Way too many zucchini, help with recipes please

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Way too many zucchini, help with recipes please

Postby kimba » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:06 pm

My garden is just spitting out so many zucchinis. Been waiting for my plants to produce and they certainly are. What do you do with all your zucchini? Need some ideas, recipes if you can help.

Thanks so much.

kimba
kimba

Re: Way too many zucchini, help with recipes please

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:10 am

Have you searched on the Recipes section of this website? Loads of recipes that use zucchini:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/?s=zucchini ... ype=recipe

Also, Jane & Ann Esselstyn have 2 recipes where zucchini is prominent:

Frying Zucchini Slabs
https://youtu.be/vDTJrVSsXNQ

and Zucchini Bread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtqu-dUvwc
VeggieSue

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:31 pm

I like to lightly steam and then oven roast them.
A large pot full of zucchini turns into just a bowl of roasted zucchini.
This really reduces and concentrates the flavor.
I then eat them without additional spice or seasoning of any kind.
michaelswarm

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:54 am

Only for special occasions because of the tofu and tahini - delicious though. Doesn't need spray if you have silicone. Don't skimp on the oregano - I like this with marjoram instead of oregano:

Vegan Zucchini Frittata

Author: Susan Voisin
Ingredients

2 shallots minced
1/2 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu not silken, coarsely crumbled
1 pinch black salt (kala namak) optional
sprinkle of salt and pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano packed, or 1 tsp. dried
1 medium zucchini about 10-12 ounces, shredded
1 12.3-ounce package lite firm or extra-firm silken tofu drained
1/4 cup water or non-dairy milk
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon tahini
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoon salt
generous grating of black pepper
1 pinch black salt optional

Instructions
Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit an 8- or 9-inch pie pan. Spray pan with non-stick spray and place parchment in bottom. (Spray helps keep sides from sticking; skip this step at your own risk.)
Preheat oven to 400.
Heat a non-stick skillet. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften but not brown. Add the crumbled tofu, black salt, and a sprinkle of salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tofu begins to brown in places. Add oregano and zucchini and continue to cook until zucchini softens, about 5 minutes.
While the zucchini cooks, blend all remaining ingredients well in a blender. When zucchini has softened, remove the skillet from the heat and pour in the contents of the blender. Quickly stir well and pour into the prepared pie pan. Be sure to scrape out any tofu that becomes stuck to the skillet. Smooth the top and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until center is set and top is not yet browned.
Loosen the frittata around the edges. Place a serving plate on top of the pie pan, and using pot holders, carefully invert the pan so that the frittata falls onto the plate. Slowly peel off the parchment paper from the top. (Use a knife to scrape off any tofu the clings to the paper as you pull it away.) Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature.

Notes
You can use any vegetable you like instead of zucchini; just chop, slice, or shred it small and cook it along with the regular tofu. Some longer-cooking veggies, like broccoli, can be steamed separately and then folded into the tofu. Just make sure that the vegetables are fairly dry because any extra moisture may prevent the frittata from setting properly.
Each serving is 1 Smart Point on Weight Watchers' Freestyle program.
Nutrition
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 11.4g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 468mg | Fiber: 1.7g
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby pattinput » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:18 pm

I sauteed a red bell pepper, 2 medium zucchini and some onion, added to about a cup and a half leftover lentil soup and served over 2 acorn squash. It was good--the squash made it sort of creamy. Also, there is a "zucchini custard" recipe in this forum that I've been meaning to try. It uses up 3 cups of zucchini.
pattinput

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:11 am

When I lived in Hawaii, long ago, I briefly worked in a breakfast restaurant in downtown Honolulu. Can't recall the name or whether it still exists. They served "home fried" potatoes and also sliced pan fried zucchini as sides to the entrees and they were very good. I still serve zucchini that way--sort of. I slice about 1/4 inch thin and cook on each side in a cast iron skillet to brown. I usually do the same with mushrooms and sometimes add tomatoes (cut in half). Delicious.
Vanilla Orchid

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning