Light sophisticated lunch

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Light sophisticated lunch

Postby KatherineUK » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:37 pm

My bro is coming to lunch with his wife on Sunday, stopping off on his way to Torquay on holiday. They've booked a dinner in a hotel in the evening down on the coast and asked for a light lunch.

Any thoughts ?

Kx
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Re: Light sophisticated lunch

Postby Keepyerplantieson » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:33 am

Hi Katherine,

How about having several tasty salads for them to choose from? This site has some very nice bean salads that are filling and satisfying, and you could add a vegetable salad or even just some raw veggies with a nice hummus or dip. Here's a recipe for a quinoa and chickpea salad that I've been eating a lot this summer. The recipe calls for seasoned rice vinegar, but I didn't want to use that because the seasoned rice vinegar available here has sugar and salt added to it, so I've been substituting Acid League's Meyer Lemon and Honey vinegar, and it makes a very tasty dressing.

As for dessert, what could be better than fresh fruit at this time of year? Whatever looks best in the store is what I'd go with. Of course, if you want to be a bit fancier, you could go with nice cream or one of the fruity desserts on this site - I haven't tried many of them, but I think they're probably all good.

Hope you have a good visit with your brother and his wife!
Keepyerplantieson

Postby Plumerias » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Not sure what a sophisticated light lunch might mean, but some thoughts.....

Gazpacho.
Fruit soup.
Borscht with a nice rye or pumpernickel bread
Middle Eastern mezze, which would leave you with some leftovers for yourself.
Pasta salad with fresh seasonal veggies.
Cold (Thai?) noodle salad and fresh summer rolls.

Have a nice visit with your family.
Plumerias

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:03 am

A late reply thanks for both your suggestions I did combine elements of both in a massive bulgar salad with some exotic stuff like artichokes, made a seeded sourdough too. It was a lovely sunny day so we sat in the garden.

Katherine
X
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning