Best instant pot recipes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Best instant pot recipes

Postby Alycia 123 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:25 am

Best instant pot bean recipes?
Alycia 123

Re: Best instant pot recipes

Postby Alycia 123 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:07 am

Do you have any tips on modifying the recipes on the mcdougal website to the instant pot
Alycia 123

Postby MINNIE » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:36 am

If you check the cooking times for various foods, which is in the Instant Pot manual and on their website, you can look up whatever ingredients you are using and work out the correct cooking time. Otherwise, it's just not a big deal.IMO

That's pretty much all I do.
MINNIE

Postby Alycia 123 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:04 pm

MINNIE wrote:If you check the cooking times for various foods, which is in the Instant Pot manual and on their website, you can look up whatever ingredients you are using and work out the correct cooking time. Otherwise, it's just not a big deal.IMO

That's pretty much all I do.

Thank you. is the amount of water used in the instant pot the same as the amount used on the stove or crock pot?
Sorry I haven’t received my instant pot. Hopefully it will come with the amount of water needed to cook
Alycia 123

Postby MINNIE » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:15 pm

The amount of water kind of depends on what you are doing.

For some things, the manual gives you a specific water ratio for a specific food. Mostly this applies to grains. This is very helpful, as you can save some trial and error.

For other things, like soups or stews or steaming,you can just use your judgement. The pot is sealed while cooking, so not much moisture can get out. Whatever amount of water you would use on a stove top is probably going to work.

Since I eat lots of rice (and other grains) and beans, one thing I have learned is that with larger, longer cooking beans, beans its best to cook them separately. Trying to figure cooking times and water ratios to get dry beans and rice to be fully cooked at the same time is too complicated for me to bother with. Of course, you can use canned beans and then there is no problem.

Usually I make a big batch of beans and have enough for several days. I cook the grains with whatever flavoring ingredients are required, and add the precooked or canned beans when it's time to eat.I'm sure other people have other methods. There is really not one correct way to cook, so don't worry too much.

This doesn't have to be complicated. But if it all sounds like a hassle, that's why we have canned beans, frozen vegetables and instant rice :).

You can be healthy and happy just eating those items, and you don't need any extra gadgetry to do it.The main thing is to get real food in your stomach, whichever way works best for you.
MINNIE

Postby Alycia 123 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:17 am

MINNIE wrote:The amount of water kind of depends on what you are doing.

For some things, the manual gives you a specific water ratio for a specific food. Mostly this applies to grains. This is very helpful, as you can save some trial and error.

For other things, like soups or stews or steaming,you can just use your judgement. The pot is sealed while cooking, so not much moisture can get out. Whatever amount of water you would use on a stove top is probably going to work.

Since I eat lots of rice (and other grains) and beans, one thing I have learned is that with larger, longer cooking beans, beans its best to cook them separately. Trying to figure cooking times and water ratios to get dry beans and rice to be fully cooked at the same time is too complicated for me to bother with. Of course, you can use canned beans and then there is no problem.

Usually I make a big batch of beans and have enough for several days. I cook the grains with whatever flavoring ingredients are required, and add the precooked or canned beans when it's time to eat.I'm sure other people have other methods. There is really not one correct way to cook, so don't worry too much.

This doesn't have to be complicated. But if it all sounds like a hassle, that's why we have canned beans, frozen vegetables and instant rice :).

You can be healthy and happy just eating those items, and you don't need any extra gadgetry to do it.The main thing is to get real food in your stomach, whichever way works best for you.

Thank you for your help. I am guessing you eat very simply ? That’s awesome
Alycia 123

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning