How to cook dry beans

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to cook dry beans

Postby Alycia 123 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:21 am

How to cook dried chickpeas ?
Do you use a slow cooker, stove top or pressure cooker ?
Alycia 123

Re: How to cook dry beans

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:31 am

In the old days, I cooked them like Mary McDougall shows in this video, in a slow cooker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqYBYhkEbc

and now and then I still do, using this "recipe", also by Mary McDougall:

https://youtu.be/vTNzYRukbc8?t=1371

But to be honest, most of the time now I just use the pressure cooker. I've had one going back to the old stovetop models that you had to babysit as it cooked to make sure the pressure stayed in that sweet spot, but as soon as I saw the first InstantPot electric model advertised I jumped on it, and it's been my most-used kitchen appliance ever! Perfect for any kind, any brand, of bean, from 89 cent grocery store brand ones to $7.99 gourmet brands. But if you *do* cook beans that are fresher, like from Rancho Gordo company, be sure to use their cooking times chart, because these beans will cook up faster than most other brands.

I do love the "set it and forget it" convenience of an electric pressure cooker, especially because it has a timer so you can set it for the time you want cooking to start, and it turns off when done. A Crockpot is convenient, and beans made in one are slightly tastier, but you have to remember to start them many hours before meal time, and unlike the electric pressure cookers, there's no start timer, nor do they switch over to keep-warm mode at the end of cooking time, so if dinner gets delayed, the beans just keep on cooking until you turn the pot off or manually switch it to keep warm, on the models that even have that, resulting in very mushy beans sometimes.

Most electric pressure cookers also have a slow cooker mode, but having the heat coming only from the bottom of the pot instad of all around, and having a stainless steel instead of crockery pot, means they cook differently than a Crockpot slow cooker. I wasn't happy with the results I got in the InstantPot and didn't have the patience to play around with getting the right timing on all my old slow cooker recipes so they worked with the electric PC. If I really want to slow cook, I still have my 40+ year old Crockpot that still does an excellent job. I also have a newer one, the larger one that Mary shows in the second video above, but with just the 2 of us I rarely ever used it.
VeggieSue

Postby Daydream » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:33 am

I use my Instant Pot if I want to cook dried chickpeas. Like VeggieSue, my Instant Pot is my most used appliance. If you buy one, I recommend the 8 quart because certain recipes call for a bigger pot (eg: stews) and you can cook more but always cook less if you want a smaller amount.

I have followed the chart on the Instant Pot website for cooking dried chickpeas and I have also used this method by YouTuber Shayda that also worked out well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyNxjJo ... WithShayda

This is Shayda's recipe below. She said she prefers soaking the beans when making hummus because they tend to be creamier.

Shayda's Recipe for Chickpeas:
Ingredients:
1 pound dried chickpeas
6 cups of water

Preparation:
No soak method:
1- Cover the dried chickpeas with 6 cups of water and close the lid. Make sure to move the steam release valve to sealing.
2-Select the manual button and cook at high pressure for 50 minutes then allow the pressure to come down naturally. You have two options, to let the pressure come down naturally or to release it after 15 minutes. Make sure to open the lid carefully.

Soaked method:
1-Put the dried chickpeas in a large bowl and cover the chickpeas with 3 inches of water and let them soak for about 3-4 hours. Then toss the water out and rinse the chickpeas.
2-Add the soaked chickpeas to the instant pot with 6 cups of water, close the lid and cook at high pressure for 50 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally. Make sure to open the lid carefully.
Daydream

Postby Alycia 123 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:37 pm

Daydream wrote:I use my Instant Pot if I want to cook dried chickpeas. Like VeggieSue, my Instant Pot is my most used appliance. If you buy one, I recommend the 8 quart because certain recipes call for a bigger pot (eg: stews) and you can cook more but always cook less if you want a smaller amount.

I have followed the chart on the Instant Pot website for cooking dried chickpeas and I have also used this method by YouTuber Shayda that also worked out well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyNxjJo ... WithShayda

This is Shayda's recipe below. She said she prefers soaking the beans when making hummus because they tend to be creamier.

Shayda's Recipe for Chickpeas:
Ingredients:
1 pound dried chickpeas
6 cups of water

Preparation:
No soak method:
1- Cover the dried chickpeas with 6 cups of water and close the lid. Make sure to move the steam release valve to sealing.
2-Select the manual button and cook at high pressure for 50 minutes then allow the pressure to come down naturally. You have two options, to let the pressure come down naturally or to release it after 15 minutes. Make sure to open the lid carefully.

Soaked method:
1-Put the dried chickpeas in a large bowl and cover the chickpeas with 3 inches of water and let them soak for about 3-4 hours. Then toss the water out and rinse the chickpeas.
2-Add the soaked chickpeas to the instant pot with 6 cups of water, close the lid and cook at high pressure for 50 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally. Make sure to open the lid carefully.

Thanks so much ❤️ Do soaked chickpeas Also take 50 minutes to cook
Alycia 123

Postby Alycia 123 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Thank you ❤️
Alycia 123

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:17 pm

Just cooked batch of chickpeas today for hummus. (Freeze extra.)

Soak overnight. In morning, rinse and cook in slow cooker-crock pot low heat. Chickpeas take a long time, allow 10-12h.

To make very creamy hummus, I added 1 tsp baking soda to both soaking and cooking. Broke down the beans super soft.

I have cooked beans in normal pot, pressure cooker and slow cooker. I prefer the slow cooker the best. Most like canned beans. Practice all 3 ways and see which one you prefer.
michaelswarm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning