How to cook brown rice

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to cook brown rice

Postby Alycia 123 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:22 am

How to cook brown rice ?
Do you use the stove, a rice cooker or instant pot ?
Alycia 123

Re: How to cook brown rice

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:07 am

I cook mine the Jeff Novick way - in a large pot of water as you would pasta. Boil it for the time written on the package, then drain it in a fine mesh colander. Perfect every time.

(edited to add)
My son prefers to use the Success boil in bags, the kind you just drop in a pot of boiling water and it's ready in 10 minutes. Foolproof and also perfect every time.

Once in a while I do use my rice cooker for things like brown jasmine or brown basmati rices. I found they loose their unique flavors when boiled as above but retain them when cooked in the rice cooker. I use a cheapo Hamilton Beach 4 cup dry/8 cup cooked model. It was the only one I found at the time that didn't spit rice water all over out the vent hole. It's about 15 years old now, and when that finally fails, I have no idea what brand to replace it with.

As for cooking brown rice in the InstantPot - I never had success. I could use rice from the same bag using the same ratio rice to water and the same cooking time and one time it will come out burnt on the bottom and crunchy and the next be soggy. I got tired of wasting rice and time and went back to boiling or rice cooker. Others have better success and no complaints, so you might be one of the the lucky ones.
VeggieSue

Postby Daydream » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:47 am

For several years I used to cook my brown rice like Jeff Novick, boiling it in a large pot of water like pasta but it is more time consuming and I needed to keep watching the pot to make sure it wouldn't boil over so now I cook my Lundberg brown Basmati rice in my Instant Pot because it's so easy and I don't have to wash a colander afterwards.

I usually cook 4 cups of rinsed/drained Lundberg brown Basmati rice with 5 cups of water on High Pressure for 15 minutes.

I set my Instant Pot and walk away--it's so easy and I don't worry about arsenic. To my knowledge, no Asian people have died of arsenic poisoning. I've never had my brown rice burn.
Daydream

Postby MINNIE » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:14 pm

Depends on the quantity. Mostly I use my rice cooker. For a bigger batch might use the Instant Pot. But my rice cooker is so big that isn't usually necessary.

If you like, there's nothing wrong with using quick cooking brown rice. I always have some around for when I am really in a hurry.
MINNIE

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:17 am

I used to use a rice cooker, but now I prefer Jeff's way. I tend to cook rice in small batches. It tastes better to me freshly cooked rather than reheated. It does not take long at all to boil water, add rice and set the timer. It does not boil over so long as you use a large enough pot.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:26 am

In regard to my cooking method…

- once the water boils, you can turn it down a number or two and it will still “boil” but won’t boil over. I cook mine on “10” till it boils then turn it down to about 7-8 and it still boils and never runs over.

Daydream wrote:I usually cook 4 cups of rinsed/drained Lundberg brown Basmati rice.

Just curious, how do you rinse and drain the rice?

Thanks
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Daydream » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:25 am

JeffN wrote:Just curious, how do you rinse and drain the rice?

Thanks
Jeff

On Amazon, I bought an "OXO Good Grips Rice & Small Grains Washing Colander" for $12.99. It works great for rinsing and draining the rice. I just use water to rinse the colander out when I'm done. I don't have to use soap to scrub the colander because the rice isn't cooked when I rinse it so it doesn't leave sticky residue.
Daydream

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:39 am

Daydream wrote:
JeffN wrote:Just curious, how do you rinse and drain the rice?

Thanks
Jeff

On Amazon, I bought an "OXO Good Grips Rice & Small Grains Washing Colander" for $12.99. It works great for rinsing and draining the rice. I just use water to rinse the colander out when I'm done. I don't have to use soap to scrub the colander because the rice isn't cooked when I rinse it so it doesn't leave sticky residue.

Interesting.

I never use a colander. Here is a little trick, works for beans, rice, pasta, etc

When the time is up, I put the pot in the sink and run cold water in at at a low to med force letting the water overflow. Only the excess water (without the beans, rice, pasta etc) overflows. This cools the overall water down and beings to rinse the grain and residue away. Then I slowly drain the water by tipping the pot about 1/2-3/4's of the way. I get about 90-95% of the water out. Then I refill it with cold water, swirl it around and repeat. It can take 2-3x time but when done, the water Is clear, the rice is completely rinsed, the pot is basically clean without any residue (from the rinses) and no colander needed.

It probably sounds more complicated then it is but I just did it with beans and to me, it seems quicker then using a colander and less to clean/rinse when done. If I made video's, I would make one of it so you could see how easy it is. :) There are also some "draining lids" you can buy for your pot which will allow you to do the same thing and drain/rinse 100% of the water.

https://www.amazon.com/Strainer-Spaghet ... ref=sr_1_4

We have this pot that came with one. When done, no residue left.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-L ... t/42608147

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Daydream » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:13 am

JeffN wrote:I never use a colander. Here is a little trick, works for beans, rice, pasta, etc

When the time is up, I put the pot in the sink and run cold water in at at a low to med force letting the water overflow. Only the excess water (without the beans, rice, pasta etc) overflows. This cools the overall water down and beings to rinse the grain and residue away. Then I slowly drain the water by tipping the pot about 1/2-3/4's of the way. I get about 90-95% of the water out. Then I refill it with cold water, swirl it around and repeat. It can take 2-3x time but when done, the water Is clear, the rice is completely rinsed, the pot is basically clean without any residue (from the rinses) and no colander needed.

In Health
Jeff

Jeff, thank you for sharing that! That does sound easy. I like the stainless steel pot at Walmart that you gave a link to above. I added it to my Walmart wishlist!

I know this is weird but I love drinking the bean broth when I cook dried beans so I need to wash the dried beans before I cook them. I make sure I add a lot of excess water to dried beans so I can drink several cups of the bean broth plain with nothing added. :)
Daydream

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:01 am

Daydream wrote:
JeffN wrote:I never use a colander. Here is a little trick, works for beans, rice, pasta, etc

When the time is up, I put the pot in the sink and run cold water in it, at a low to med force letting the water sloverflow. Only the excess water (without the beans, rice, pasta etc) overflows. This cools the overall water down and beings to rinse the grain and residue away. Then I slowly drain the water by tipping the pot about 1/2-3/4's of the way. I get about 90-95% of the water out. Then I refill it with cold water, swirl it around and repeat. It can take 2-3x time but when done, the water Is clear, the rice is completely rinsed, the pot is basically clean without any residue (from the rinses) and no colander needed.

In Health
Jeff

Jeff, thank you for sharing that! That does sound easy. I like the stainless steel pot at Walmart that you gave a link to above. I added it to my Walmart wishlist!

I know this is weird but I love drinking the bean broth when I cook dried beans so I need to wash the dried beans before I cook them. I make sure I add a lot of excess water to dried beans so I can drink several cups of the bean broth plain with nothing added. :)

Doug says the three main issues driving us are pleasure seeking, pain avoidance and energy conservation (laziness). I'm the ultimate lazy person so if there is a way to figure out how to do something easier, simpler, faster, quicker (and more efficient), I will!

Jeff
JeffN

Postby Daydream » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:10 am

JeffN wrote:Doug says the three main issues driving us are pleasure seeking, pain avoidance and energy conservation (laziness). I'm the ultimate lazy person so if there is a way to figure out how to do something easier, simpler, faster, quicker (and more efficient), I will!

Jeff

I'm a lazy person too so I love and appreciate all your tips and tricks!
Daydream

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:39 pm

SOAK BROWN RICE
The bran of brown rice slows down absorption of water.
Starch needs heat AND WATER to cook.

Soaking rice allows the water to penetrate the starchy interior. This allows for faster and better cooking,
For the best results, soak brown rice in cold water 2h, or soak in warm water 1h.

This is enough time to bring rice from dry (10-12% moisture) to wet (30-35% moisture of original paddy rice).
If in rush, you can buy instant brown rice, or warm up leftover rice.

You can cook rice multiple ways:
1. boil (pasta method)
2. steam (measure water, tight fitting lid)
3. rice cooker (measure water, tight fitting lid, really just steam, but with sensor to turn off heat when water gone.)
4. pilaf (toast rice first, soak and boil-steam in stock)

Try all of them. Most of the time I use a rice cooker. However, for more work, pilafs are nice.
You can even toast brown rice to make rice tea. (Toast rice just like you make old fashioned pop corn on stove.)
michaelswarm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning