Banana-carrot milk for husband's cereal.....

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Banana-carrot milk for husband's cereal.....

Postby S B » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:17 pm

Due to the high fat content of regular soy milk and isolated soy protein being in some brands of the low fat soy milk, I have simply stopped buying it. We mainly used it on cereal, anyway -- and, since I mostly MWL and usually do not eat cold cereal, it was mainly just for my husband's cereal.

The first day without soy milk, I made banana milk (simply mashed banana and some water mixed together -- sorta like a thin smoothie with tiny lumps of banana in it) for my husband. He actually liked it on his cereal!!!

Then I got brave and whizzed a raw carrot with some water into as close to a liquid state as possible in a blender (and did NOT strain it) and then threw in some banana and whizzed it just little bit more and got banana-carrot milk. He likes that, too -- as long as I do not get too much carrot and not enough banana in it, that is.....

I generally use one medium-size carrot to one medium-size ripe (but not overripe) banana in a total of about 1&1/2 to 2 cups of banana-carrot milk.

My husband eats plenty of fruit but does not eat enough veggies. I feel that his using banana-carrot milk on his cereal on some mornings helps him to increase his veggie intake. :wink:
S B

now this sounds like a neat idea

Postby groundhogg » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:24 am

cheap and easy enough.

So this is good, hey? :-) I stopped buying Rice Dream because it has gluten in it...and we used to make soymilk all the time, but I've slowed donw on doing that because we just have a tendecny to soy, soy, soy our beans, gently down the stream :roll: , ya know...sorrry that just kinda popped outta nowhere :lol: .

But anyway, I do like cold cereal and this sounds like something I might try! :eek: Thanks for the idea :!: , SB!
groundhogg

Postby groundhogg » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:28 am

seriously :-o , I think I might be developing little :-P bitty :-P face :x "issues," now :angry:, on top of all my other daily groundhog trials :drool: !
groundhogg

Try this.....

Postby S B » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:39 pm

The first time you try this, you might just want to make plain banana milk and see how that goes over. Then try banana-carrot milk with maybe just half the amount of carrot and work up to the whole amount (that I use). You can also add some vanilla or sweetener or even salt to it (if you like), but I don't.

For banana milk try....

Ingredients
*1 medium-size ripe (but not overripe) banana
*3/4 cup of water (more or less to taste)

Directions
Mash (or puree, if you prefer) the banana and stir-in the water. Chill, re-stir and serve.

For banana-carrot milk try....
Pureeing (in a blender) anywhere from 1/2 to 1 whole medium size carrot (start with 1/2 a carrot until you find out how much carrot you like in this) in about 3/4 cup (or more) of water and then adding 1 medium-size ripe banana and pureeing for a few more seconds. Chill, stir, and serve.

Oh goodness! My husband is popping the popcorn for us and it SMELLS like I gotta run!

Hope you like the banana-carrot milk!
:)
S B

Great Idea! Thanks.

Postby Clary » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:00 am

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this.

"Then I got brave and whizzed a raw carrot with some water into as close to a liquid state as possible in a blender (and did NOT strain it) and then threw in some banana and whizzed it just little bit more and got banana-carrot milk. He likes that, too -- as long as I do not get too much carrot and not enough banana in it, that is..... "
Clary

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning