REVIEW: QUICK COOKING STEEL CUT OATS

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

REVIEW: QUICK COOKING STEEL CUT OATS

Postby MINNIE » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:21 pm

This is probably only of interest for other oat enthusiasts. But if you want to try steel-cut oats but don't want the longish cooking time, these may be worth a try.

I bought three different brands (I did say I'm an oat enthusiast) and thought they were all pretty good.

I tried: Trader Joe's, McCann's Irish Oats, and regular old Quaker oats. They all cook in the microwave in in 3-5 minutes, or on the stove in about 10 minutes.

They all tasted good to me, and seemed just as filling and satiating as the long-cooking steel cut oats.Of course, YMMV.

McCann's was more expensive, and had slightly smaller particles of oats. Trader Joe and Quaker were about the same price. Otherwise, they didn't seem different in quality, so there isn't any reason to spend more for McCann's.

I have an Instant Pot, so most of the time I don't really need quick-cooking steel cut oats. But they are convenient if you are in a hurry, only have a stove top, or are traveling and have only basic cooking facilities.

(If you are going to use the microwave, be sue to heed the instructions to use a DEEP enough container, and don't cover it. You really don't want be cleaning sticky oats off the walls of the microwave oven LOL.)
MINNIE

Re: REVIEW: QUICK COOKING STEEL CUT OATS

Postby Daydream » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Minnie, thank you for telling us about quick cooking steel cut oats. I have not tried them yet but it's good to know that an oat lover enjoys them.
Daydream

Postby Vegankit » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:13 pm

Thank you for your detailed review. I batch cook oats in the instant pot and cut it into single servings to reheat for breakfast. But as you point out there are atypical situations where quick cooking steel cut oats would be handy to have. I personally can't stand the instant oatmeal - way to mushy.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:06 am

MINNIE wrote:I tried: Trader Joe's, McCann's Irish Oats, and regular old Quaker oats. They all cook in the microwave in in 3-5 minutes, or on the stove in about 10 minutes.

Instead of Trader Joe's I bought Bob's Red Mill.

They all tasted good to me, and seemed just as filling and satiating as the long-cooking steel cut oats.

The McCann's tasted a wee bit oatier, but certainly not enough to justify the price.

I have an Instant Pot, so most of the time I don't really need quick-cooking steel cut oats.

When you consider the time it takes for the pot to first reach the pressure and then cook, microwaving is quicker.

But they are convenient if you are in a hurry, only have a stove top, or are traveling and have only basic cooking facilities.

I've read where people have even used their rice cooker for set-it-and-forget-it cooking, too.

(If you are going to use the microwave, be sue to heed the instructions to use a DEEP enough container, and don't cover it. You really don't want be cleaning sticky oats off the walls of the microwave oven LOL.)

I have a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup I use for almost all my microwave cooking. I also have an 8 cup one I use when nuking 2+ pounds of veggies or more than one serving of oats. Like Vegankit, I sometimes like to make more than one serving in the Instantpot to spread out in a container and cut into servings for busy mornings, but prefer to make fresh daily. Even using that 4 cupper for one serving, if I add too much fruit it may boil over in the microwave so I keep one of those round silicone mats on the microwave turntable at all times. That thing cleans up like a breeze!

Here's the style mat I use, but Amazon has a number of them. I got mine in Bed, Bath, Beyond ages ago.
https://smile.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose- ... op?ie=UTF8
VeggieSue

Postby Keepyerplantieson » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:54 am

My set of dishes came with wide, shallow soup bowls. One of these is perfect for cooking a serving of oats in the microwave. Half cup of oats, generic variety from the grocery store. I did try other dishes and bowls but this one works best for me. The key to it not boiling over is the wide surface area. Once it's cooked, I stir in a grated apple or a chopped pear for sweetness, and breakfast is served! Best part is, only my bowl to clean up.
Keepyerplantieson

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning