Oona's Ogham

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Oona's Ogham

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri May 31, 2019 11:23 am

Still here, still eating whole plant foods!
Weight: 116. This means I have lost about 2 to 4 pounds since I started in February, and that I am still over 10 pounds from my goal weight. Enjoying the food, working to eat only to 80% full instead of over eating ( realizing I have been over eating for most meals for many months now). Also working on healing insulin resistance. I am eating a lot more raw vegetables and some fruits. Less white carbs & starches for the moment. Posting on the MWL monthly weight loss page every week for accountability. Back to regular running but not yet back to my base run-but getting pretty close to it! Hoping to be there by summer.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Still here, still eating and enjoying whole food plants!
Weight: 115 lbs
Height: 60 inches
Wrist circumference: 5.4 inches which puts me at small frame
Goal weight: 100 lbs
My high school weight was 90 to 95 pounds.
So since late March I have lost about 5 pounds. This puts me at a rate of 1/2 pound loss per week.
At this rate presuming it continues it will take me another 7 months to reach my goal weight of 100 lbs. I
am hoping to speed up this rate to at least 1 pound per week! I started seed cycling this past week
for hormone health, I think it is already having positive effect as I am sleeping a bit more soundly.
Also eating for healing my insulin resistance which I think is helping also. Also I think I have candida
overgrowth so I am eating with this is mind-but not doing the super extreme cleanse for this yet. I
think I might have to remove fruit for a few weeks but I hope I don't have to.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:36 pm

Back after 6 weeks away. Started eating more MWL/Mary's Mini style again after eating McDougall SS style.
Still have weight to lose, want to lose 15 more pounds if possible in a healthy way. At least 10 more, would prefer
20 as long as I am healthy.
Currently 115lbs, down about 5 pounds from last spring.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Here I am again 2 years later! Back to this way of eating after some very confusing and challenging years away. I am very happy to be here & to be returning to this way of eating. Here's to future increased health and happiness! I am in the home stretch of menopause it seems, healing from about 5+years of chronic fatigue syndrome too. Couldn't exercise due to illness for a number of years. Finally am able to do shorter daily exercise thanks to the CFS Unravelled program by Dan Neuffer! Currently at 20-30 minutes of yoga every other day (hatha/vinyasa/kundalini) & daily treadmill fast walking and a tiny bit of running 20-30 minutes each time. I started with 5 minute workouts at the beginning of March. I have goals of returning to former glories of regular 3-4 days a week running, going for hikes, dancing at nightclubs, taking dance classes & more. More immediate goal is to complete a 5k race in the fall even if I have to walk most of it (but hoping to be able to run at least half of it). PEM (post exertional malaise) is still an issue but getting less intense and less frequent the more I follow the program mentioned above. Current goals are weight loss & increasing health with this way of eating! Want to lose at least 10 pounds but prefer 20, we will see. Mostly following the MWL plan but some SS meals in there on occasion. Plan to post regularly here to keep myself on track again! I am eating a lot more raw vegetables and greens than in previous times following this way of eating. Enjoying a daily salad and enjoying starting lunch and dinner with either low cal soup, salad, fruit or raw veggies too. This is good progress!

Yesterday's meals:
B: oats with greens and miso
L: cabbage slaw & lentil soup
D: mashed potatoes, kale and corn
S: oatmeal cookies (SS homemade)
Cutting out the cookies as of today. No snacks between meals if I can help it, I feel like it's better for my blood sugar and weight loss not to snack. Been batch cooking twice weekly a bean dish and a coleslaw salad to eat for half the week. This is really helping me stay compliant and also reduces food anxiety. Will work to not stuff myself at meals this week, was overstuffing a bit due to fear of deprivation I think.

Height: 5'0"
Frame: small

SW: 122.8 (beginning of June)
CW: 120.2 (June 16 today)
GW: 110 or less
Renpho digital scale stats:

BMI:23.6
Body fat: 27.9%
Subcutaneous fat: 25.4%

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes, just started this week.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
I am eating a little tofu on weekends and I have unsweetened almond milk in morning coffee.

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes except for unsweetened almond milk in coffee

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Mostly, a few meals I ate too much. This was usually at dinner but sometimes lunch (never breakfast). Food FOMO was the cause!

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes, every day at least 30 minutes

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:44 pm

Back to post today's meals & thoughts.

B: rolled oats with sliced banana, cacao powder & 1/2 scoop pea protein powder. Decaf w/unsweetened almond milk.
L: rainbow cabbage slaw with gochu jiang sauce, lentil soup
D: air fried russet potato, raw carrots and 2 handfuls of mixed greens. Oatmeal cookie

Will cease using the protein powder starting tomorrow. Will make a new batch of cookies that only have MWL ingredients. I am finding the addition of a serving or two of leafy greens and/or non starchy vegetables eaten with a starch to be SO MUCH more filling than eating the starch by itself! Also the pre-loading makes the meal that much more filling also! I am finding that eating larger meals and waiting at least 3 hours between meals works best for me right now. I also don't eat past 7pm. Also I have been eating until stuffed at some meals from what I call "FOOD FOMO", a.k.a. scarcity mindset. Going to work on turning that around also. I have lost about 3 pounds in past two weeks, started at close to my highest weight ever then. I'm going on a brief family vacation in 2 weeks, will eat on plan as much as I can but I am sure there will be detours due to circumstances. I plan to make MWL potato salad & oats with fruit while away, maybe a barley or pasta salad with lots of vegetables and beans too. Have to do the best I can while there-I will get right back to 100% as soon as I am back home! Today I did 30 minutes of yoga & 25 minutes of treadmill (brisk walking).
I have a summer goal of perfecting some MWL compliant salad recipes that are in my imagination. Also some sushi rolls! I enjoy creating new recipes & am feeling inspired :). It will be fun to try them out soon.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:03 pm

Today's meals & thoughts! I tried out my idea for kimchi potato salad today, it turned out really delicious!
I will make some adjustments to the recipe but it was good for a first try. I made enough to last through tomorrow.
I will then make a different potato salad for the weekend, we are in a little heat wave so eating hot meals is
pretty unappealing. I will be back later today to fill in dinner & add any other comments that come to mind.

B: rolled oats, cauliflower rice, banana, cinnamon & cacao powder.
L: kimchi potato salad & celery sticks
D: air fried russet potato, mixed greens raw
S: 1/2 frozen banana & unsweetened almond milk "shake"

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:50 pm

Today's journal entry.
Lost more weight!
SW: 123
CW: 119.4
GW: 105
UGW: 100

NSV: Waking up somewhat refreshed lately, this is HUGE for me! I am recovering from ME/CFS and having energy and feeling rested in the morning hasn't been something I have experienced for YEARS until now. Hope this continues!

B: steamed green beans then 1/2 cup rolled oats in miso broth. Decaf with unsweetened almond milk
L: celery sticks then leftover kimchi potato salad
D: carrot sticks and mixed greens then air fried russet potato with mustard.
S: blended 1 frozen banana with a small handful of boysenberries & a cup of unsweetened almond milk

Today went well, I am losing weight consistently these past two weeks since I started! I didn't stuff myself today and felt more confident following the 10 point plan for MWL program. I am certain that I am finally losing weight because I am following the program much more strictly this time & the pre-loading at each meal is really helping keep my caloric intake low enough to be in a deficit. Being so petite it is VERY challenging to eat so low but with this way of eating I can get quite full and not feel deprived! This is both hugely relieving and also exciting! I have been wanting and trying in vain to lose weight for a few years now, so super happy something is shifting things.

I'm thinking ahead to my mini family vacation. I think the easiest thing to do is to try and follow the Starch Solution for those 4 days then return to MWL when I get back. I will be able to prepare some meals at the cabin we are staying in but have no idea what sort of groceries I will have access to. My family eats very differently than I do, but there will be some salads I can hopefully make that they will also enjoy. Hopefully I can have plenty of oats, beans, fruit and salads.
Last edited by OOnaOwl on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:49 am

Today's journal entry.

CW: 119.2
UGW! 100

B: steamed broccoli then rolled oats with miso & seaweed. Decaf coffee with unsweetened almond milk.
L: carrot sticks then kimchi potato salad
D: rainbow veggie potato salad & grits
S: 2 small FOK brownies

The scale moved a little further south today, this is giving me confidence that this plan will work for me! I haven't lost any inches yet. I will eat the rest of my potato salad for lunch and then make more to eat in next days. This time I will make it with kale, beets, celery & mustard. I ended up making some Forks Over Knives brownies. I froze most of them but ate 2 small ones & saved a few for tomorrow. I also ate a 1/4 cup of grits. I stuffed myself again at lunch, still trying to figure out how much to eat so that I am satisfied but not stuffed! One takeaway is to eat smaller more frequent meals, will start that tomorrow. Actually I started with dinner tonight, took tiny portions and kept going back for more. It worked-I didn't over stuff myself. Listened to some lectures by McDougall & Doug Lisle today, very helpful! I"m feeling much better equipped to succeed in this endeavor! I am so looking forward to having my healthy slim body back to enjoy again.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:24 pm

Sunday's journal entry. Happy summer!

Weight
CW:119.2
Posting my weight daily, that is part of what helps me stay on track!

B: banana then rolled oats with arugula, wakame & miso. Decaf with unsweetened almond milk
L: rainbow vegetable potato salad & chickpeas, several servings. 1 FOK brownie
D: rainbow vegetable potato salad & chickpeas. 1 FOK brownie
S: ginger turmeric coconut basmati rice. baked apple

I decided to have a few treats this weekend, starting with the Forks Over Knives brownies I made yesterday. I froze most of them but portioned out a serving for yesterday and one for today. I also drank a hard seltzer last night & had a serving of grits after dinner. These are not compliant to the Maximum Weight Loss plan I know, but they are compliant with the Starch Solution. I will eat strictly MWL this week until my vacation, then we will see how that goes. I'm paying much closer attention to my hunger and satiety cues and making progress with that. I am shocked how full I get on greens and whole starches! I have a headache this morning from the one drink I had, I am not accustomed to drinking often. I have been having 1 or 2 drinks per week, I am sure I will have some on vacation too!

That drink had me dragging tail all day. I indulged again today in the brownies and basmati rice. I had just one serving of each and did not binge though! The rice I made with water and 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut, turmeric powder and fresh sliced ginger root. I made about 4 servings and ate 1/3 of it and put the rest away for tomorrow. It is one of my comfort foods! the baked apple tasted much too sweet to me, so I only ate about 1/3 of it and saved the rest for tomorrow. I practiced tuning in to hunger cues today and made really good progress! I didn't over eat anything (as far as stretch receptors go) and ate a good balance of non starchy to starchy (about 50/50). I followed the guidelines of filling up on 50/50 then going back for more if still hungry. My digestion is happier not stuffing myself too! I'm looking forward to feeling better tomorrow & eating more to MWL plan.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:21 pm

Journal entry for today.

Weight:
CW: 118.4

Wow, I lost another pound already! I think this is really working! :) Very impressive considering my age/height/frame size. I also lost some inches around my hips, thighs and calves in past two days.

We are going grocery shopping today & I have a MWL compliant list. Planning ahead for my SS/MWL snacks and meals while on vacation this upcoming weekend. I have some of that coconut basmati rice left to eat and two last FOK brownies. After that I will make some fruit-oat breakfast cookies that are MWL compliant as a snack/treat.

B: banana then rolled oats with arugula, arame & miso. Decaf with unsweetened almond milk
L: zoodles with garlic salt and nooch then rainbow vegetable potato salad & chickpeas then 1 FOK brownie
D: rainbow vegetable potato salad and chickpeas. 1 frozen banana "shake" I blended up with a little unsweetened almond milk and cinnamon.
S: raw carrot then shredded carrot with ginger coconut basmati rice. 1 FOK brownie.

I'm eating smaller meals today so consequently eating more often because I am not staying full as long. I am doing much better at not stuffing myself today (haven't stuffed myself at all) but I am much hungrier. Digestion is much better now that I am not overloading my system too.

I ate a healthy amount for dinner also, glad I am making this healthy change relatively easily as far as food amounts go. I went to store today and stocked up on MWL plan foods, some for home and some for our trip. I will be well armed with oats & things!
Last edited by OOnaOwl on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:40 pm

Re-reading my original entry, it's eye opening to say the least. I basically am still in the same place I was back then but many years older! I will not use this information to abuse myself, but instead to commit even more deeply to this health and fitness journey. If it's to be, it's absolutely up to me! Indeed, I have done this before. I lived this lifestyle effortlessly in my 30's with the slim healthy energetic body that served me well. I will allow this vision to propel me forward making healthy choices to build this back into my reality :).

OOnaOwl wrote:Greetings! I have started on the McDougall MLP as of this week (not sure which day I began). This WOE is what I am choosing to lead me back to a life of health, energy, beauty & grace. I am documenting my progress here to help both myself and others.
The next paragraph contains a small portion of my history thus far.

I was low fat whole food vegan for about a decade ten years ago & I loved it! I was slim and healthy, full of energy. Fast forward ten years later- about 5 years ago I went vegetarian (which continued until this month) and I immediately gained weight-and continued to gain-and developed various health concerns. I am only 5 feet tall with a small frame, and when vegan hovered around 100 pounds without trying (and that was eating some processed foods and oils too)( I weighed 90 pounds in high school). Now I have ballooned up to my largest size ever- as of today at 117. I know it may not sound like much to most people but I basically have a child size frame and according to my weight/fat/water scale I am currently at 27% fat-and it is visible from head to toe. I also have other various inflammatory ailments such as TMJ disorder, migraines & acid reflux. At 46 years old, I am entering the early to mid stages of perimenopause as well-which has been rough seas indeed especially with regard to mood & emotions.

I tried the ETL Fuhrman program twice in the past year, but was left ceaselessly ravenous no matter how much I consumed-which invariably led to digestive discomfort as my system tried to process the overabundance of intake. Since I started on McDougall MLP I have been fully satisfied with my meals every day, and very little to no digestive distress. So far I have only lost a pound or possibly 2, but it is very early days. I just finished my breakfast of oats with fruit, feeling very calm, grounded & hopeful for a better future.

My health goals: Weight returning to around 95 pounds by summer-and stabilizing at about 19% BMI or lower (what I was before when healthy). Reduction or better of inflammatory issues & graceful peri/menopause experience.

I wish to be once again slim, vibrant & a help & inspiration to others! May it be so. Bless!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:33 pm

Today's journal entry.

CW: 118.4

B: banana followed by oats, arugula, miso, seaweed. Decaf and unsweetened almond milk
L: 2 raw carrots then chickpeas and the last of the rainbow vegetable potato salad.
D: chickpeas, cauliflower rice, leftover coconut ginger basmati rice.
S: 2 homemade oatmeal breakfast cookies

Packing a bag of pantry items for the cabin. Almost all MWL friendly, a few things are SS friendly (rice cakes, potato flakes and oat bran). I am waking up feeling more rested and less poorly each day, this is a very welcome change. Wasn't feeling great today, ate fairly well but not 100% MWL but it was at least 100% Starch Solution style and mostly MWL style. I will aim to do better tomorrow!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:04 pm

Today's entry.

CW: 118.8

B: green beans then oats with cooked apple & spices. decaf and unsweetened almond milk
L: zoodles with nooch and garlic salt then air fried russet potato with mustard. homemade oatmeal cookie.
D: whole wheat pasta with broccoli and arugula. nooch and garlic salt. oatmeal cookie

It's fully summer here & my body is sensitive to the heat. Retaining some extra water & feeling not in top shape.
Spent the day organizing and packing for the mountain trip tomorrow. The cabin has no a/c and digits are supposed
to climb to triple numbers, not to mention the extreme wildfire risk. Not the most relaxing vacation and the first one
I've had in over 3 years. Bringing as much healthy food as I can and my workout clothes. I will weigh myself tomorrow for the MWL weigh in on Friday but won't have access to a scale until Monday again.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:08 pm

New journal entry.
Happy Canada Day to all Canadians (I have Canadian relatives & love Canada).

CW: 118.8

B:rolled oats and banana with water, cocoa powder and unsweetened almond milk and cinnamon decaf coffee.
L: zoodles with nooch and garlic salt, black bean veggie and quinoa salad
D:
S:

So I was away from internet in the forest until yesterday, also had to eat off plan due to vacation circumstances. I gained back about 2 pounds (scale was up to 120 yesterday) but am already losing it now that I am home and eating on plan again. Though I "failed" at eating on plan while away I "won" at the mindset by not getting down on myself and jumping right back on track after returning. I am playing for the long game here! Not to mention my ultimate goal is to eat this way 90% of time and 10% omnivore once I reach my goal weight. That is how I lived life for the better part of 20 years and I was slim, healthy & energetic. So I am not in the "never eat off plan" camp as some are. Anyway, made a delicious black bean vegetable and quinoa salad as soon as I got back. That will be gone by tomorrow, then I will make a brown rice, chickpea & vegetable salad. I have found my summer groove with this meal plan-make a big grain, bean and veggie salad twice a week! Come Autumn I will replace the salads with soups and stews. I love batch cooking, saves time, mental energy & stress for me. Back later to add the rest of today's log.

OOnaOwl

Postby Ejeff » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:38 am

Just curious why your ultimate goal is 10% omnivore? Do you miss eating meat?

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals