Any issues or concerns with daily bread?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Any issues or concerns with daily bread?

Postby spirilis » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:59 pm

I received a free bread maker from a neighbor, and since then I've gone nuts trying all the recipes the machine has to offer. Although one issue I can see is all the recipes involve some kind of butter or oil, so I may need to experiment reducing and eventually eliminating that.

In any case, I've really come to terms with the fact that Bread has always been my comfort food - I ate tons of it as a kid (& was quite overweight but I'm not convinced the bread was the cause here) and it feels like I have very little "off switch". Rice is easier for me to control and I have been eating lots of it since starting the high-starch diet. So long as one controls the ingredients and knows what's in it, are there any health-related concerns one would have with eating over half their calories as homemade bread?

I have a feeling this is just the "honeymoon" period I'm having with my new gadget but man is it satisfying to eat a lot of bread again.
spirilis

Re: Any issues or concerns with daily bread?

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:18 pm

Skip any butters or oils. Start with straight doughs. See how that works. Bread has high calorie density (~1200 calories/lb) compared to whole grains, beans and tubers (~600 calories/lb). That means you might be prone to over eat, especially if you are sedentary. You might be able to balance by eating 50% of plate with low calorie density vegetables (~100 calories/lb). That would make you average calorie density 650 calories/lb.

- Everyone looses weight below 400 calories / lb
- Most people sustain at 400 - 600 calories / lb. Difference is moderate exercise.
- Above 1,000 calories / lb everyone gains weigh except elite athletes.

If you have not seen Jeff Novick RD’s presentation on calorie density, you might find it here somewhere.
Jeff Novick at FOK:
https://www.forksoverknives.com/wellnes ... #gs.02ulhw

I bake bread twice a week. Once a whole wheat bread loaf, the other whole wheat pizza dough. The loaf gives us slices for toast throughout the week. I’ve got kids ages 5, 7 and 8. For growing kids the higher calorie density is a benefit. They also get corn tortillas and baked corn crackers, also high energy foods. We also eat plenty of brown rice, oats, beans and potatoes. Balanced with plenty of vegetable soups and sauces. Kids are healthy, my weight is steady.
michaelswarm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning