oats - nearly 13 years Dougalling ... [sigh]

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

oats - nearly 13 years Dougalling ... [sigh]

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:31 am

after all this time, trying to eat oats most days, and only just discovered how not to have them explode out of the bowl - put in half the water at the start and mid way through cooking add the remainder ...
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Re: oats - nearly 13 years Dougalling ... [sigh]

Postby chewy68 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:55 am

:)
chewy68

Postby Trinity » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:55 pm

Good to know—I just was keeping an eye on them and stopping the microwave as soon as it looked like it was about to boil over…unless I forgot!

Congrats on almost 13 years! That’s my lucky number.
Trinity

Postby MINNIE » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:16 pm

Thanks Katherine!

One great mystery of the universe finally solved:).

I am approaching my 10th McDougall anniversary, and still couldn't properly cook oats in the microwave.

Live and learn!
MINNIE

Postby frozenveg » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:41 am

Katherine, congrats on the nearly 13 years--me too!

I started eating oats every day for breakfast in mid-May 2010. I realized I didn't want it to boil over in the microwave, so I make my 1/2 oats (with either 1 or 1 1/2 cups water) in a 4-cup (~1-liter) Pyrex bowl. I never boils over (unless I hit too many zeroes on the microwave :lol: )

When I use the 1 1/2 cups water, I cook for 8 minutes at 50% power, and it won't boil over. I've gone so far with this that when I used to travel, I'd bring the 4-cup Pyrex bowl with me. My husband hates my luggage sometimes.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby debknott » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:22 am

I put mine in a bowl that is way larger than appears to be needed. It never overflows.
debknott

Postby Keepyerplantieson » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:41 am

I eat oats for breakfast most days in winter. For cooking oats in the microwave, the size and shape of the bowl you're cooking in makes all the difference. I cook my oats in soup plates, wide shallow bowls with a large surface area. The oats never boil over, and I don't need to do anything special like adjusting the temperature or adding the water in stages. The large surface area is what works.
Keepyerplantieson

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning