Golden Curry Sauce

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Golden Curry Sauce

Postby DenverGuy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:22 pm

I would love to find a golden curry that doesn't have coconut milk in it. Does anyone know of a brand or a recipe? I haven't been able to find anything.
DenverGuy

Re: Golden Curry Sauce

Postby Vegankit » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:07 pm

I’m not sure what “golden curry sauce” is. I’m assuming you are referring to Karei Raisu also known as Japanese style curry?

I had posted a recipe variation of a recipe from an old newsletter. I have Miyoko Schinner‘s cook book with this recipe. It’s delicious and reminds me of Japanese curry I had eaten in restaurants.

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... ry#p423785
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Trinity » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:49 pm

You could just use some coconut extract and your choice of plant milk, like in the Starch Solution recipe for Thai Green Curry Rice.
Trinity

Postby DenverGuy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:29 pm

Thanks. Golden curry seems to be pretty popular. It's made with curry, turmeric, etc. Yes, I think it is Japanese.
I was thinking it would be good on potatoes. I would love find a good sauce of some kind.
I appreciate the info.
This looks good:
https://monsonmadethis.com/easy-vegan-golden-curry/
DenverGuy

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:14 pm

Made this recipe today. Without any coconut. Tasted pretty good. Can probably make even better with practice. I used spice labeled “curry powder”, that is sold in US grocery stores. Uses typical Indian curry spices. Used a not chicken bullion powder from Swich (online plant based cooking course). I blended the sautéed onion, garlic, ginger, chili, then added corn starch slurry. Served with brown rice and roasted potatoes. (Don’t have any tofu at the moment.) Squeeze of lime juice and chopped green onion. Might be different-better with Thai yellow curry powder, and maybe dry coconut or coconut essence as mentioned previously.

Thanks for the recipe link. Looks like a Thai curry to me.

Been experimenting with yellow curries lately using mix of onion garlic-ginger paste and store bought curry spice. (Previously made my own garam masala.)
michaelswarm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning