oatmeal muffins for MWL program

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

oatmeal muffins for MWL program

Postby Sardel » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:00 pm

Hi, I really like oat the muffins from the New McDougall Cookbook (p.112), and have made these recipes many times over the years, and tweaked them as I've gone along. Now I'm in the MWL online community, and I've tweaked the recipe again to make it more MWL compatible. Does the following meet the MWL guidelines? It seems to me it does.

4 cups of quick oats, or regular rolled oats
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups ripe mashed banana. Add applesauce to equal 2 cups if you run out of bananas
1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice.

These are delicious!!
Sardel

Re: oatmeal muffins for MWL program

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:55 pm

Sardel wrote:Hi, I really like oat the muffins from the New McDougall Cookbook (p.112), and have made these recipes many times over the years, and tweaked them as I've gone along. Now I'm in the MWL online community, and I've tweaked the recipe again to make it more MWL compatible. Does the following meet the MWL guidelines? It seems to me it does.

4 cups of quick oats, or regular rolled oats
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups ripe mashed banana. Add applesauce to equal 2 cups if you run out of bananas
1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice.

These are delicious!!

The above recipe does not pass the MWL guidelines for 2 reasons.

1) The apple juice as liquid calories are not recommended.

2) the oats are dried and have a calorie density over 1700 calories/lb. When we cook them into oatmeal, each cup of dry oats is cooked with 2 cups of water which lowers the calorie density to around 325 calorie/lb. So, for the 4 cups of oats (regular or quick) in the recipe, it would also need to include 8 cups of water.

I have never met a muffin that is MWL approved. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning