Finally ready to conquer for good!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Health 1st

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:05 am

Health 1st wrote:I just wanted to clarify something. Yes, I definitely want to lose all this excess weight for health--entire cardiovascular system including b/p, for my joints, etc., + for not always being so fat that I have to order clothes through a special catalog/website, + to be able to fully live life!

But yes, weight loss is important to me.

I enjoy reading your journal. Do you read the McDougall success stories? They always inspire me to stay the course. Yes, I do understand about how our thinking leads us astray; thinking 1 small slice of birthday cake won't hurt. For some of us, it does hurt. I am one of them (for various reasons). I am now finding it easier to just say 'no thanks' than subject myself to my own harsh judgment. We are our own worst enemies! Through therapy etc., I have learned to be gentle with myself. Relapses and slips DO happen, but now I tell myself a new story: "I made a mistake but I know how to correct it. I am in charge and able to change my thinking and behavior."

Keep going! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Re: Finally ready to conquer for good!

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi Health 1st,

I love the name of your journal!!! :cool:

Saw your posts in the MWL forum and wanted to say congrats on your progress!!!

You are definitely in the right place to "conquer for good"!!!

Hope you have a great week!

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:47 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Health 1st,

Me too! NICE weight loss. It's a journey but nothing happens until we start. Keep going, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Re: Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:53 pm

deweyswakms wrote:
Health 1st wrote:I just wanted to clarify something. Yes, I definitely want to lose all this excess weight for health--entire cardiovascular system including b/p, for my joints, etc., + for not always being so fat that I have to order clothes through a special catalog/website, + to be able to fully live life!

But yes, weight loss is important to me.

I enjoy reading your journal. Do you read the McDougall success stories? They always inspire me to stay the course. Yes, I do understand about how our thinking leads us astray; thinking 1 small slice of birthday cake won't hurt. For some of us, it does hurt. I am one of them (for various reasons). I am now finding it easier to just say 'no thanks' than subject myself to my own harsh judgment. We are our own worst enemies! Through therapy etc., I have learned to be gentle with myself. Relapses and slips DO happen, but now I tell myself a new story: "I made a mistake but I know how to correct it. I am in charge and able to change my thinking and behavior."

Keep going! Marsha

Thank you, Marsha; you are so sweet...I feel like I've barely written anything in my journal yet. :-D It's encouraging to know that people have even read what I've written + even more so to know that it's been enjoyable. :)

I have not read too many Success Stories/Star McDougallers recently but definitely plan to when I feel like I'm struggling +/or have more time. Yes; I always find them so inspiring!! So thankful to Dr. + Mary McDougall + their staff for allowing us access to all of the wonderful stories, Programs, recipes, etc.!

In my 20's I was able to McDougall + have 1 small piece of birthday cake or 1 small scoop of commercial potato salad at a picnic + just get right back on track. Sure, I wanted more junk sometimes, but I'd tell myself that I'll do really good now + I can look forward to a scoop of the potato salad at next year's picnic get-together, if I even wanted it by then.

But now, in my 40's + having read + seen so many video clips about how bad these "treats" are for our health, I do then mentally beat myself up like how could I purposely eat something that I know is so bad for my body, let alone my mind, because then it "eats away" at me that I had the "treat". :?

But, I completely agree with you about being gentle with myself because I have even told myself to give myself grace. After all I know I can never be perfect because I'm human--not to use that as an excuse, but to help me put my eating mistakes in proper perspective so that it doesn't get out of hand, as it all too often has. Another after all, I give grace to others all the time, so why not extend it to myself, as well?! :)
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:08 pm

I love the name of your journal!!! :cool:

You are definitely in the right place to "conquer for good"!!!

Hope you have a great week!

Best,
Stephanie

Thank you, Stephanie, all you said is very kind of you + super encouraging! :-D
I like your Username. :thumbsup:

Yes, I agree with you + believe this is the right place to "conquer for good"!! And being able to dialogue via these forums is awesome + I know will really help!

Please forgive me for not yet being familiar enough with where you are with MWL, etc.. I definitely want to get online more + read all the weigh-in entries, etc.. I'm only on my phone, so it's a bit more challenging, but I'll get there!

Thank you, I hope you have a wonderful week, too! :)
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:15 pm

deweyswakms wrote:

Me too! NICE weight loss. It's a journey but nothing happens until we start. Keep going, Marsha

Marsha, you are just an ever-slimming-down "ball" of encouragement; thank you!!! :-D

Looking forward to reading everyone's MWL posts this week + your + others' journals so I can be even more in the loop with everyone + how they're doing!

I suspect we'll "chat" during the week, but may you have a wonderful one!!! :)
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:14 pm

I was a little, well maybe a lot skeptical when I weighed Friday morning + wondered if it was a fluke. But I'm happy to say that Saturday morning I weighed the same. Just for the heck of it I weighed again this morning + I was down even more, so the loss of weight was/is true--simply amazing!

So I have completed a full 12 days + lost 19.6#s. And more importantly than that, I am loving + desiring the healthy foods, my blood pressure + pulse are better, + I feel at peace with food. When I was eating the bad stuff I knew it was so bad for my health + really think I was on the brink of having a real bad problem like a stroke or heart attack. So I couldn't fully enjoy the junk because I had this impending doom, + it wasn't just all in my head: my health was progressively going down hill, + fast.

Now I feel like I'm on the other side of the mountain, the healthy side, + that I'll just keep reaping the rewards as I keep on keeping on. So thankful to God for His abundant grace + mercy as I was so foolishly eating the way I was when I really knew better!!! And so thankful to Dr. + Mary McDougall, Jeff, Mark, Heather, + all the other people I'm missing at the McDougall "headquarters", + so thankful for my fellow compadres who are in the trenches with me fighting to regain their health! Very grateful...so blessed!!! :)
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:10 pm

I was able to grocery shop last night (2nd time since got started) + was so blessed that there was an electric cart with 93% battery power left out in the parking lot by someone. :D

Well, I did it...I bought too much produce---lol--but that's a good thing, right?! :-D There isn't that much space in the fridge, so I'm currently munching on a huge platter of salad mix (Yes, I'm hungry :) ). It is iceberg lettuce with lots of shredded carrots + red cabbage. Normally I'm a dark greens girl because I think there's a lot more nutrition in them, but this certainly is refreshing! (I also bought a 1# box of organic baby spinach.)

Anyway, when I drove to the bagged salads (the driving part sounds funny to me :wink: ), there was this what appeared to be abandoned shopping cart right in front. It had 2 coffee cakes + 1 box of doughnuts. I was thinking that maybe by the time the person got to the bags of lettuce, their guilt in planning on purchasing those bakery items was just too great, + they instead grabbed a bag of lettuce + darted for the checkout....well, one can at least hope. :nod:

They had a good sized container of organic blueberries that are just out-of-this-world delicious!!! I was hoping to not to have to shop for several days, but I'm thinking of trying to get back there to buy several more clamshell boxes, wash them, + freeze them since I've been using up the frozen fruit as I'm recovering. Certainly is nice to be "conniving" how I can get to the store to buy organic blueberries rather than ice cream, potato chips, + cheese!!! :-D

Well, I just thought I'd hop on + mumble some meanderings. At least I am currently well stocked for pre-loading my meals + for the 50% of my plate.

Wishing who ever may read this a really nice day +/or evening. Take care! :)
Health 1st

Postby Ejeff » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:34 am

Congratulations on your success so far. I sometimes do the same thing, I buy too much produce. As you say it’s actually a good strategy as it needs to get used up so we eat it. :-D

I agree with you about the blueberries they are so wonderful. I try to eat berries everyday.

Enjoying your journal, wishing you great health. And more berries!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Health 1st » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:59 pm

Ejeff wrote:Congratulations on your success so far. I sometimes do the same thing, I buy too much produce. As you say it’s actually a good strategy as it needs to get used up so we eat it. :-D

I agree with you about the blueberries they are so wonderful. I try to eat berries everyday.

Enjoying your journal, wishing you great health. And more berries!

Erin

Hi, Erin!

Thank you for reading my journal, your kind sentiments, + encouragement; I really appreciate it! :-D

That's a great idea to try to have berries every day! I've read + heard more than once how very healthy they are for us. Do you tend to eat mostly frozen + then fresh more so in the Summer?

I never made it back to the store, but it's definitely on my mind + I hope to get there soon! :nod:

Thank you, again, + congratulations on your weight loss + being so close to your ideal/chosen weight! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Health 1st

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:00 am

Yes, that’s exactly what I do. I always have frozen berries on hand, but in the summer I love fresh blueberries.

Thanks, I have been eating this way 6.5 years. I’m grateful everyday that I happened to hear Dr. McDougall on the radio. I’m quite sure if I had not I would still be on the weight loss roller coaster trying all kinds of strategies like counting calories and over exercising. And eating the unhealthy SAD diet. I’ve never had more energy and better sleep, so life really is great. :-D

Also, I am highly motivated to eat healthy as both my parents died mid 60s from cancer so I’m doing my best to try and reduce that risk as much as possible.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:42 am

Health 1st wrote:Well, I did it...I bought too much produce---lol--but that's a good thing, right?! :-D There isn't that much space in the fridge, so I'm currently munching on a huge platter of salad mix (Yes, I'm hungry :) ). It is iceberg lettuce with lots of shredded carrots + red cabbage.

I LOVE berries; and I keep frozen raspberries around all the time. Smart to think of going back to buy and freeze the blue berries.

I remember one of Jeff N's comments (a few years ago I think) about how even iceberg lettuce had nutrition in it.

So, yay for eating all that produce!

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Health 1st » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Ejeff wrote:Yes, that’s exactly what I do. I always have frozen berries on hand, but in the summer I love fresh blueberries.

Thanks, I have been eating this way 6.5 years. I’m grateful everyday that I happened to hear Dr. McDougall on the radio. I’m quite sure if I had not I would still be on the weight loss roller coaster trying all kinds of strategies like counting calories and over exercising. And eating the unhealthy SAD diet. I’ve never had more energy and better sleep, so life really is great. :-D

Also, I am highly motivated to eat healthy as both my parents died mid 60s from cancer so I’m doing my best to try and reduce that risk as much as possible.

Erin

Erin,

I'm so sorry to learn of your parents. :-( Yes, you are doing yourself a real favor by following Dr. McDougall's recommendations!! :thumbsup:

I always have some frozen fruit on hand, too, but wish I had more freezer space, especially with all the delicious berries in the Summer now. I was working on bringing down the stuff in the freezer so I can clean it real good + restock it. I also have to figure out a different system because I'll freeze bags of fruit, vegetables, left-overs, etc., but when I try to rearrange things later, things keep falling out of the freezer. :roll: It's a fridge with the freezer on top. I'm thinking of buying small bins or something.

Anyway, thank you for replying! ☺ I'm so glad you're a seasoned McDougaller; keep up the great work! :nod:
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:07 pm

deweyswakms wrote:
Health 1st wrote:Well, I did it...I bought too much produce---lol--but that's a good thing, right?! :-D There isn't that much space in the fridge, so I'm currently munching on a huge platter of salad mix (Yes, I'm hungry :) ). It is iceberg lettuce with lots of shredded carrots + red cabbage.

I LOVE berries; and I keep frozen raspberries around all the time. Smart to think of going back to buy and freeze the blue berries.

I remember one of Jeff N's comments (a few years ago I think) about how even iceberg lettuce had nutrition in it.

So, yay for eating all that produce!

Marsha

Marsha,

Thank you for your continued encouragement! :) That's a very good thing to know about Jeff saying there still are nutrients in iceberg lettuce. I'll have to look that up.

I'm so glad you have frozen berries on hand--yummy, convenient, + great for your health! I may try to get to the store tonight for more blueberries. My foot is unexpectedly swollen today (from sprained ankle), so I don't know. I'll see.

Thanks again! :)
Health 1st

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:41 pm

Health 1st wrote:That's a very good thing to know about Jeff saying there still are nutrients in iceberg lettuce. I'll have to look that up.

https://jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entr ... nsity.html

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals