Can 'overnight oats' be my starch of choice?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can 'overnight oats' be my starch of choice?

Postby MyGuitarGentlyBeeps » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:15 pm

Hello everyone, for various reasons I am thinking of making these my main starch, with 2-3tsp of a brown sugar (which I prefer taste-wise to whire sugars). I know our starches are meant to be cooked, is the heating of the oats as part of their preparation for sale 'emough'?

(As a side note, for my veggies I will be having a 2-3 cups of frozen greens then the oats after as a sort of dessert, as my main meal. I know it's not much but my appetite is a bit poor at the moment.)
MyGuitarGentlyBeeps

Re: Can 'overnight oats' be my starch of choice?

Postby MyGuitarGentlyBeeps » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:30 pm

Moderators - I see that this has been moved to 'How To begin' and, I undertstand that it is a Q that beginners may find helpful and may ask, but I have been doing this WOE for nearly 19 years! :D :D :D
MyGuitarGentlyBeeps

Postby michaelswarm » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:15 pm

Don’t see why not. Rolled oats are steamed during processing.
Many cultures focused on just one or two main agricultures: wheat and barley, rice, corn, etc.
Since you say main starch, I assume there is still variety of other starches, as well as fruits and vegetables.

Just curious, why oats, and does that mean overnight oats for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

I love oats. My go to breakfast is porridge. My pancakes are oat pancakes. Oat flour goes into my burgers and meatballs. It also goes into deserts. Our house uses 4-6 lbs per week. But this sounds like a whole different level.
michaelswarm

Postby MyGuitarGentlyBeeps » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:26 pm

Thanks Michael I shall try to explain my thinking, it may be a bit waffly so apologies for that!

The main reason is psychological. I know we don't count calories here and we eat until sated but I binge eat with poor impulse control around food and drink (I was an alcoholic for 7 years and it's the same sort of impulse behind both). If I ate as much as I wanted I wouldn't lose weight. I have got to the stage where I need to do that for health reasons because I won't be able to get away with it for ever and I am no spring chicken. (An added reason is because covid seems to affect overweight people more so I want to get leaner).

So I have been limiting myself to around 2200 cals a day with frozen veg, pasta and rice. I have lost about 10kg since April and that suits me, I want slower loss so I minimise the risk of loose skin.

However, I have become so fed-up of pasta and veg that I am in danger of massively undereating, meaning loss will be too rapid for my liking. I *really* like overnight oats and so eating that number of calories to enable a slow loss won't be a problem as I could eat it until it comes out of my ears.

In addition I need very cheap food at the moment as my finances are dire. Cheap pasta & frozen veg, now oatmeal, fit the bill. I am a somewhat eccentric, dare I say basic, man. I like to keep things simple. :lol:

Oatmeal will be the only starch source for the time being.

I won't be eating fruits but I will be eating a kilo(!) of frozen veg a day (made up of carrots, cauli, broccoli and peas) followed by the oats as a nice, appetising dessert to look forward to.
MyGuitarGentlyBeeps

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:41 pm

I am sure you have heard of Andrew "SpudFit" Taylor. He at only potatoes for one year.
Also sure you know with grains like oats, you can't just eat grains, but must also eat vegetables or fruits for complete nutrition.
Rapid weight loss also increases risk for gall bladder stones. Better slow and steady.
I also think movement and resistance training important for muscle and skin issues.
You know your own psychology better than anyone.
Luckily for us, humans perform best on a diet of abundant, and cheap, starches and vegetables.
Keep us posted on your progress.
michaelswarm

Postby MyGuitarGentlyBeeps » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:39 pm

Hello Michael, I have indeed heard of him, I watched a video presentation he did, some time last year, a very interesting story. If and until I can afford fruit it will be the oats and vegetables for now but I will definitely eat one fruit a day in future.

Thanks again for all your advice 8)
MyGuitarGentlyBeeps

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning