Help! Need a nut free coeliac compliant quick dessert recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Help! Need a nut free coeliac compliant quick dessert recipe

Postby KatherineUK » Wed May 18, 2022 5:47 am

Any ideas?
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Re: Help! Need a nut free coeliac compliant quick dessert re

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed May 18, 2022 11:07 am

That's easy: Banana "nice cream".

Freeze some VERY RIPE banana--it helps to slice it before you freeze. When you are ready to make the nice cream, put the frozen banana slices into a food processor and add a tablespoon or more of unsweetened cocoa. Do not add liquid. Process the mixture. It will first become sort of crumbly, then it will eventually turn smooth with the texture of really good premium grade ice cream.

Variation:
Process the banana and add some lime juice and lime zest. Serve a scoop in half a papaya. This is especially nice after an Asian style dinner.

You can use your imagination to create other flavors. Eat it just after you make it. It does not store well.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby KatherineUK » Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:That's easy: Banana "nice cream".

Freeze some VERY RIPE banana--it helps to slice it before you freeze. When you are ready to make the nice cream, put the frozen banana slices into a food processor and add a tablespoon or more of unsweetened cocoa. Do not add liquid. Process the mixture. It will first become sort of crumbly, then it will eventually turn smooth with the texture of really good premium grade ice cream.

Variation:
Process the banana and add some lime juice and lime zest. Serve a scoop in half a papaya. This is especially nice after an Asian style dinner.

You can use your imagination to create other flavors. Eat it just after you make it. It does not store well.

Sounds super yummy :-)
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

KatherineUK

Postby vegman » Sat May 21, 2022 6:48 am

My go-to dessert is a mix of frozen fruit, such as cherries, peaches, and strawberries, microwaved until well cooked. Sometimes I use fresh fruit such as apples and pears, which is more work to prepare.
vegman

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:24 am

Has anyone experimented making chia puddings??

Kx

KatherineUK

Postby Ejeff » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:08 am

I recently made a chia pudding that had orange juice and pineapple. It was just okay. The texture is a bit slimy. I have made chocolate pudding from sweet potatoes and I would say it’s much nicer on the palate.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:33 am

thanks to all - any more suggestions gratefully received Kx

KatherineUK

Postby Keepyerplantieson » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:47 pm

KatherineUK wrote:Has anyone experimented making chia puddings??

Kx

Here's a link to a pumpkin chia pudding recipe that I like: https://veganyackattack.com/2012/10/16/ ... on-104-jtr

I've made it several times. It has a similar taste to pumpkin pie, which I've always loved.
Keepyerplantieson

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:44 pm

Here's one from Susan Voisin that was great (small caveat, I did not use her crust recipe, and what I used was not a compliant crust) https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/calamondin-or-lemon-pie-with-oatmeal.html . I made the lemon version and it was a hit. If you use gluten-free oats and sorghum it should be coeliac compliant. If you need a sugar-free version you could probably substitute brown monk fruit sweetener https://www.lakanto.com/products/brown-sugar-replacement one-for-one with no issues. But many other desserts on FFV might also fit the bill (as I'm eyeing the pineapple sorbet recipe ;-) .
ch47gunnergirl

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:22 am

ch47gunnergirl wrote:Here's one from Susan Voisin that was great (small caveat, I did not use her crust recipe, and what I used was not a compliant crust) https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/calamondin-or-lemon-pie-with-oatmeal.html . I made the lemon version and it was a hit. If you use gluten-free oats and sorghum it should be coeliac compliant. If you need a sugar-free version you could probably substitute brown monk fruit sweetener https://www.lakanto.com/products/brown-sugar-replacement one-for-one with no issues. But many other desserts on FFV might also fit the bill (as I'm eyeing the pineapple sorbet recipe ;-) .

Lovely xx

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:23 am

ch47gunnergirl wrote:Here's one from Susan Voisin that was great (small caveat, I did not use her crust recipe, and what I used was not a compliant crust) https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/calamondin-or-lemon-pie-with-oatmeal.html . I made the lemon version and it was a hit. If you use gluten-free oats and sorghum it should be coeliac compliant. If you need a sugar-free version you could probably substitute brown monk fruit sweetener https://www.lakanto.com/products/brown-sugar-replacement one-for-one with no issues. But many other desserts on FFV might also fit the bill (as I'm eyeing the pineapple sorbet recipe ;-) .

yummy xx

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:24 am

Keepyerplantieson wrote:
KatherineUK wrote:Has anyone experimented making chia puddings??

Kx

Here's a link to a pumpkin chia pudding recipe that I like: https://veganyackattack.com/2012/10/16/ ... on-104-jtr

I've made it several times. It has a similar taste to pumpkin pie, which I've always loved.

Many thanks :-) Kx

KatherineUK

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning