Brown rice and sesame oil...is it still good?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Brown rice and sesame oil...is it still good?

Postby kimba » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:50 am

Hello all. I have a question for you. I have some unopened brown rice with a best by date of Nov 14,2020. I have it stored in the kitchen in my cupboard. Along with some sesame oil, that has best if used by date of June of this year 2022. It is opened by the way. Now are they good to use? I read different things online, I am actually wanting to hear from real people. Thoughts please.

And I thank you.

Kimba
kimba

Re: Brown rice and sesame oil...is it still good?

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:50 am

My own rule of thumb is whole grains are usable for 1 year. In nature, the seeds drop and may need to survive the dry season until the next year monsoon. I like to use my pantry staples before 6 months. Food is for eating, not for banking. This is probably already baked into the best used before date on the package. I use brown rice regularly, buy brown rice weekly, and usually have 1-3 packages (1-2 kg) in the pantry.

Oil should not be used. Use a bit of whole sesame seeds if you want sesame flavor.

Don't want your effort cooking a dish to be ruined by one off tasting ingredient. Toss both and buy new.
michaelswarm

Re: Brown rice and sesame oil...is it still good?

Postby kimba » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:40 pm

Thank you.
kimba

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning