice to find people who 1) remember those older books and 2) still uses the old recipes.

Some of the older recipes are the best! I particularly love “Savory Lentils”, flavored with balsamic vinegar (I know that one by heart—it’s delicious, a favorite at potlucks even with carnivores who have never seen a lentil before) and the stew recipe you were so kind to send me (It is a bit salty, as you said—salt is my weakness). Wonderful soup and dessert recipes in those early books, too.

Have you visited the Store section of this website? Dr. McDougall had recently gotten hold of someone's copy of his original hand-out booklet that he gave his patients in Hawaii]

https://www.drmcdougall.com/product-category/ebooks/

Thanks for the link—the Hawaiian days! Someone’s collection goes back even further than mine! There should be some really interesting recipes and ideas there—it’ll be fun to see. (I think Mary deserves a medal for her ingenuity and patience in those early days when she was first grappling with the doctor’s new dietary restrictions.) I’ll be checking out the Kindle versions, also.
Treble

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning