Favourite salt free dishes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Favourite salt free dishes

Postby Alycia 123 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:17 pm

Hey,

What are your favourite salt free dishes ?
Alycia 123

Re: Favourite salt free dishes

Postby Alycia 123 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:29 pm

Favourite salt free spices and sauces ?
Alycia 123

Postby Daydream » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:58 am

I have learned to love the taste of whole natural foods without any seasonings or sauces so that's how I eat my food most of the time.

Benson's Table Tasty (it can be bought on Amazon or at Benson's Gourmet Seasonings. I don't like their other salt-free seasonings though--I only like their Table Tasty:

http://www.bensonsgourmetseasonings.com/product/103-02

Well Your World has salt-free seasonings and sauces. I like their ketchup and BBQ Sauce:

https://wellyourworld.com/collections/all
Daydream

Postby MINNIE » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:11 am

All of them!

Limited salt is allowed in the McDougall plan. It's possibly OK for people who can consume salt in moderation. I can't. So I decided to not use it at all.

Now that I'm used to the taste of unsalted food I really like it.

The secret to salt-free cooking? Just cook whatever you want and don't put in salt :).

To avoid hidden salt in seasonings, I am careful to read the labels. Lots of good stuff out there, and you can always make your own spice mixes, so you control what goes into them.
MINNIE

Postby JeffN » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:40 am

MINNIE wrote:

All of them!

Limited salt is allowed in the McDougall plan. It's possibly OK for people who can consume salt in moderation. I can't. So I decided to not use it at all.

The secret to salt-free cooking? Just cook whatever you want and don't put in salt :).

To avoid hidden salt in seasonings, I am careful to read the labels. Lots of good stuff out there, and you can always make your own spice mixes, so you control what goes into them.

Exactly.

I understand that when people first come to this and/or perhaps come back to this it can seem overwhelming. I get it.

That is why keeping things simple is the ultimate answer/solution and message for success. I also get that some people are successful and keep it complicated. But, after over 35 years of doing this professionally, I can tell you without a doubt, that they are the exception.

It is also important to not make this more complicated in anyway, especially in ways not proven to be of benefit to your success. We are not a no salt program. For some, that is their preference. It not just "possibly" OK to consume some salt with the program, it is OK to do so.

Realize, for others, trying to give up salt when they don't have to could be the thing that trips them up, as it often makes the program more difficult and in the end, they throw their hands up saying, it's too hard. Yet, we never asked you to do that. We see more of this scenario that you would think. Dr Lisle's how talk on the ego trap is based on this.

But if salt free is what you are looking for, my answer is the same as above. Take your favorite McDougall or other WFPB/Vegan recipes that meet our guidelines and buy the ingredients for it that are no salt added and don't add any during the preparation or at the table. DONE! "Your" favorite recipe is now your favorite salt-free recipe. You can't beat that. :)

Make your favorite starch(es) the center of your plate, 50-90% by visual volume. Make the rest of the plate (10-50% by visual volume) your favorite non-starchy vegetables and/or fruits. If you want, choose an approved sauce, spice or seasoning. Done. Repeat. Add some variety if desired.

And most of all, don't complicate it.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Alycia 123 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:15 am

MINNIE wrote:

All of them!

Thank you so much
Alycia 123

Postby Alycia 123 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:19 am

JeffN wrote:
MINNIE wrote:

All of them!

Exactly.

I understand that when people first come to this and/or perhaps come back to this it can seem overwhelming. I get it.

That is why keeping things simple is the ultimate answer/solution and message for success. I also get that some people are successful and keep it complicated. But, after over 35 years of doing this professionally, I can tell you without a doubt, that they are the exception.

It is also important to not make this more complicated in anyway, especially in ways not proven to be of benefit to your success. We are not a no salt program. For some, that is their preference. It not just "possibly" OK to consume some salt with the program, it is OK to do so.

Realize, for others, trying to give up salt when they don't have to could be the thing that trips them up, as it often makes the program more difficult and in the end, they throw their hands up saying, it's too hard. Yet, we never asked you to do that. We see more of this scenario that you would think. Dr Lisle's how talk on the ego trap is based on this.

But if salt free is what you are looking for, my answer is the same as above. Take your favorite McDougall or other WFPB/Vegan recipes that meet our guidelines and buy the ingredients for it that are no salt added and don't add any during the preparation or at the table. DONE! "Your" favorite recipe is now your favorite salt-free recipe. You can't beat that. :)

Make your favorite starch(es) the center of your plate, 50-90% by visual volume. Make the rest of the plate (10-50% by visual volume) your favorite non-starchy vegetables and/or fruits. If you want, choose an approved sauce, spice or seasoning. Done. Repeat. Add some variety if desired.

And most of all, don't complicate it.

In Health
Jeff

Thanks A lot Jeff . How many different meals do most people have in a week. I tend to over complicate things... I’ll try to keep it simple
Alycia 123

Postby Alycia 123 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:20 am

Daydream wrote:I have learned to love the taste of whole natural foods without any seasonings or sauces so that's how I eat my food most of the time.

Benson's Table Tasty (it can be bought on Amazon or at Benson's Gourmet Seasonings. I don't like their other salt-free seasonings though--I only like their Table Tasty:

http://www.bensonsgourmetseasonings.com/product/103-02

Well Your World has salt-free seasonings and sauces. I like their ketchup and BBQ Sauce:

https://wellyourworld.com/collections/all

Thanks day dream
Alycia 123

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning