Oat free bean burger recipe?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oat free bean burger recipe?

Postby victw » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:19 pm

Hi all,

It's been a long time. I used to have a great weekly habit of making Jeff Novick's bean burgers. My husband had to go gluten-free and also seems to be sensitive to oats. What can I substitute for the oats in Jeff's burger recipe?

I assume this question has been asked before but a quick search did not yield a result.

Thanks.
Vicki
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Re: Oat free bean burger recipe?

Postby michaelswarm » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:02 pm

How about brown rice?
Or soaked lentils?

May not be what you are looking for, but... Sometimes I make burgers with baked steamed potato slices. Yes, just big flat oven fries. Not only are potatoes delicious, by the time you add mustard, ketchup, pickles, lettuce, onion, tomato, etc., the patty is just a small part of the sandwich. I guess your husband is probably skipping the bun too?

Another burger alternative is slices of "meat loaf". I make a lentil and brown rice lentil loaf. Soaked raw lentils are the binder. Technique inspired by traditional falafel. The soaked raw lentils are mixed in food processor with tomato sauce or other vegetables. Unlike burger recipes that combine pre cooked beans and grains, you need to make sure to bake these long enough to cook the raw lentils.
michaelswarm

Postby windmill » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:30 am

Why don't you just leave out the oats? :) I add an flaxx-egg to make the patties hold together.
windmill

Postby JeffN » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:13 am

Oats are gluten free. Many oats sold in the USA are contaminated with gluten because they are processed in the same factory as gluten containing grains. You can buy Certified 100% Gluten Free oats now. Some are very low gluten and some are gluten free. https://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free ... -oats.html

The oats are the binder so if you wanted, you could try any other gluten free grain (buckwheat, corn, millet, quinoa, etc) as the binder but they may not work as well.

If gluten is the issue, I would recommend to try using gluten free oats.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning