low sodium "salt"

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

low sodium "salt"

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:11 pm

I don't normally plug products, but I have to eat a liquid /soft food diet for a few days after getting my last wisdom tooth pulled. I've been making mashed potato flakes (just potato, nothing else) with water enough to make them thin (think smooth applesauce). I added some of this spice: https://www.jadabrands.com/products/veg ... ium-flavor and it really made them taste great! I did add a little more salt because I don't need to limit, but if I were doing low sodium all the time I don't think I would have needed extra. Meat-eating hubs says it doesn't taste like chicken (the spice) but it is similar to many commercial salt-laden, sometimes oil-laden, vegan, chicken seasonings.
ch47gunnergirl

Re: low sodium "salt"

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:09 am

deleted
Last edited by VeggieSue on Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
VeggieSue

Re: low sodium "salt"

Postby JeffN » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:28 am

VeggieSue wrote: Jeff Novick, his dietitian, calls for no added salt in packaged products and allows an item if the natural sodium is equal to or less than the calories per serving, slightly higher in condiments like ketchup and mustard. .

Where did you get this “no added salt” from?

That is not my guideline.

My guidelines, which are the same as the McDougall Program allow for the use of added salt and sugar at the table. Best to add it at the table to taste then to add it in while cooking.

As the majority of the excess salt comes from packaged products, we limit the amount of added salt in packaged products. we do this by using my guidelines which allow the amount of sodium on the label per serving in mg to be no more then the calories per serving. For condiments, we allow a lee-way but remember it is a condiment.

Here they are based on the new label

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 6&#p609996

And here is the original

The problem with the product above is it is still salt, with some spices as you said, So, the amount of salt per teaspoon is lower but you still have to be careful.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning