10 years of McDougalling

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 10 years of McDougalling

Postby squealcat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:04 pm

Ruff: I would say that your Tuesday was a stressful one ! Hope your friend is doing well now and is finding the help she needs.

I saw you quoted John Bingham and it made me smile. :-D My husband used to run. He started after having heart bypass surgery more than 15 years ago. At his first check-up after that surgery he asked his cardiologist if he could start running and he doctor said , "yes ! but please don't aim to win any races ! :lol: " That was the beginning of my husband's life as a runner. He DID enter some races and I went along. The energy I felt as a spectator was wonderful and it was so fun to watch! He had to stop a few years ago because his leg muscles started to give him pains. He felt it was the statins meds he was on. He stopped the meds and things got better but he never started running again. Now he has claudication in his legs and had a stent or two placed to keep his leg arteries open. Anyways, I used to read Dave's Runner's World magazines and always went to John Bingham's writings first. I even cut out some of the articles and saved them ! I am not a runner but I walk almost every day. That is MY time! I say my prayers, listen to a podcast (Bible in a Year) and then maybe something else or just quiet. I like the quiet too ! :nod:

Thank you for all your thoughts and advice ! The time between 3pm and 5pm are my tough times too. I read, draw or meditate during those times (or type something here :lol: ) Don't know how Felix is today. I will ask my daughter a little later and put it on my journal page. She is still at work right now and don't want to bother my son-in-law who may be working too (works from home ).

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:56 pm

Katie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend! I'm so glad you could help her to a safe place. I know you stress-ate, but at least it was all compliant foods. That is a victory! I hope you get the time you need to read and knit.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Ruff » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:08 pm

Very quick this morning...have an appointment with a friend (not the one in trouble, she is fine today and in contact with an agency who can help her).

I got in the hills yesterday, very cold and icy but bright and sunny, an amazing morning, very uplifting. I so wish it was easy to post photos on this board. That is the one thing for which I prefer Facebook.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Ejeff » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:35 am

I am visualizing the beautiful scenery you saw on the hill. It’s so amazing how beautiful our world is. What a great way to start the day. :-D

I’m glad your friend has the help she needs now.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Ruff » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Its a bank holiday here today. Matariki, which is the Maori New Year, when the pleiades show over the northeastern horizon.

We dont have any particular plans. I will be running on the beach with Bonnie dog for sunrise. And as it is a frosty morning, that should be lovely. We are on the east coast so we get the sunrise out of the ocean. But after that we hope to just have a relaxing day at home.

I made a HUGE pot of leek and potato soup yesterday. Its one of the few things I use white flour for.

Leeks, sautéed in stock for about 5 minutes until wilted. Add potatoes, ones that will go mushy in the soup....I use Agria here. Add stock to cover. Cook until potatoes go mushy. Mash lightly but leave lots of lumps. Mix 2 tablespoons white flour with plant milk in a separate bowl, (more or less according to how many leeks and potatoes you have !) and mix until lumps have gone. Add to soup. bring back to the boil to thicken. Add pepper, and salt if you use it. Eat! Yum.

So we will have that today. I will probably make some wholemeal pitta bread to go with it as its a holiday. I dont often eat bread myself as I find it easy to over eat.

This coming weekend I will probably be making cup-a-soup. I make a thick pumpkin and lentil soup or similar, leave it to cool overnight and then pour it onto dehydrator trays the next morning. Dehydrate until dry, put through the processor to turn to powder, store in an airtight jar. Then when you want soup you just have to put a few spoonfuls in a mug, pour boiling water over and stir! Fantastic when coming back all cold and wet from a run.

This post is all about soup! However it is midwinter here, so we are eating (drinking?) a lot of soup. :D
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:55 am

it has not been a good weekend. I managed to tear my rotator cuff in my shoulder. Saturday was really bad, I ended up taking codeine to sleep at night. Hopefully I will get an appointment with a physiotherapist today, and start getting it fixed. One thing that did help...I went to the hot pools on Sunday night, and after soaking it in hot water for half an hour I could move it much better, so I did 2 minutes in the cold plunge, 10 minutes in the hot for 3 cycles, and after that I had more movement. It stiffened up again last night, but its better this morning than yesterday morning, so I shall hot pool again tonight.

Food wise. I made and dehydrated potato and leek soup, and kumera and lentil soup. So I have 3 jars of cupasoup for whenever a snack attack hits and and I fancy something warm. Also great for after running or after aikido...not that there will be much aikido going on until after my shoulder heals. Because I had been cooking and dehydrating with a sore arm I didnt fancy making much for supper last night so we just had baked potatoes and canned fat free baked beans.

I'm a bit down in the dumps about my arm, but it is what it is. It could be worse, it could be my legs!
Katie

Ruff

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:58 pm

Ruff wrote:it has not been a good weekend. I managed to tear my rotator cuff in my shoulder. Saturday was really bad, I ended up taking codeine to sleep at night. Hopefully I will get an appointment with a physiotherapist today, and start getting it fixed. One thing that did help...I went to the hot pools on Sunday night, and after soaking it in hot water for half an hour I could move it much better, so I did 2 minutes in the cold plunge, 10 minutes in the hot for 3 cycles, and after that I had more movement. It stiffened up again last night, but its better this morning than yesterday morning, so I shall hot pool again tonight.

Food wise. I made and dehydrated potato and leek soup, and kumera and lentil soup. So I have 3 jars of cupasoup for whenever a snack attack hits and and I fancy something warm. Also great for after running or after aikido...not that there will be much aikido going on until after my shoulder heals. Because I had been cooking and dehydrating with a sore arm I didnt fancy making much for supper last night so we just had baked potatoes and canned fat free baked beans.

I'm a bit down in the dumps about my arm, but it is what it is. It could be worse, it could be my legs!

Hi Katie, :)

Sorry to hear about your shoulder... Hoping that you heal easily and quickly. Definitely feel for you on extra fiasco required for cooking and other things...

I liked your John Bingham quote... Back when I used to run, there was a "Penguin" team at some of the larger races - very inspiring (and his book is as well).

Take care,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Trinity » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:15 pm

Katie, I also am so sorry about your shoulder. Is it the same shoulder as the hand you write with? Is it in a sling to lessen the jostling? I hope you heal soon. If you walk around your house for 30 minutes it counts as exercise in my book.

I am intrigued by your 5 am waking time. Does your husband follow the same routine? I’m sorry if you wrote about this elsewhere and I missed it. Every time I commit to getting up early, after a few days of not being able to get enough sleep I get run down and exhausted and therefore grumpy. Early morning is the best part of the day though. Do you ever nap?

I’m going to have to look for that John Bingham book at the library as it doesn’t look like I can borrow an e-book of it. Enjoy your tea and soup and stay warm!
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:53 am

I am getting groceries today and I am adding leeks to my list (all your fault :lol: ) ! Also getting some extra potatoes to make that leek and potato soup ! Sounds so delicious !! Thanks !

How is the shoulder doing today?? So sorry you have to go through this Ruff ! Sounds very painful :-( . Hope you can get some therapy soon and get it feeling better.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:20 pm

Trinity wrote:Katie, I also am so sorry about your shoulder. Is it the same shoulder as the hand you write with? Is it in a sling to lessen the jostling? I hope you heal soon. If you walk around your house for 30 minutes it counts as exercise in my book.

I am intrigued by your 5 am waking time. Does your husband follow the same routine? I’m sorry if you wrote about this elsewhere and I missed it. Every time I commit to getting up early, after a few days of not being able to get enough sleep I get run down and exhausted and therefore grumpy. Early morning is the best part of the day though. Do you ever nap?

I’m going to have to look for that John Bingham book at the library as it doesn’t look like I can borrow an e-book of it. Enjoy your tea and soup and stay warm!

Yes, its my writing/typing/crochet hand. No sling as they dont want it to 'set' stiffly, better to keep it moving gently. I can wear one outside if I dont want people to jostle me.

I went to the hot pools last night and soaked it which was very nice, and might do that all week. They are at the pier, less than 1km from my house (I live on a beach, 1 km south of the pier, which not only has hot pools but an amazing public library with a view over the pacific...)

I take my husband a cup of tea in bed at 5am and he gets up about half past. He has slowly developed into an early morning person too. Dont push it...maybe get up early at the weekends. We find we are much more productive in the mornings, and the evenings are a dead loss, and tend to be time wasting activities...netflix I'm looking at you! And yes, we often nap...not all the time, but often enough. If I have aikido in the evening I will always nap for an hour in the afternoon, or I won't get through it!.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:22 pm

squealcat wrote:I am getting groceries today and I am adding leeks to my list (all your fault :lol: ) ! Also getting some extra potatoes to make that leek and potato soup ! Sounds so delicious !! Thanks !

How is the shoulder doing today?? So sorry you have to go through this Ruff ! Sounds very painful :-( . Hope you can get some therapy soon and get it feeling better.

-squealcat

the shoulder is as well as can be expected. I have hopes it will heal quite quickly.

Enjoy the soup!
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:23 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:
I liked your John Bingham quote... Back when I used to run, there was a "Penguin" team at some of the larger races - very inspiring (and his book is as well).

Take care,
Stephanie

The John Bingham book is great, I hope you can track it down!
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:25 pm

Folks....my arm is aching now. I might catch up on individual journals later when it has had a rest, but I will read them, my apologies if I dont manage to post any more today. I wrote about habits on Stephanie's journal (vegseekingfit) and I was going to talk about that here too but enough is enough for the moment.
Katie

Ruff

Postby squealcat » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:05 pm

Ruff, I just read what you wrote on Stephanie's page about goals/habits. I really liked "Atomic Habits" by James Clear and have a copy of that book. I was just thinking about reading it again. You are right about goals vs habits. I need to read the chapter about getting rid of habits and substituting with another habit. Husband goes to the store/ squealcat goes to the fridge and takes something out to eat......Squealcat goes grocery shopping/ squealcat picks out something to treat herself. I heard someone say today that we (I) are one decision away from shifting our life in a different direction. Thinking about that decision helped me to stay away from some very tempting things at the grocery store. I decided to get the healthy things I needed (I DID buy a couple of leeks :nod: ) and I decided to stay away from the things that didn't serve my health well. Not sure I am explaining myself well but just had to comment.

-squealcat (Marilyn )
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:33 pm

Hey Katie! :-D

Thank you a million for taking the time when your typing arm is injured to post a fantastic thing on my journal!!! Love your post and appreciate this perspective so much!!! It is rational and calming to me (and makes perfect sense)... I have this book on reserve - but it is slow, so may just purchase- sounds phenomenal... Your example is awesome!!

I hope that you are healing well... Take care!

Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals